Thread: Paul Hackett Quote

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers," Hackett said in a statement released by the team. "Jon Gruden has had remarkable success and continues to be on the cutting edge of offensive football. Jon brings so much enthusiasm to the game and I am really excited to be a part of it."

what a laugh. the paper said that he will probbaly be taking over for bill muir next year as oc of the bucs. too bad for gruden that "cutting edge" and "enthusiasm" are definitely not the words you would use to describe hacketts offense. i think i'd go with "out-dated" and "lethargic".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck TB !!! Get your rabbit's foot out, as well as four leaf clover and anything else you think might work. Your gonna need it. Shame on TB for hiring this guy.
    Then again, with our luck, they'll with the SB again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe another NFL team was dumb enough to pick this guy up. It reminds me of the time when the Jets were dumb enough to pick up Kotite.

He should be on the same sideline as Kotite.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a shame fpr the Bucs. If he satyed in the QB coach position, I actually think it would have been a major positive. W/ the prospect of being OC, this hire turns into a huge negative.

Hacker definitely knows what he is doing w/ QBs and is a smart offensive mind. Many of his plays were well designed and certainly we had an effective the running game. But the gjuy was awful at play calling, offensive game mgt. and many times with strategy.

Hacker is an asset as an assistant but a hge liability as a coordinator.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by LesterLyles[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:12 AM
    [b] What a shame fpr the Bucs. If he satyed in the QB coach position, I actually think it would have been a major positive. W/ the prospect of being OC, this hire turns into a huge negative.

Hacker definitely knows what he is doing w/ QBs and is a smart offensive mind. Many of his plays were well designed and certainly we had an effective the running game. But the gjuy was awful at play calling, offensive game mgt. and many times with strategy.

Hacker is an asset as an assistant but a hge liability as a coordinator. [/b][/quote]
    But since Gruden is a X and O man Hackett will have to do what he
    says! Or Gruden might Take some of what Hackett comes up with
    and call it himself!! Hackett worked under Bill Walsh and the 49's
    were far from conservative.. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gruden calls the plays. Muir just had the title OC in Tampa, along with title offensive line coach. If Muir does retire, it will probably be the same setup. I'd be surprised if Gruden gave up the play calling all together. Hackett's title right now is QB coach and he will probably *help out* Gruden with game planning and play calling. Besides being the HC and calling plays, Gruden also is very much involved with teaching quarterbacks and wide receivers....which is quite a lot to handle. I believe he feels he found someone he knows well who will help him and lighten his load a bit. He got criticized last season by players for inconsistent game presentations, he probably was spreading himself too thin. So, sounds like this will be a good collaboration.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It'll be interesting to see how well Hacket does down there.

If he does well, will that be enough to make you realize how badly you overrate your offensive talent on the Jets?

It'll be interesting to see how his offense looks with a quarterback who can actually make all the required "NFL" throws and receivers who don't suck.

Time will tell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PYPER[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:51 AM
    [b] It'll be interesting to see how well Hacket does down there.

If he does well, will that be enough to make you realize how badly you overrate your offensive talent on the Jets?

It'll be interesting to see how his offense looks with a quarterback who can actually make all the required "NFL" throws and receivers who don't suck.

Time will tell. [/b][/quote]
    Pyper, if you don't know he is a bad coordinator, and generally speaking, bad when he is given a position of authority, than you don't know much about football. Don't try and spin this on the talent.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB Coach and Offensive Coordinator are not the same thing.
    Paul Hacket = Good QB Coach, Bad offensive Coordinator
    Just like some great coordinators don't necessarilly make great head coaches.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PYPER[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 08:51 AM

Have you been watching the same Bucs that I saw this last season?

Most of their talent is on D. Michael Clayton was a good rookie receiver, but Brian Griese at QB? I'll take an injured Penny over that stiff.

Pittman? Yeah, great RB. ;)

Much better than Jordan or CuMart. :rolleyes:

Get a clue. If Hackett gets anywhere near an OC job there, the Bucs will regret it.

It will be a classic example of how to make an ineffective offense more inneffective.

Time will tell indeed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PYPER[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:51 AM

One big difference.

Hackett is not going to be calling the plays. Gruden is. It is his offense. Hackett is doing nothing more than working with the QB.

If he makes Simms a top flight qb it would not suprise me. He knows offense he is and always will be conservative in his play calling.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b] If he does well, will that be enough to make you realize how badly you overrate your offensive talent on the Jets?

[/b][/quote]
    No, but it will sure clear up alot of opinions on Herman Edwards.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah well it won't be happening this coming season. he won't have a chance to be the oc until the 2006-2007 season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling a guy like Hackett can do well in TB. Gruden wont allow his conservative ways to go on for a minute, so I see Gruden using his plays and forcing him to consistently open it up. We'll see if the criticisms of Herms usage of Hackett was correct or just another case of people finding a reason to rip on Herm\.