Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HE HATE ME

[b][SIZE=2]Dean for DNC Charmain? ... Yeeaarrgghh!![/SIZE]

By Jeff Jacoby[/b]

The Democratic National Committee won't officially elect its next chairman until Feb. 12, so Howard Dean doesn't have the job wrapped up just yet. But the Association of State Democratic Chairs endorsed him this week, and two of the five other candidates for the position have since dropped out.

Clearly, the Democratic chairmanship is now Dean's to lose. And that should have reasonable Democrats worried, because their party's ills aren't going to get better with the medicine Dr. Dean is prescribing.

As governor of Vermont, Dean was regarded as a budget-balancing, gun-owner-friendly centrist. As a candidate for president, he turned himself into an Angry, left-wing firebrand. Perhaps as party chairman he'll turn himself back into something thoughtful and moderate, in which case the Democratic Party may regain some of the ground it has lost to Republicans over the past decade. But on the evidence so far, Dean has no intention of turning down the heat.

Speaking to a DNC forum in New York over the weekend, Dean indulged once again in some of the undisguised loathing of the GOP that was such a hallmark of Democratic Party activism last year.

[color=blue]"I hate the Republicans and everything they stand for," he told the audience, "but I admire their discipline and their organization."[/color]

[i]I hate the Republicans and everything they stand for.[/i]

Not "I oppose the Republicans and everything they stand for."

Not "I'm determined to beat the Republicans."

Not "I reject the Republican message."

[color=blue]Nope -- Dean wants it understood that he hates the Republicans and all their works. That is the banner under which he is marching as a candidate to lead his party.[/color]

Intense political passions are nothing new in American politics, and they are not limited to one side of the aisle. Plenty of Republicans despise Democrats. Some conservative authors and radio hosts sully themselves by resorting to insults and invective when talking about liberals. But the willingness of so many Democrats to openly call themselves "haters," to make contempt for the other party their stock-in-trade -- that is something we haven't seen before. No doubt there is a kind of crude pleasure in hating so uninhibitedly, but it's no way to rebuild a Democratic majority.

A few days before Dean hoisted the hate flag in Manhattan, five Democratic campaign staffers in Milwaukee were charged with slashing the tires on 25 vehicles rented by the local Republican Party. Among the five Democrats were Michael Pratt, the 32-year-old son of a former Milwaukee mayor, and 25-year-old Sowande Omokunde, whose mother is a member of Congress. A spokesman for the Wisconsin Democratic Party rightly condemned the vandalism, and of course the party shouldn't be blamed for the violent destructiveness of a few. Still, at a time when the Democrats' leading candidate for chairman openly proclaims his hatred of Republicans, should it come as a surprise that low-level party activists are accused of destroying GOP property?

It wasn't only Milwaukee that saw anti-Republican violence last year. Consider some other headlines from the season gone by:

[b]Chicago: "Vandals repeatedly target 43rd Ward GOP headquarters"

Raleigh, N.C.: "Mob of vandals attacks GOP office"

Spokane, Wash.: "Bush's campaign office in Spokane burglarized, vandalized"

Orlando, Fla.: "Protestors ransack Bush/Cheney headquarters in Orlando"

Knoxville, Tenn.: "Shots fired into Knox Bush/Cheney headquarters"[/b]

I repeat: No party has a monopoly on hotheads or goons. Republicans, too, have been known to engage in vandalism and dirty tricks. I don't doubt for a moment that the great majority of Democrats, like the great majority of Republicans, love their country and want to see it led by enlightened men and women.

All the same, there is a streak of (mostly rhetorical) thuggishness to the Democratic Party's activist core these days -- a tone of bitterness and rage that party leaders should be trying to soften.

Instead, they indulge it.

Rather than keep the virulent Michael Moore out of the limelight during their convention last summer, they prominently seated him next to Jimmy Carter. Rather than condemn Eminem's coarse anti-Bush anthem, "Mosh" (sample lyric: "Stomp, push, shove, mush, [expletive] Bush"), John Kerry praised it: "I heard the song," he told MTV. "I liked it." Rather than steer clear of the the Democrat who proudly proclaims, "I hate Republicans and everything they stand for," the Democratic National Committee is poised to make him chairman.

There is a reason Dean didn't win a single Democratic presidential primary apart from Vermont's, and it isn't that he wasn't incendiary enough. The last thing his party needs now is what Democrats rejected last year: a short-fused ranter who thrills the die-hards, but sends moderates racing for the exit.

=============

BINGO!!

