Thread: My Humble Opinion on our $64 million man

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chad101[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:51 PM
    [b]
    I said besides Brady TX. I am well aware how good Brady is. [/b][/quote]

oops, my bad 101.

Uh, lets see.

How about Tony Eason's late-game drive in the Super Bowl against the Bears? That made it a respectable 46-10.

Or maybe Scott Zolack's game winning drive against the Giants in a 1992 pre-season game.

I get your point 101. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 02:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jan 25 2005, 02:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chad101[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:51 PM
    [b]
    I said besides Brady TX. I am well aware how good Brady is. [/b][/quote]

oops, my bad 101.

Uh, lets see.

How about Tony Eason&#39;s late-game drive in the Super Bowl against the Bears? That made it a respectable 46-10.

Or maybe Scott Zolack&#39;s game winning drive against the Giants in a 1992 pre-season game.

I get your point 101. ;) [/b][/quote]
    too funny patsfantx........oh yeah congrats on another great season, I know your input had a lot to do with your teams success

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 02:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jan 25 2005, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chad101[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:35 PM
    [b]
    Also TX .....besides Brady when was the last time one of "YOUR" QB&#39;s accomplished that drive you state is so common place? [/b][/quote]

Are you really serious 101? :blink:

What about the Raiders snow game? He was 12-13 in the 4th quarter and OT. Just like the Jets, Pats got the ball first in OT. Brady took them down the field to the 3 yard line for a chippy FG and the win.

What about the Super Bowl versus the Rams? 1:29 left and beginning on their own 20 with no TO&#39;s. Four clutch passes and they are in FG range.

What about the Super Bowl versus the Panthers? Again, 3 clutch passes (especially the final throw) to set up the winning FG.

And probably his best late game drive. Last year on Monday night versus the Broncos, Pats down by 3, less than 2 minutes Brady takes them downfield. On 3rd down on the 23 (which would have been a 40 yard FG) he doesn&#39;t take a little sissy knee. He drops back and hits Givens for a game-winning TD. That&#39;s called playing the game to win. ;) [/b][/quote]
    Man, it&#39;s gotta be splendid to have the best kicker in the game

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joewilly[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 03:24 PM
    [b]
    too funny patsfantx........oh yeah congrats on another great season, I know your input had a lot to do with your teams success [/b][/quote]

Thanks joewilly.

Yea, I know BB appreciates our daily phone conversation as well. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Jan 25 2005, 03:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Jan 25 2005, 03:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JStokes[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:01 PM
    [b]

I believe Chad will ultimately become the lasting face of this franchise and will lead us to the promised land. This defense, for the next 5-7 years, will put us in nearly every game, but Chad will be THE guy that takes us to the next level.

He is a PLAYER. He has shown me on more than enough occasions that he has the tools and the smarts to win.

[/b][/quote]

Since I usually refrain from posting in any PennyBoy threads, I guess I&#39;ll add my two cents worth.

First of all, I agree with you about the defense keeping the Jets in the majority of games over the next 5-7 years. Pick up a quality corner and a big time hitting SS, and the Jets D should be all set.

PennyBoy is like the Tale of Two Cities.

Against mediorce to poor defenses, he is capable of moving the ball, making the right reads and getting the offense into the end zone.

However, against top 10 defenses, he struggles mightily. He seems to make poor reads, throws the ball into double and triple coverage and has thrown some god-awful picks.

Facts are facts. He has not demonstrated that he has the "tools and smarts" against good defensive teams. [/b][/quote]
    Further proof of the need of a Quality QB Coach. Anyone who disagrees about the need of a QB coach is fooling him/her self.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetman67[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 03:34 PM
    [b]
    Further proof of the need of a Quality QB Coach. Anyone who disagrees about the need of a QB coach is fooling him/her self. [/b][/quote]

#1- Play making TE with good hands.

#2- QB coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]JZ[/b] - Chad has not beaten an elite team. The New England team he beat in 2002 was not very good and it was not so much what he did to win, but Troy Brown did to lose. His fumble of a punt gave the Jets momentum back and ultimately the game.

