Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Patriotic Display at the Super Bowl

I, for one, loved it. Actually brought a tear to my eye, no lie.

Nice work NFL, for recognizing what is truly important.

Oh, and the comercial in the airport, with all the passengers applauding the arriving soldiers.......also, great, just great.

:D

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with you 100% Warfish. I was truly impressed with the NFL's pregame ceremonies and its tribute to not only the current men and women in uniform, but those of the past. Loved seeing the Tuskeegee Airmen and the rest of those fine men and women of the past getting their moment in the sun. At the rate WWII vets are passing away, there won't be many more chances left.

I teared up when that commercial came on

All League
    There are several Tuskeege airmen in my neighborhood, one of them used to bang the previous owner of my house.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Feb 7 2005, 01:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Feb 7 2005, 01:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 10:54 AM
    [b] There are several Tuskeege airmen in my neighborhood, one of them used to bang the previous owner of my house. [/b][/quote]
    was the the 14 year old you tossed the beer to before being tossed in the slammer yourself?? [/b][/quote]
    Yes I was arrested for drinking I shared the story with Guns over IM. I will write up the experience if you would like.

Basically my neighbor handed me a beer on my front lawn, after a few sips undercover cops pulled up, hand cuffed me and threw me in jail for 6 hours.

I was charged with POCA Public Open Container of Alcohol.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Feb 7 2005, 01:15 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 10:54 AM
    [b] There are several Tuskeege airmen in my neighborhood, one of them used to bang the previous owner of my house. [/b][/quote]
    was the the 14 year old you tossed the beer to before being tossed in the slammer yourself?? [/b][/quote]
    Yes I was arrested for drinking I shared the story with Guns over IM. I will write up the experience if you would like.

Basically my neighbor handed me a beer on my front lawn, after a few sips undercover cops pulled up, hand cuffed me and threw me in jail for 6 hours.

I was charged with POCA Public Open Container of Alcohol. [/b][/quote]
    President Bush probably tapped your phone, realized you had leftist tendencies and is having you trailed.....be careful who you IM or phone from here on out.

i think we should applaud soldiers at airports - whether leaving or coming back - wouldn&#39;t it be great if this commercial started a trend?

i may not agree with the Commander in Chief or the direction the war is taking but there can be no two ways about it, our troops always do us proud and deserve alot more praise then they get.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Feb 7 2005, 10:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Feb 7 2005, 10:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 11:29 PM
    [b] I agree with you 100% Warfish. I was truly impressed with the NFL&#39;s pregame ceremonies and its tribute to not only the current men and women in uniform, but those of the past. Loved seeing the Tuskeegee Airmen and the rest of those fine men and women of the past getting their moment in the sun. At the rate WWII vets are passing away, there won&#39;t be many more chances left.

I teared up when that commercial came on [/b][/quote]
    That Bud commercial..when the servicemen/women were applauded as they walked through the airport, was outstanding. [/b][/quote]
    I had been drinking Heineken up until that commercial, then I immediately ordered a Bud.

It was an outstanding commercial.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Feb 7 2005, 01:15 PM

I rememeber that story 109. That was a complete BS arrest.

No matter what line of work we find outselves in, there&#39;s always that one guy or group of guys who make the rest of us look bad.

The U/C cops need to look up the word "Discretion" in the dictionary and go back to their jobs.

I wish I worked in a city whose most important thing was making sure people didn&#39;t drink on their lawns. :blink:

109 what city was that again?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 12:29 PM
    [b] i think we should applaud soldiers at airports - whether leaving or coming back - wouldn&#39;t it be great if this commercial started a trend?

i may not agree with the Commander in Chief or the direction the war is taking but there can be no two ways about it, our troops always do us proud and deserve alot more praise then they get. [/b][/quote]
    actually you are behind the times in that it has already happened around America (which is where the idea for the commercial came from).

There were several reports, one I specifically remember from the Denver Airport, where general passengers went crazy with applause as soldiers departed their flight....I never saw that but I have been on flights where the stewardess made it a point to tell everyone that soldiers were indeed on our plane and wanted to let them know they were appreciated and the plane broke out in applause and cheers.

