Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Humble Opinion on our $64 million man

Hall Of Fame
    I've had a tough time over the past several weeks posting here for a number of reasons, but some of the recent backlash on Chad has, quite frankly, sickened me.

So I figured I'd throw in my two cents for anyone who cares. Green colored glasses you ask? They fit me just fine.

I believe Chad will ultimately become the lasting face of this franchise and will lead us to the promised land. This defense, for the next 5-7 years, will put us in nearly every game, but Chad will be THE guy that takes us to the next level.

He is a PLAYER. He has shown me on more than enough occasions that he has the tools and the smarts to win.

And with his new shoulder and his new offensive coordinator, he will FINALLY show that he can be an elite winnning QB. He has won in this league, but he has not been consistent enough. I will admit that, but he has had some physical and coordinator related issues to deal with. Am I making excuses for him? Maybe. This is my thread so I will take liberties.

His injury effected his MIND, which is one of his most important traits. The throw to Archeulleta at the goal line? No WAY Chad of 2002 makes that throw. He hit EVERY open guy that year, and at times in 2003 and 2004, looked to be the same guy.

He gets it cleaned out and rehabbed, he can't help to be stronger, which will allow him to go back to just playing, letting his mind make the decisions without having to think about the shoulder.

I love the revisionist history here, by the way. Months ago, many here (those without silly Vinny agenda's) decried that we MUST sign Chad as our number 1 priority. And Bradway and Tannenbaum did, for what most agreed was a pretty fair number.

Some one had the gall to ask in a thread the other day "how much would we pay for Chad now?"

Did anyone else find that intellectually insulting? How much would the Chiefs have to pay for Derrick Thomas after he was crushed in a car accident. How much could the Kings have signed Bobby Hurely had they waited until AFTER his car flipped, or the Duke kid that dumped his motorcycle? How much would the Yankees pay for Giamibi now? Geez, have some guts and admit that there are costs and benefits and timing issues for signing long-term contracts, especially for one regarded by more than a few as a franchise type guy.

All I know is that Drew Brees has SUCKED for about 4 years in this league--NO ONE had him rated anywhere NEAR Chad--yet he puts together and incredible year and people here--alleged Jet fans--whine that Chad couldn't carry his jock.

The Quincy Carter contingent calling for him at 1000% percent to start over Chad at 50% are just as sickening. Did anyone actually WATCH this guy play? I'd rather have Chad on his death bed than see Quincy play another down in Green and White.

Adult (I guess) Jet fans seriously asking how bad would the cap hit be if we CUT Chad and signed Billy Volek.

Billy Volek?!? Seriously??

How about we give Chad Billy Volek's offensive coordinator?

Oh, we did? Good. And Billy Volek will be serving fries somewhere while Chad hoists the Lombardi in a year or two.

Avowed Jet fans screaming, not that Chad isn't that good or is mediocre or overrated--but that he out and out SUCKS? It's all opinion, I know, but really, he sucks? Like, sucks, as in Ryan Leaf sucks, or Joey Harrington sucks or Vinny sucks?

Torn rotator cuff and all, horrible OC, no true number one weapon (at WR or TE), still has great completion % (notwithstanding the dinks and dunks), still has pretty good TD/INT ratio, and he SUCKS?

Stellar games all came against the very worst defense in the league. He NEVER beat a good team. Ever. But bad games? Just proved how how easy it is to sheme against his "noodle arm".

And this isn't even from our resident Pat contingent.

It is sickening, really.

Man, I can't wait for the draft.

Amen Stokes. When Chad does take us to SB ,all the naysayers wil be slobbering all over him and we will see 500 "Chad's the Man" posts. The fact is that a healthy Chad with some decent protection (better than this year) gives us a better situation at QB than most teams in the league.

[quote][i]Originally posted by JStokes[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 01:01 PM
    [b] I've had a tough time over the past several weeks posting here for a number of reasons, but some of the recent backlash on Chad has, quite frankly, sickened me.

So I figured I'd throw in my two cents for anyone who cares. Green colored glasses you ask? They fit me just fine.

I believe Chad will ultimately become the lasting face of this franchise and will lead us to the promised land. This defense, for the next 5-7 years, will put us in nearly every game, but Chad will be THE guy that takes us to the next level.

