Thread: Hostage Photo is a "Doll Hoax"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4229347.stm]BBC Link[/url]

[quote][b]US hostage photo 'is doll hoax'

A toy company says the figure pictured resembles its action doll

Enlarge Image

A photograph of what Islamic militants claim is a captive US soldier may have been posed with a toy figure, an army doll manufacturer has said.
    Dragon Models USA said the figure in the picture, posted on a website used by Islamic groups, resembles "Cody", an action toy based on US special forces.

The Pentagon said no US troops have been reported missing in Iraq.

The photograph purports to show a soldier called John Adams in desert uniform with a gun pointed at his head.

In a statement accompanying the picture, an Islamic group calling itself the Mujahideen Brigades claimed on Tuesday to have taken a US soldier hostage in Iraq.

It threatens to kill him unless Iraqis held in US-run prisons are freed within 72 hours.

'Striking resemblance'

But Dragon Models USA has pointed out the figure pictured has similar facial features, uniform and equipment to its product.

"For us it bears a striking resemblance," spokesman Liam Cusack told the AFP news agency.

"We want the proper authorities to check it out. Even the boots are the same shade as the action figure we made."

The company produced 4,000 of the Cody action figures in 2003, for sale at US military bases in Kuwait and the Middle East.

Video hoax

Staff Sgt Nick Minecci, a US military spokesman in Baghdad, told the Associated press news agency that no units had reported anyone missing.

A Pentagon spokesman said investigations were continuing into the website's claim.

The Mujahideen Brigades has previously claimed responsibility for the abduction in April of three Japanese hostages, who were later released, and a Brazilian engineer missing since January.

In August, a US man from San Francisco staged a hoax video that appeared to show him being beheaded in Iraq.

It was initially reported to have been released by militants, but Benjamin Vanderford then admitted he had made it, arguing it was designed to show how easily such videos can be faked.

[/b][/quote]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    That is just plain bizarre- at least it's not a real US soldier.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BergenJet[/i]@Feb 2 2005, 11:11 PM
    [b]

In a statement accompanying the picture, an Islamic group calling itself the Mujahideen Brigades claimed on Tuesday to have taken a US soldier hostage in Iraq.

It threatens to kill him unless Iraqis held in US-run prisons are freed within 72 hours.

[/QUOTE] [/b][/quote]
    If it is a hoax. That's pretty pathetic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Follow the link and compare the pics. It sure as hell looks like the doll wearing some equipment. Lets hope it is a hoax and that is a doll.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd yes, but didn't we hear about this yesterday? Nice to see these dopes are grasping at straws before the Prez address.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/middle_east_enl_1107349640/img/1.jpg[/img]

I didn't see it posted anywhere Jumba. I heard about it earlier today but didn't see the pictures.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure it was in the Post/News today. Might've seen it on-line, but I don't do a whole lot of surfing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@Feb 2 2005, 11:18 PM
    [b] Pretty sure it was in the Post/News today. Might've seen it on-line, but I don't do a whole lot of surfing. [/b][/quote]
    I didn't get a chance to scan the local papers today. I did hear about this early today though, so it probably was in a local paper. Didn't see it posted anywhere though. I am just amazed that this would even be attempted...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42672]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...showtopic=42672[/url]

it was in the political forum Jumba

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just search this board, which is why I didn't see it. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money[/i]@Feb 2 2005, 11:24 PM
    [b] [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42672]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...showtopic=42672[/url]

it was in the political forum Jumba [/b][/quote]
    Rarely visit the political forums myself. Might have to head over for this one, though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BergenJet[/i]@Feb 2 2005, 11:25 PM
    [b] I just search this board, which is why I didn't see it. ;) [/b][/quote]
    No prob Bergen, I just thought that might have benn where JJ thought he saw it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When will this horror end?.....................

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, you can always count on Savage to close things out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by copernicus[/i]@Feb 2 2005, 11:27 PM
    [b] When will this horror end?..................... [/b][/quote]
    I'm not sure when it will end--I can only hope they don't have any M-80's. Poor plastic bastard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by BergenJet[/i]@Feb 2 2005, 11:17 PM
    [b] [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/middle_east_enl_1107349640/img/1.jpg[/img]

I didn't see it posted anywhere Jumba. I heard about it earlier today but didn't see the pictures. [/b][/quote]
    Man, that is so clearly fake. Even if you didn't have the picture of the action figure to compare it with, you can [b]clearly[/b] see that the 'kidnapped' soldier is just a doll. Even the gun pointing at him looks so fake - you can see it is an accessory from an action figure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    In other News, on her USO Tour Malibu Barbie was kidnapped near
    Baghdad and was last seen with a insurgents underwear on her
    head..Ken is said to be beside himself with Grief and has asked
    the Ninja Turtle's to attempt a rescue..So Far only Gumby amd Pokey
    have Volunteered their help!! :ph34r:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally a hoax. The head looks a bit out of proportion to the body if you look close.
    pathetic propaganda.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone is out to make the USA look bad. I agree with the President. We can't announce a departure date. The militants will just lie in wait for that date, and then attempt a coup.