This is what I was trying to tell you guys just the other day

The activist democrats are gonna love this stuff .. it's red meat .. but they have no idea how harmful this is to their party

To them Dean is simply being honest ... honestly expressing their own feelings about Republicans ... but what all ideologues {left and right} must always understand {and never forget} is that the overwhelming majority of Americans are not, and never will be, committed ideologues {which is not the same as being republican or democrat, or even conservative or liberal}

Most Americans are uncomfortable, at the very least, when a political party starts tossing around words like "hate" to describe their feelings about their political counterparts

And this is not the same as the rank & file using this type of language ... this is the man who will soon be the voice and the face of the democrat party ... huge difference ... but I digress

Again, we are not talking about the ideologues who may be comfortable with this type of rhetoric ... they are always the minority in every major political party ... you may think that's not the case and you may wish that weren't the case, but it's the fool who confuses wishful thinking with reality

I have lived long enough and I have discussed enough politics with the average Joe to know that nothing could be further from the truth ... most folks would sooner drink cyinide than spend an evening discussing politics with a committed ideolouge of either stripe ... and this piece of advice some of you younger ideologues may wish to take note of when going out on dates {that type of conversation will kill a romantic spark faster than raid kills a cockroach} :D

But that aside, there is also human nature at play here as well ... there's an old saying and old sayings are usually old sayings cause they carry an element of truth, otherwise they whither and die on the vine

[i]You can catch more bees with honey[/i]

Most folks by definition are NOT of the ideological bent ... and here we are talking about the overwhelming majority ... and while this may shock some of my liberal friends to learn, these folks tend to [b]CRINGE[/b] at words like "hate" being tossed around to describe ones feelings about our fellow Americans {even those with whom they disagree}

But hey, if you guys feel this is the road to building a majority, all I can say is have at it ... and thank you for your generosity

As the old saying goes {yep, another old saying} ...

[i]When your adversary is in the process of destroying himself, GET OUT OF HIS WAY[/i]

So that would be my advice to Republicans ... with the dems about to make Howard "HE HATE ME" Dean the voice of the democrat party {i.e. on the verge of committing political suicide}, say a toast to the demise of the democrats and get out of their way as they pull the trigger

as a candidate you are right he's too hot headed

as a DNC chairman i think his rage is refreshing

for far too long the DNC has sat there with a dumb look on it's face while the GOP bends it over -

if it takes putting a hothead into power to change that, im all for it.

it's better than the alternative - which is another decade of mealy mouthed pansy-ass politicking.

what i can't understand is the GOP run their party cutthroat as possible - they are consistantly attacking their enemies - the DNC show signs of that and all the GOP say it's political suicide?

may be but if they are gonna go down they might as well go down swinging - moving to the right and kissing up to evangelicals is not going to win the DNC anything.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Go Howie-Go Howie!

Being Chairman of a party is a hell of a lot more then going out there giving fiery speeches- just like being GM of a football team is a lot more then making the calls on draft day...this is just one of the many reason I hope howie gets the call, he will totally run liberalism (hook-line-sinker) into the ground!

[quote][b]what i can't understand is the GOP run their party cutthroat as possible - they are consistantly attacking their enemies - the DNC show signs of that and all the GOP say it's political suicide? [/b][/quote]

That's got to be the funniest head-in-the-sand statement of the century. Possibly true about 20 years ago but the GOP was smart enough to learn from their mistakes.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 10:08 AM
    [b] That's got to be the funniest head-in-the-sand statement of the century. Possibly true about 20 years ago but the GOP was smart enough to learn from their mistakes. [/b][/quote]
    Kerry was character assassinated BIG TIME this year - you don't think the GOP leadership had anything to do with it?

Karl Rove is the same guy that character assassinated McCain for his time in the Hanoi Hilton - forget about 20 years ago, the GOP eats, sleeps and craps pure character assassination -

oh yeah but that&#39;s all changed they are really nice now <_< laughable

Hall Of Fame
    Bitonti -

How was Kerry&#39;s character assassinated?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Feb 4 2005, 10:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti &#064; Feb 4 2005, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 10:08 AM
    [b] That&#39;s got to be the funniest head-in-the-sand statement of the century. Possibly true about 20 years ago but the GOP was smart enough to learn from their mistakes. [/b][/quote]
    Kerry was character assassinated BIG TIME this year - you don&#39;t think the GOP leadership had anything to do with it?

Karl Rove is the same guy that character assassinated McCain for his time in the Hanoi Hilton - forget about 20 years ago, the GOP eats, sleeps and craps pure character assassination -

oh yeah but that&#39;s all changed they are really nice now <_< laughable [/b][/quote]
    going after your opponent and running a "party as cuthroat as possible" are two totally different things.

McCain is still a big part of the party...how about Lieberman?? Zel Miller??

ok so who would you want running the DNC

what&#39;s that? you don&#39;t actually care? :lol:

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 12:24 PM
    [b] ok so who would you want running the DNC

what&#39;s that? you don&#39;t actually care? :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Why has Nader fallen out with the DNC?

He&#39;s definitely sure of his opinions, and frankly has made some compelling arguments at times.

Hey Come Back.....