He is a PLAYER. He has shown me on more than enough occasions that he has the tools and the smarts to win.

And with his new shoulder and his new offensive coordinator, he will FINALLY show that he can be an elite winnning QB. He has won in this league, but he has not been consistent enough. I will admit that, but he has had some physical and coordinator related issues to deal with. Am I making excuses for him? Maybe. This is my thread so I will take liberties.

His injury effected his MIND, which is one of his most important traits. The throw to Archeulleta at the goal line? No WAY Chad of 2002 makes that throw. He hit EVERY open guy that year, and at times in 2003 and 2004, looked to be the same guy.

He gets it cleaned out and rehabbed, he can't help to be stronger, which will allow him to go back to just playing, letting his mind make the decisions without having to think about the shoulder.

I love the revisionist history here, by the way. Months ago, many here (those without silly Vinny agenda's) decried that we MUST sign Chad as our number 1 priority. And Bradway and Tannenbaum did, for what most agreed was a pretty fair number.

Some one had the gall to ask in a thread the other day "how much would we pay for Chad now?"

Did anyone else find that intellectually insulting? How much would the Chiefs have to pay for Derrick Thomas after he was crushed in a car accident. How much could the Kings have signed Bobby Hurely had they waited until AFTER his car flipped, or the Duke kid that dumped his motorcycle? How much would the Yankees pay for Giamibi now? Geez, have some guts and admit that there are costs and benefits and timing issues for signing long-term contracts, especially for one regarded by more than a few as a franchise type guy.

All I know is that Drew Brees has SUCKED for about 4 years in this league--NO ONE had him rated anywhere NEAR Chad--yet he puts together and incredible year and people here--alleged Jet fans--whine that Chad couldn't carry his jock.

The Quincy Carter contingent calling for him at 1000% percent to start over Chad at 50% are just as sickening. Did anyone actually WATCH this guy play? I'd rather have Chad on his death bed than see Quincy play another down in Green and White.

Adult (I guess) Jet fans seriously asking how bad would the cap hit be if we CUT Chad and signed Billy Volek.

Billy Volek?!? Seriously??

How about we give Chad Billy Volek's offensive coordinator?

Oh, we did? Good. And Billy Volek will be serving fries somewhere while Chad hoists the Lombardi in a year or two.

Avowed Jet fans screaming, not that Chad isn't that good or is mediocre or overrated--but that he out and out SUCKS? It's all opinion, I know, but really, he sucks? Like, sucks, as in Ryan Leaf sucks, or Joey Harrington sucks or Vinny sucks?

Torn rotator cuff and all, horrible OC, no true number one weapon (at WR or TE), still has great completion % (notwithstanding the dinks and dunks), still has pretty good TD/INT ratio, and he SUCKS?

Stellar games all came against the very worst defense in the league. He NEVER beat a good team. Ever. But bad games? Just proved how how easy it is to sheme against his "noodle arm".

And this isn't even from our resident Pat contingent.

It is sickening, really.

Man, I can't wait for the draft. [/b][/quote]
    i agree with most of what you saud, but i tend not to think of people wuth 45,000 yards, 270 tds as somebody who sucks.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JStokes[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:01 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

Since I usually refrain from posting in any PennyBoy threads, I guess I'll add my two cents worth.

First of all, I agree with you about the defense keeping the Jets in the majority of games over the next 5-7 years. Pick up a quality corner and a big time hitting SS, and the Jets D should be all set.

PennyBoy is like the Tale of Two Cities.

Against mediorce to poor defenses, he is capable of moving the ball, making the right reads and getting the offense into the end zone.

However, against top 10 defenses, he struggles mightily. He seems to make poor reads, throws the ball into double and triple coverage and has thrown some god-awful picks.

Facts are facts. He has not demonstrated that he has the "tools and smarts" against good defensive teams.

I love him too. I hope you are right. I think we all know he is a gym rat and will do his best to be back in shape by the time that preseason rolls around.

Good for you Stokes. Chad can win big games. Anyone with a clue knows this to be true. Who was the last visiting QB to win in NE? Yup, Chad.

He proved how tough he was this year and by coming back early last year.