The knock of Chad not winning a big game is a little unfair, but when push comes to shove, he has not beaten an elite team. The coulda choulda woulda is nice, but if Chad does not throw that pick early, the Jets might have been kneeling in the end instead of kicking.

For Chad there always seems to be an excuse whether it is deserving or not. Chad apologist like to point to last year and write it off as his slide was due to the injury, yet when he came back he had a QB rating around 110 after four games and then when you would think he would hit his stride, he collapsed.

Chad is quickly becoming potential unrealized.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 04:40 PM
    [b][b]JZ[/b] - Chad has not beaten an elite team. The New England team he beat in 2002 was not very good and it was not so much what he did to win, but Troy Brown did to lose. His fumble of a punt gave the Jets momentum back and ultimately the game.

The knock of Chad not winning a big game is a little unfair, but when push comes to shove, he has not beaten an elite team. The coulda choulda woulda is nice, but if Chad does not throw that pick early, the Jets might have been kneeling in the end instead of kicking.

For Chad there always seems to be an excuse whether it is deserving or not. Chad apologist like to point to last year and write it off as his slide was due to the injury, yet when he came back he had a QB rating around 110 after four games and then when you would think he would hit his stride, he collapsed.

Chad is quickly becoming potential unrealized.[/b][/quote]
    And the Chad folks are using convenience? You are making excuses for a loss back in 2002. You got beat 30-17 or something like that. You always give me a hard time for lack of facts. Chad is the last visiting QB to win at Foxboro. That&#39;s a fact.

Never beaten an elite team? They were the defending Champs. Right, the Pats are elite when they beat us and bad when they lose. You win that game and you are a playoff team that year and could have repeated. Oakland and the Titans were not that great.

I have nothing bad to say about Brady. Still, let Brady play for NY and for Hackett. Let him play on an offense where only half the players have any faith in the OC. He might not look as flawless then.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetfan16[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:14 PM
    [b]
    i agree with most of what you saud, but i tend not to think of people wuth 45,000 yards, 270 tds as somebody who sucks. [/b][/quote]
    yeah 270 TD... and 290 INT

he sucks&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]JZ[/b]- Ppuuhhlleeeaaassseeeee&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; If beating the 2002 New England Patriots is suppossed to be a feather in Chad&#39;s cap, you are sadly barking up the wrong tree. They bore no resemblence to a champion. They were barely 9-7. They needed huge choke jobs by Miami and Chicago to be above .500.

There is no way beating the 2002 Patriots can be considered a &#39;big&#39; win. Beating a 14-2 Patriots team that is among the league leaders in most defensive categories is one thing, beating a 9-7 team that a HS back could crack a 100 on is another thing altogether.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stokes -

Fair enough post, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But are you objective enough to revise your opinion of Chad if he has another sub-par season in 2005? What excuse will he have then for not getting it done or not being able to stay on the field for 16 games?

I hope I am wrong about him, but we&#39;ll see.

(BTW - Your comments about Derrick Thomas and Bobby Hurley are ludicrous - surely you see that. You know I love you boss, but at least be reasonable....)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herm should of fired Hackett last year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 05:27 PM
    [b] They were barely 9-7. They needed huge choke jobs by Miami and Chicago to be above .500.

There is no way beating the 2002 Patriots can be considered a &#39;big&#39; win. [/b][/quote]
    You win that game and you are division champs that year. You were the defending champs. You were 9-7 because you lost. That was a huge win at Foxboro. Diminish it as you wish, but it&#39;s a big win.

I don&#39;t see the point in the standard anyway. Teams win and lose, not QB&#39;s.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hacektt&#39;s gone and so Pennington has another chance good for him.

I still think 64 million for half a season&#39;s work is too much.

If he fails the answer is right behind him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 04:29 PM
    [b]

I hope I am wrong about him, but we&#39;ll see.

