Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: McKenzie and Fergy can go ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Walt Jones and Pat Williams. I don't know the situation with either of these guys other than they are UFAs, and they will cost us more than Mac and Fergy ... but, that would be a huge upgrade.

Mackenzie is a solid RT, but Jones is an absolute stud LT. And that would allow Fabini to move back to RT, where he is better suited. Williams is a much better run stuffer than Fergy and the double teaming that teams have to do against him and his ability to clog the middle would make instant all-pros out of Robertson and Vilma.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by dmaynard[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 01:02 PM
    [b] Williams is a much better run stuffer than Fergy and the double teaming that teams have to do against him and his ability to clog the middle would make instant all-pros out of Robertson and Vilma. [/b][/quote]

Good point about the double teams freeing up Robertson and Vilma, but after the year Fergy had, Williams would have to [b]consistently[/b] perform at a high level to exceed Fergy's production.

IMO, Williams is to up and down.

Fergy played like a man possessed down the stretch and had a monster game against the Steelers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fergy did have a very good year, but having watched him his whole career, there is no way I expect a repeat. Plus, he is a tweener. We need that really fat ass type (Williams, Washington, Adams, etc. ) who can clog up the middle. I don't think the Jets have ever had a guy like that. I guess Abdul Salam was the closest in the role he played back in the Sack Exchange.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by dmaynard[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 01:17 PM
    [b] Fergy did have a very good year, but having watched him his whole career, there is no way I expect a repeat. Plus, he is a tweener. We need that really fat ass type (Williams, Washington, Adams, etc. ) who can clog up the middle. I don't think the Jets have ever had a guy like that. I guess Abdul Salam was the closest in the role he played back in the Sack Exchange. [/b][/quote]
    i could be way off here, but hasn't Fergy's big seasons come in contract years. I could be blowing this out of my a**, but i thought i remembered seeing this somewhere.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone notice how Ferguson only has exceptional years in his contract year???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    mckenzie doesn't really fit at right tackle ... not a road grader ... more of a finese blocker ... and maybe not good enough to play left tackle.

his is an average right tackle ... who will end up getting pro bowl or close to pro bowl caliber right tackle money.

i agree that we should move fabini back to right tackle and address the LT position.

As far as Fergie is concerned ... he played like he should be resigned ... all depends how much $$$ he wants and what the alternatives would be

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Williams will get more action than Ferguson. Mackensie did not seem to be a good this year as last. He will probally get between 4-5 mill a year at most.

Walter jones want 17mill bonus and 7mill average. That is why the seahawks have not been unable to come to terms. So unless you want to spend that type of money on a LT forget it. He wont take no backloaded contract he will just keep playing for 8.5mill a year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 08:38 PM
    [b] Williams will get more action than Ferguson. Mackensie did not seem to be a good this year as last. He will probally get between 4-5 mill a year at most.

Walter jones want 17mill bonus and 7mill average. That is why the seahawks have not been unable to come to terms. So unless you want to spend that type of money on a LT forget it. He wont take no backloaded contract he will just keep playing for 8.5mill a year. [/b][/quote]
    Plus, when he holds out (which has happened 5 consecutive years), he gets to skip training camp, and of course, the 20% bump in salary.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    henderson wants his wants ferguson to return. and when a guy takes ur D from door-mat to domination (as the JI home page says), u give him what he wants