He's our franchise on offense and with he and Vilma, we have young quality leaders on both sides of the ball.

With a healthy shoulder and a real OC, Chad will make us a solid offense again. This team is headed in the right direction. Dinger will help Chad learn until he can throw.

Hall Of Fame
    GREAT POST STOKES, I THINK YOU WENT A LITTLE CRAZY WITH THE D. THOMAS THING BUT I TOTALLY AGREE WITH OTHERWISE..

PS, Vinny Testaverde rocks.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:19 PM
    [b]
    Who was the last visiting QB to win in NE? Yup, Chad.

[/b][/quote]

Come on Zep, you constantly use this one game, [b]which was over two years ago[/b], as your example how PennyBoy wins the big games. :blink:

I'll tell you what, PennyBoy had a great opportunity against the Steelers to end all doubts. For $64 million, I would expect my QB to take the opening kickoff of OT and drive the team down for a TD or a chip shot FG.

He failed.

I agree about Chad.

I don't think we have 5-7 years though.

This is a 3 year window. Either we make the big game in the next three years or we will be back to "restructuring".

D-Hen, Herm & Hym-D will only be around for another 3 years as a unit.

Really, we should get to the big game in two years, but next year get to the second biggest show.

Yes, it is a lot of furtune telling, but this D, a new OC and GREAT COACH IN HERM (That is for you TomShame), can get us there.

Bionic shoulder would help.

BZ

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[quote][b]Against mediorce to poor defenses, he is capable of moving the ball, making the right reads and getting the offense into the end zone.

However, against top 10 defenses, he struggles mightily. He seems to make poor reads, throws the ball into double and triple coverage and has thrown some god-awful picks.[/b][/quote]

This is basically true....but, as evidenced by this year's record, beating the mediocre teams and the bad teams puts you at 10-6 and ripe for a playoff spot....But, the reality is is that Chad hasn't been able to beat those elite teams yet.....if he can't elevate his game in the coming years, the Jets will be a 1st round casualty every year.

Personally, i think he has the ability to take that next step....but if you want to base it on his past performance, he clearly hasn't shown it yet.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 02:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX &#064; Jan 25 2005, 02:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JStokes[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:01 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

Since I usually refrain from posting in any PennyBoy threads, I guess I&#39;ll add my two cents worth.

First of all, I agree with you about the defense keeping the Jets in the majority of games over the next 5-7 years. Pick up a quality corner and a big time hitting SS, and the Jets D should be all set.

PennyBoy is like the Tale of Two Cities.

Against mediorce to poor defenses, he is capable of moving the ball, making the right reads and getting the offense into the end zone.

However, against top 10 defenses, he struggles mightily. He seems to make poor reads, throws the ball into double and triple coverage and has thrown some god-awful picks.

Facts are facts. He has not demonstrated that he has the "tools and smarts" against good defensive teams. [/b][/quote]
    Wasn&#39;t Miami a top 10 defense?

Also Denver and Colts in 02 were both top 10.

[quote][i]Originally posted by crasherino[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 03:26 PM
    [b] if he can&#39;t elevate his game in the coming years, the Jets will be a 1st round casualty every year.
    [/b][/quote]
    Interesting, in that he had us one kick away from the third round this year and that was with a bad shoulder...

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 02:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jan 25 2005, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jet-Zeppelin[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:19 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

Come on Zep, you constantly use this one game, [b]which was over two years ago[/b], as your example how PennyBoy wins the big games. :blink:

I&#39;ll tell you what, PennyBoy had a great opportunity against the Steelers to end all doubts. For &#036;64 million, I would expect my QB to take the opening kickoff of OT and drive the team down for a TD or a chip shot FG.

He failed. [/b][/quote]
    First pass was a completion to the 50 called back for holding....Jets as a TEAM failed to overcome 1st and 20. Twice he put them in FG range which Brady has made a career off of and the kicker missed.

That FG goes through and you don&#39;t have a thing to say.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 04:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jan 25 2005, 04:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jet-Zeppelin[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:19 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

I&#39;ll tell you what, PennyBoy had a great opportunity against the Steelers to end all doubts. For &#036;64 million, I would expect my QB to take the opening kickoff of OT and drive the team down for a TD or a chip shot FG.