I remember the commercial they (AB) ran during the &#39;02 SB....they driver got the clidesdals (spell?) ready to go...they trotted through town then came to an empty field...all of a sudden the NYC skyline was in the background and all at once the horses seemed to bow in hommage to the victims of 9-11...I found it incredibly emotional and couldn&#39;t believe the media panned it the following day.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Feb 7 2005, 03:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Feb 7 2005, 03:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Feb 7 2005, 01:15 PM

No matter what line of work we find outselves in, there&#39;s always that one guy or group of guys who make the rest of us look bad.

The U/C cops need to look up the word "Discretion" in the dictionary and go back to their jobs.

I wish I worked in a city whose most important thing was making sure people didn&#39;t drink on their lawns. :blink:

109 what city was that again? [/b][/quote]
    I live in DC and believe me there are more important things than that. The funnies part was the neighbor who gave me the beer is a 70+yr old women and she was arrested as well.

Sadly, the incident has made me leary of police. I&#39;m working on that and have a good relationship with the new commander in my district.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Feb 7 2005, 01:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Feb 7 2005, 01:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM

[/b][/quote]
    You get a bad cop on a bad day and bad things will happen..it does not speak for the whole.

In &#39;96 I was in Atlanta for the Olympics...I had four extra tix for the final day of track and field and was trying to sell them. A transit cop came up and said I was not allowed to sell ticket on MATRA property (Atlanta&#39;s mass transit system)...I asked where was I allowed to sell the ticks and was told "outside the train station"...fine- I went out by the curb and stood there holding four tickets aloft. Two guys decided to do otherwise and remained in the stations confines selling the tickets...the head cop arrested them and me for "scalping"...when I tried to explain I was not on Matra property as had been instructed I was told- "you should&#39;ve been across the street"....it was a nightmare to the point where the DA apologized for what I had been through (they took all my possesions- cash, tickets for final days events, walet- and never gave me any receipt).

I had to go through the system, cuffed, in a cramped cop car with two smelly perpetraitors, into the clinker and in front of the judge...oh yeah- they got mad at me after instructing me to remove my shoes (which was impossible since I was cuffed and wearing hi-tops).

In the end I paid a &#036;100 fine and was let go...so should I despise all cops (which my father was one in NYC for 23-years) because of this one bozo??

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Feb 7 2005, 03:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Feb 7 2005, 03:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 7 2005, 01:04 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM

[/b][/quote]
    You get a bad cop on a bad day and bad things will happen..it does not speak for the whole.

In &#39;96 I was in Atlanta for the Olympics...I had four extra tix for the final day of track and field and was trying to sell them. A transit cop came up and said I was not allowed to sell ticket on MATRA property (Atlanta&#39;s mass transit system)...I asked where was I allowed to sell the ticks and was told "outside the train station"...fine- I went out by the curb and stood there holding four tickets aloft. Two guys decided to do otherwise and remained in the stations confines selling the tickets...the head cop arrested them and me for "scalping"...when I tried to explain I was not on Matra property as had been instructed I was told- "you should&#39;ve been across the street"....it was a nightmare to the point where the DA apologized for what I had been through (they took all my possesions- cash, tickets for final days events, walet- and never gave me any receipt).

I had to go through the system, cuffed, in a cramped cop car with two smelly perpetraitors, into the clinker and in front of the judge...oh yeah- they got mad at me after instructing me to remove my shoes (which was impossible since I was cuffed and wearing hi-tops).

In the end I paid a &#036;100 fine and was let go...so should I despise all cops (which my father was one in NYC for 23-years) because of this one bozo?? [/b][/quote]
    In my case it wasn&#39;t one cop it was about 10 cops. I did recieve an apology and was told recently that the law was changed because of my letter to the chief of police.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Feb 7 2005, 03:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Feb 7 2005, 03:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Feb 7 2005, 01:32 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Feb 7 2005, 03:27 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 7 2005, 01:04 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Feb 7 2005, 11:24 AM

[/b][/quote]