(BTW - Your comments about Derrick Thomas and Bobby Hurley are ludicrous - surely you see that. You know I love you boss, but at least be reasonable....) [/b][/quote]
    Not so sure about your first comment below- can you honestly say you have NOT rooted for Chad to fail?

I remember a thread early on this year when you admitted that he was playing well and that you wouldn&#39;t say anything derrogatory about him anymore, but he slipped up and the daggers you whipped out were way too sharp for them sitting in your basement rusting away.

Waiting for him to fail is just on the cusp of hoping he fails.

My D Thomas and B Hurley comments were HYPERBOLE targeted at someone that would question the signing of a good and fair UFA contract MONTHS ago based upon someone getting injured NOW. THAT is ludicrous.

Seriously, were you not just slightly intellectually insulted by being asked what you would pay NOW for a QB that was just about to undergo rotator cuff surgery? How much would you pay now for Giambi or Chad is no less ludicrous than D Thomas or B Hurley--just different physical ailments.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by papichango[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 05:11 PM
    [b]

I still think 64 million for half a season&#39;s work is too much.
    [/b][/quote]
    Holy s**t--I thought his contract was for like 7 years. I didn&#39;t know he got that all THIS year.

Crap, does he get another &#036;64 million next year? Our cap situation must SUCK&#33;

:blink: :blink:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetfan16[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 01:22 PM
    [b] PS, Vinny Testaverde rocks. [/b][/quote]
    watching vinny play is like seeing two sloths mate....really slow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jetfan16[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 02:14 PM
    [b] [/QUOTE]
    i agree with most of what you saud, but i tend not to think of people wuth 45,000 yards, 270 tds as somebody who sucks. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s too bad you never got a chance to see him play.

Trust me. He sucked.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JStokes[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 04:24 PM
    [b] [QUOTE=Jetfan16,Jan 25 2005, 02:14 PM] [/QUOTE]
    i agree with most of what you saud, but i tend not to think of people wuth 45,000 yards, 270 tds as somebody who sucks. [/QUOTE]
    It&#39;s too bad you never got a chance to see him play.

Trust me. He sucked. [/b][/quote]
    yeah, because the bucs of the late 80&#39;s, early 90&#39;s are a comparable team to o say for example , the patriots of 2001-2004 :blink: . btw, despite playing on those piss poor tampa teams and having a horrendous start, he has more touchdowns than picks. we&#39;ll see how badly a 42 year old sucks when he is the story of the year when dallas gets their wide receivers back, and a semi reasonable defense. btw, on the gang green board, everybody was telling me how badly vinny sucks, how great chad is, etc, before the second pats game. and, of course, i ventured to predict that not only would Vinny statistically be better against a #2 ranked redskin defense, than chad would be against a 10 ranked patriot defense, but also, that he would win. and dont give me the shoulder bull****, because he looked pretty damn good the week before. and also, dont even dare say that the dallas team of 2004 was as talented as the jet team of 2004. who do you think is a better running back right now, eddie george, or curtis martin? who had a better defense? if dallas can get their s**t together, (get injured players healthy, improve the defense), then washed up, old, exciting as watching 2 sloths ****ing, Vinny Testaverde will be lighting it up next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet-Zeppelin[/i]@Jan 25 2005, 09:03 PM
    [b]
    You win that game and you are division champs that year. You were the defending champs. You were 9-7 because you lost. That was a huge win at Foxboro. Diminish it as you wish, but it&#39;s a big win.

I don&#39;t see the point in the standard anyway. Teams win and lose, not QB&#39;s. [/b][/quote]
    Agree to a point. It was a big game for the AFC East, but to continually label us as defending champions is disengenious at best. No one in the AFC East was a title contender that year. The team that represented the AFC and got rolled by Tampa rolled you out of the playoffs.

While the Patriots did not fall completely off the map as defending champions like the Buccaneers, they were an average at best team. The expansion Houston Texans gave up less rushing yardage.

As for you previous point, both Oakland and Tennessee kicked our asses that year.