Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Season Will Be Saved

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I came across this on a Canadian website. Chelios is super-confident that an agreement will be reached soon. I agree with him. Too much dough is being lost to let this drag on any longer.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=11...541&hubName=nhl

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way. If they hand out the Stanley Cup in late July, who's gonna leave the beach to watch?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 40 year old multi million from Hockey earnings. He has nothing to lose by saying this. If he's wrong, so what?

I say he's whistling in the dark. Unless the owners get off the Hard cap issue, or the players accept some kind of soft, or floating cap, there is no deal in 2004/2005, and beyond.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007@Jan 26 2005, 12:36 PM
    A 40 year old multi million from Hockey earnings. He has nothing to lose by saying this. If he's wrong, so what?

I say he's whistling in the dark. Unless the owners get off the Hard cap issue, or the players accept some kind of soft, or floating cap, there is no deal in 2004/2005, and beyond.
    Agreed.

Chelios could really care less, he's too busy serving up Chili at Cheli's Chili, his resturant in Dearborn, MI and making money.

He's getting hopes up for no reason.

this season isn't going to happen.

Next year might not either.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chelly isn't known as a BS artist. If he makes that kind of public statement there must be something to it. Get ready for the 2005 36-game schedule.

Stanley Cup Prediction: Montreal over Chicago - 4 games to 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jet Clampett@Jan 26 2005, 06:50 PM
    Chelly isn't known as a BS artist. If he makes that kind of public statement there must be something to it. Get ready for the 2005 36-game schedule.

Stanley Cup Prediction: Montreal over Chicago - 4 games to 2
    Disagreee.

He has no clue. He just wants to play since he didn't get a chance to get over to Europe and play some Hockey and earn some bread, which he does not need. He would rather play here, and is mearly expressing his hope that something will be done to save the season.

I don't see any marathon bargaining sessions going on, until all hours of the night, do you? Until then, nothing gets done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way any agreement is reached to save hockey this year. It ain't happening. Does anyone here want to see a shortened season? My luck, the Flyers would win it, too. No thanks. I would get no satisfaction in that.

Isn't there a soft deadline of February 1st to come to some kind of agreement? That's in five days!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Jan 27 2005, 08:37 AM
    No way any agreement is reached to save hockey this year. It ain't happening. Does anyone here want to see a shortened season? My luck, the Flyers would win it, too. No thanks. I would get no satisfaction in that.

Isn't there a soft deadline of February 1st to come to some kind of agreement? That's in five days!!!
    GGG
    Nice to hear from you back in hockey forum even though there is no hockey!
    I still think that there is no way they come to the type of agreement with certain cost certainty that the owners want to save this season and even though I love hockey to me it is a joke to put up a 30 game regular season.
    The last I read if they would need to start by about Feb. 14 with 9 or 10 day training camp.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The proposal I heard on ESPN had them playing 30-40 games from late February through May, and a Stanley Cup tournament running form June through July. Which is crazy. They aren't competing with baseball or when the NFL opens camps.

Chelios is just thinking wishfully. There aren't many NHL paydays left for a 40+ defensesman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by faba@Jan 27 2005, 08:43 AM
    GGG
    Nice to hear from you back in hockey forum even though there is no hockey!
    I still think that there is no way they come to the type of agreement with certain cost certainty that the owners want to save this season and even though I love hockey to me it is a joke to put up a 30 game regular season.
    The last I read if they would need to start by about Feb. 14 with 9 or 10 day training camp.
    Hey faba! Yeah, it's been awhile. It's hard to talk about hockey right now. I feel so cheated.

9 - 10 days of training camp? That's not nearly enough time to get in shape for the season. If that were to happen, there's gonna be lots of injuries.

Hockey is done.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl+Jan 27 2005, 10:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gang Green Girl @ Jan 27 2005, 10:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-faba@Jan 27 2005, 08:43 AM
    GGG
    Nice to hear from you back in hockey forum even though there is no hockey&#33;
    Hey faba&#33; Yeah, it&#39;s been awhile. It&#39;s hard to talk about hockey right now. I feel so cheated.

9 - 10 days of training camp? That&#39;s not nearly enough time to get in shape for the season. If that were to happen, there&#39;s gonna be lots of injuries.

Hockey is done. [/b][/quote]
    GGG
    Besides the risk of injuries teams do not even have all their players signed so there would have to be a mad rush by GM&#39;s to get all the players contracts for the start of the so called season.
    The only professional hockey I think we will see in the near future will be on ESPN Classics&#33; I have been watching some of the classic Devil-Rangers playoff games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The only professional hockey I think we will see in the near future will be on ESPN Classics&#33; I have been watching some of the classic Devil-Rangers playoff games.
    There were many classics among those epic battles in the 1990&#39;s. Game 6 in 1994 stands out, but there were at least 4-5 others right up there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a possibility the WHA will form a spring tourney to launch their 2005-2006 season next fall.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talks ended last night, with ted Saskin, the #2 honcho in the union declaring that philosophical differences remain between the 2 sides.

I translate that to mean Chelios is dead wrong. There is no way the NHL resumes this season, and next year is in danger also.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They broke off talks again with no schedule to resume them. This unfortunately is not surprising to me as I did not think anything would happen to settle the strike.
    The owners want cost certainty that the players will not accept. As long as they have polar opposite stances without compromise on both sides there will be no hockey.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;m not interested in a 30-game season with games played within the conference. Tuesday has to be the deadline--otherwise, they&#39;re not startin&#39; on February 14th.

I miss watching the Isles practice on weekends&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; <_<

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The lockout reached its 134th day Thursday and has forced the cancellation of 721 of the 1,230 regular-season games plus the All-Star game. If an agreement isn&#39;t reached soon, the NHL will likely become the first North American sports league to lose an entire season to a labor dispute.

The current owners and the players will go down in history -at least they will have accomplished something&#33;
    GGG If you see this Where did the Isles practice in Nassau Coliseum I am assuming- did they charge for that or was that free

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by faba@Jan 28 2005, 11:24 AM
    GGG If you see this Where did the Isles practice in Nassau Coliseum I am assuming- did they charge for that or was that free
    The Isles practice at IceWorks in Syosset, Long Island on Underhill Boulevard. It&#39;s 1/2 mile from my parents house. I used to walk there on weekends. It&#39;s really fun and not many people go and watch them. It&#39;s an indoor rink, but freeeeeeeezing cold.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl+Jan 28 2005, 03:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gang Green Girl @ Jan 28 2005, 03:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-faba@Jan 28 2005, 11:24 AM
    The Isles practice at IceWorks in Syosset, Long Island on Underhill Boulevard. It&#39;s 1/2 mile from my parents house. I used to walk there on weekends. It&#39;s really fun and not many people go and watch them. It&#39;s an indoor rink, but freeeeeeeezing cold. [/b][/quote]
    GGG
    Thanks for the info. I have never been to one of the open practices the Rangers have had-I am sure you would get a different perspective of the game and players.
    Too bad for you no Jeremy lookalikes on the Islanders&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by faba@Jan 28 2005, 03:43 PM
    GGG
    Thanks for the info. I have never been to one of the open practices the Rangers have had-I am sure you would get a different perspective of the game and players.
    Too bad for you no Jeremy lookalikes on the Islanders&#33;
    faba: The Rangers practice???? You&#39;d never know it.

I&#39;d take Trent Hunter or Michael Peca over Jeremy Roenick any day of the week.