In the end I paid a &#036;100 fine and was let go...so should I despise all cops (which my father was one in NYC for 23-years) because of this one bozo?? [/b][/quote]
    In my case it wasn&#39;t one cop it was about 10 cops. I did recieve an apology and was told recently that the law was changed because of my letter to the chief of police. [/b][/quote]
    dude...after they cuffed me and brough into the back room at the station I had seven cops gang up on me for no other reason then I thought I was following directions. [/b][/quote]
    So I guess you could say we are kindred spirits? ;)

Seriously, the whole incident made me feel like I was some kind of child-molester or something.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Feb 7 2005, 10:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Feb 7 2005, 10:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 11:29 PM
    [b] I agree with you 100% Warfish. I was truly impressed with the NFL&#39;s pregame ceremonies and its tribute to not only the current men and women in uniform, but those of the past. Loved seeing the Tuskeegee Airmen and the rest of those fine men and women of the past getting their moment in the sun. At the rate WWII vets are passing away, there won&#39;t be many more chances left.

I teared up when that commercial came on [/b][/quote]
    That Bud commercial..when the servicemen/women were applauded as they walked through the airport, was outstanding. [/b][/quote]
    I think everyone...Dems, Reps, Libs, Conservatives....can agree that that was an INSTANT CLASSIC and one of the best damn commercials ever.

TMahoney
    Did anyone think it was over the top?

It was a whole 45 minutes on how America is great, even though this is being broadcasted all over the world. I thought it was arrogant. Furthermore, the part where the NFL greats were reading the declaration of independence had nothing to do with football.

I had no problem supporting the troops and I thought that part was necessary and well done. But the overall "We&#39;re America and we&#39;re the best" type promotion that was going on was quite ridiculous.

Its a football game, and spending 45 minutes before kickoff in gloating over ourselves is a tacky.

For the record, if it was a third of the time, it wouldn&#39;t have been a problem, but seriously, 3 quarters of an hour gorging ourselves is arrogant. It tried to equate football with patroitism.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Enjoy:

[url=http://www.herosalute.com/states/big_game_ad.html]http://www.herosalute.com/states/big_game_ad.html[/url]

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by CarlSpackler[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 07:10 PM
    [b] Did anyone think it was over the top?

It was a whole 45 minutes on how America is great, even though this is being broadcasted all over the world. I thought it was arrogant. Furthermore, the part where the NFL greats were reading the declaration of independence had nothing to do with football.

I had no problem supporting the troops and I thought that part was necessary and well done. But the overall "We&#39;re America and we&#39;re the best" type promotion that was going on was quite ridiculous.

Its a football game, and spending 45 minutes before kickoff in gloating over ourselves is a tacky.

For the record, if it was a third of the time, it wouldn&#39;t have been a problem, but seriously, 3 quarters of an hour gorging ourselves is arrogant. It tried to equate football with patroitism. [/b][/quote]
    Football is purely AMERICAN, so yeah, I think that spending a few minutes gloating about our nation was just fine.

[quote][i]Originally posted by CarlSpackler[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 07:10 PM
    [b] It tried to equate football with patriotism. [/b][/quote]
    hmm... and then the Patriots won&#33; CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT&#33;&#33; :lol:

All League
    The comercial was done so well that it seemed so real. The looks on the soldiers looked so genuine you could feel their pain. To me I could see the horrors they had just returned from and in the back of their minds knew they would have to face again soon. I immediatly placed myself in their shoes and identified with them, I imagined if I were a soldier comming back from a BS war where I lost some dear friends. And for what? Notice how it took the soldiers a good 5 seconds to digest the clapping? They were proberly thinking "if they only knew."

The only thing fake about the comercial was the uniforms, there were no markings on them at all except the camoflauge, kind of distracted me. (You know like watching one of those football commercials with one real athlete and the rest are just actors wearing blank uniforms.)

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 12:29 PM
    [b] i think we should applaud soldiers at airports - whether leaving or coming back - wouldn&#39;t it be great if this commercial started a trend?

[/b][/quote]
    The people of Bangor, Maine have been doing it for years.... ( Since the first Desert Storm)

They have people who welcome the troops at all hours of the day and night and supply them with calling cards to call their families for free.

Ya gotta love them Chowds...