Speaking of GM&#39;s, are you taking part in the big 7 Round Mock GJ&H and Smizz are running. I didn&#39;t notice your name (and don;t feel like looking up the thread now), but I was hoping you&#39;d be there.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 10:44 AM
    [b] Bitonti -

How was Kerry&#39;s character assassinated? [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t think Kerry had any character to begin with so the GOP didn&#39;t really have to do that much. :rolleyes:

Some of these Dems like Dean, Boxer, etc. should save their hate for muzlim extremists, not Americans holding public office.

But, it&#39;s a lib thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 01:20 PM
    [b] Hey Come Back.....

Speaking of GM&#39;s, are you taking part in the big 7 Round Mock GJ&H and Smizz are running. I didn&#39;t notice your name (and don;t feel like looking up the thread now), but I was hoping you&#39;d be there. [/b][/quote]
    I must of missed it as all 32 teams are taken...if you need a partner for the skins let me know...when is it anyway?

Thanks

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Feb 4 2005, 03:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY &#064; Feb 4 2005, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 01:20 PM
    [b] Hey Come Back.....

Speaking of GM&#39;s, are you taking part in the big 7 Round Mock GJ&H and Smizz are running. I didn&#39;t notice your name (and don;t feel like looking up the thread now), but I was hoping you&#39;d be there. [/b][/quote]
    I must of missed it as all 32 teams are taken...if you need a partner for the skins let me know...when is it anyway?

Thanks [/b][/quote]
    CB, the thread was posted for like three days ... that&#39;s how long it took to fill the roster with GM&#39;s ... snap out of it dude, you gotta start paying attention :huh:

But I&#39;ll keep you in mind as the first alternate ... anyone opts out {or gets kicked out for missing a pick} and I&#39;ll give you that team ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 4 2005, 04:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham &#064; Feb 4 2005, 04:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Feb 4 2005, 03:47 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 01:20 PM
    [b] Hey Come Back.....

Thanks [/b][/quote]
    CB, the thread was posted for like three days ... that&#39;s how long it took to fill the roster with GM&#39;s ... snap out of it dude, you gotta start paying attention :huh:

But I&#39;ll keep you in mind as the first alternate ... anyone opts out {or gets kicked out for missing a pick} and I&#39;ll give you that team ;) [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ve got to keep a little more low key plus I&#39;m crazy busy so...what&#39;s the date anyway??

Need a mailing address GH so PM me with it.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 04:36 PM
    [b] I&#39;ve got to keep a little more low key plus I&#39;m crazy busy so...what&#39;s the date anyway??

Need a mailing address GH so PM me with it. [/b][/quote]
    CB, not sure about the date yet ... we&#39;re sort of leaning towards waiting till after the combines

What&#39;s the date of the combines?

We&#39;ll probably start the following week, so we have a full week to digest that info

And if anyone opts out I&#39;ll PM you immediately to give you all the details ... you are the first alternate

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 4 2005, 05:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 4 2005, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 04:36 PM
    [b] I&#39;ve got to keep a little more low key plus I&#39;m crazy busy so...what&#39;s the date anyway??

CB, not sure about the date yet ... we&#39;re sort of leaning towards waiting till after the combines

We&#39;ll probably start the following week, so we have a full week to digest that info

And if anyone opts out I&#39;ll PM you immediately to give you all the details ... you are the first alternate [/b][/quote]
    Combine is 2/23-3/1

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Feb 4 2005, 07:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Feb 4 2005, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Feb 4 2005, 05:42 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 04:36 PM

And if anyone opts out I&#39;ll PM you immediately to give you all the details ... you are the first alternate [/b][/quote]
    Combine is 2/23-3/1 [/b][/quote]
    Thanks CB ... March 1 is a tuesday so I&#39;m thinking we&#39;ll kickoff on monday March 7

Again, you are the first alternate ... I only wish you would have seen the damn thread in advance :(

:lol: don&#39;t worry someone will drop out - it happens every time

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 4 2005, 07:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 4 2005, 07:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Feb 4 2005, 07:12 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Feb 4 2005, 05:42 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 4 2005, 04:36 PM

Combine is 2/23-3/1 [/b][/quote]
    Thanks CB ... March 1 is a tuesday so I&#39;m thinking we&#39;ll kickoff on monday March 7

Again, you are the first alternate ... I only wish you would have seen the damn thread in advance :( [/b][/quote]
    don&#39;t worry...every minute of my day is spoken for the next couple of months- you should consider pushing the date back only cause I would expect a few of the bigger names (Mike Williams) not to work out until pro-days. Antrell Rolle is unlikely to run at the combine, though Miami specifically sets their pro-day immediately after the combine (I believe it is 3/2).

"Antrell Rolle is unlikely to run at the combine, though Miami specifically sets their pro-day immediately after the combine (I believe it is 3/2). "

That&#39;s my understanding as well.