He failed. [/b][/quote]
    why did he fail? oh yeah.. doug brien missed 2 Fgs in the last 2:02.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 02:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jan 25 2005, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jet-Zeppelin[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:19 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

He failed. [/b][/quote]
    Also TX .....besides Brady when was the last time one of "YOUR" QB&#39;s accomplished that drive you state is so common place?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Chads Offense scored 3 points in Pitt&#33; The D scored a TD..Special Teams
    scored a TD&#33; And instead of that Field Goal had the offense scored just
    1 TD..The Jets win and the missed FG&#39;s are not a Factor..I hope Chads
    surgery goes well and he&#39;ll be ready for Camp&#33; Through the rest of the
    Winter him and the Dinger will put in many hours together,bet on that&#33; ;)

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chad101[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:35 PM
    [b]
    Also TX .....besides Brady when was the last time one of "YOUR" QB&#39;s accomplished that drive you state is so common place? [/b][/quote]

Are you really serious 101? :blink:

What about the Raiders snow game? He was 12-13 in the 4th quarter and OT. Just like the Jets, Pats got the ball first in OT. Brady took them down the field to the 3 yard line for a chippy FG and the win.

What about the Super Bowl versus the Rams? 1:29 left and beginning on their own 20 with no TO&#39;s. Four clutch passes and they are in FG range.

What about the Super Bowl versus the Panthers? Again, 3 clutch passes (especially the final throw) to set up the winning FG.

And probably his best late game drive. Last year on Monday night versus the Broncos, Pats down by 3, less than 2 minutes Brady takes them downfield. On 3rd down on the 23 (which would have been a 40 yard FG) he doesn&#39;t take a little sissy knee. He drops back and hits Givens for a game-winning TD. That&#39;s called playing the game to win. ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 02:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jan 25 2005, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chad101[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:35 PM
    [b]
    Also TX .....besides Brady when was the last time one of "YOUR" QB&#39;s accomplished that drive you state is so common place? [/b][/quote]

Are you really serious 101? :blink:

What about the Raiders snow game? He was 12-13 in the 4th quarter and OT. Just like the Jets, Pats got the ball first in OT. Brady took them down the field to the 3 yard line for a chippy FG and the win.

What about the Super Bowl versus the Rams? 1:29 left and beginning on their own 20 with no TO&#39;s. Four clutch passes and they are in FG range.

What about the Super Bowl versus the Panthers? Again, 3 clutch passes (especially the final throw) to set up the winning FG.

And probably his best late game drive. Last year on Monday night versus the Broncos, Pats down by 3, less than 2 minutes Brady takes them downfield. On 3rd down on the 23 (which would have been a 40 yard FG) he doesn&#39;t take a little sissy knee. He drops back and hits Givens for a game-winning TD. That&#39;s called playing the game to win. ;) [/b][/quote]
    I said besides Brady TX. I am well aware how good Brady is.

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 03:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX &#064; Jan 25 2005, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Jet-Zeppelin[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:19 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

He failed.[/b][/quote]
    People say he cannot win a big game. That was a big game. So was the SD game this year and he played a great game, which in retrospect was amazing, since he had a shoulder injury worthy of surgery. If our kicker is any good at all, we lose to your on Sunday and were an upset away from a SB. Who knows, maybe we give you a beter game that the Steelers.

Big games? It&#39;s a repeated fallacy with regards to this player. He&#39;s failed against NE like [b]everyone else[/b].

I don&#39;t care what people say about the kid. I go to the games. I&#39;ve seen every home start he&#39;s ever made. When TV talking heads say he&#39;s missing open guys deep, I know it&#39;s horse s**t. I see what the TV does not show.

He played much of this year hurt. The 2nd Pat game and both Steeler games.

You want to say he&#39;s injury prone? That sticks until he plays some full seasons. Though he did finish every year he&#39;s started. He&#39;s having surgery post season and may not miss any games. He&#39;s been hurt, but it&#39;s hard to question his toughness.

I think that Penny is being sold way short. I have been consistent in my opinion. I don&#39;t freak out either way. All the football people I know and trust think he&#39;s great.

He&#39;ll be successful as long as he&#39;s healthy. He led the team well this year in spite of everything.