Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: What's Taking So Long???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the fricken negotiations are bogged down more by the fact they are attempting an 11th hour deal to "save the season" then the issues at hand.

The season is already DOA. Make it official and publically set up a series of concrete meeting dates, at least once a week, and get this crap settled before next year.

The league is bleeding out of its anus.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Sh**,

One of the TV stations up here did a "what if" scenario as to how many days it would take to start playing if the green light was given.
    3 weeks bare minimum.
    Probably more.
    So we're talking late Feb at best, with what, playoffs starting 5 weeks later?
    Forget it. File that under 'how to lose the small amount of credibility you may still have'

Plus there's many players in Europe who might not abandon their teams late in the season to return to this BS.

Doug S.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    30 game seasons are pure fiction. I would not even bother listening to a game, let alone watch one. I even read a senario where there will be a 28 game season, basically playing a home & home with everyone within your conference.

Disgraceful. Declare this season dead, and move on to salvaging next season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007@Jan 31 2005, 03:48 PM
    30 game seasons are pure fiction. I would not even bother listening to a game, let alone watch one. I even read a senario where there will be a 28 game season, basically playing a home & home with everyone within your conference.

Fat Francesa was talking about a Stanley Cup "tourney" where the entire season was essentially a tournament among all of the teams. Not sure if this was actually mentioned by anyone in power, but it sounds absurd.

Francesa was saying it's not such a bad idea because the Cup originally was awarded to a tournament winner and was not associated with an actual "season." I never heard this, but I am not a hockey buff. Is this true?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The players are looking at best of getting maybe 1/5 of their salary, if there was to be a seasons tarting ny the end of February. . So there's no leverage against them, and many are with IHL or Euro teams making money.It's financially as bad as it can get.

Meanwhile, the owners have teams that are doing nothing for them except costing them some fixed costs and holding season titcket deposits for as long as they can. The only reason they haven't called it is to hang onto that cash for dear life.

The change is that the pressure is now all on the owners. Congratulations, gentlemen-Cost Certainty Bettman has led you off the cliff. They should have jumped on that 25% salary cut with both hands and feet. WHAT FRIGGIN' DOPES! From the same people who brought you the Predators, Coyotes, Thrashers, Blue Jackets, Hurricanes and Panthers. Hope you saved those fools' gold expansion fees, guys.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    By Kara Yorio - SportingNews
    ESPN is having twice the fun without NHL games to broadcast.

NHL games brought the network a pitiful 0.2 average rating. This season's fill-in programming -- mostly college basketball -- is double that average, 0.4. An ESPN spokesman says that this year, unlike last year, hockey games wouldn't have been subject to regional blackouts, so ratings were expected to go up.

Hockey diehards are the only ones that care- the ratings are so low that anything can beat it that ESPN and ESPN2 put up in its place. NHL has no clout to dictate to any media outlet for coverage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mreis171+Jan 31 2005, 04:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mreis171 @ Jan 31 2005, 04:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mbn007@Jan 31 2005, 03:48 PM

Fat Francesa was talking about a Stanley Cup "tourney" where the entire season was essentially a tournament among all of the teams. Not sure if this was actually mentioned by anyone in power, but it sounds absurd.

Francesa was saying it&#39;s not such a bad idea because the Cup originally was awarded to a tournament winner and was not associated with an actual "season." I never heard this, but I am not a hockey buff. Is this true? [/b][/quote]
    Before the NHL, the Stanley Cup used to be a "challenge" cup. This was like back in the late 1800s-early 1900s in Canada. From something I read, they had tourneys and then the team that won the cup could be "challenged" by another team and then play for it. If the other team won, then they would take it and be challenged by other teams. I wish I could find the link of the article I read about it. Anyways, in the article, these Canadiens were arguing that teh cup should be removed from the NHL and return to being a Challenger Cup for Canadien teams.