Thread: Central Park "Gates"

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Am I just a bore who dosnen't appreciate art, or does anyone else find it ridiculous that someone spent time and $21M to put up some hideous orange curtains in a beautiful park? Must admit that I'm curious enough that I'll make a visit sometime in the next couple weeks. Thoughts?

All League
    Jumba I guess I am culturally deprived but I think this is one of the biggest wastes of time and effort for something that is not even art to me anyway.
    Gates with curtains to me is not art-

Rookie
    I live by the park and took a walk over yesterday to see what the fuss was all about. Taken individually, each gate looks really stupid, like an oversized contruction sign. However if you can find a spot on top of a hill and are able to see in all directions they really are pretty cool. I am not an art lover by any means but I guess art is anything that gets people out to see it and causes discussion. The news said there were about 750,000 people in the park yesterday, plus here and everywhere else people are talking about it, so then I guess that makes it art. If you are able to check it out, it is defintitely worth the look.

I thought it would be pretty cool. And it was for me. Part of the interest was seeing all the people in the park together. What made it nice was this feeling that we were all experience something different, ugly maybe, but different.
    People were talking to each other about it, just a nice feeling. And it was an excuse to walk through the park, which I hadn't done in a while, and neither had some of the people I talked to. Just a very communial feeling.

Plus if you don't like it, it's gone in 3 weeks. I'm amazed they put up all of their own money to do it, but it is incredible publicity for them, and no matter what you think of Bloomberg it reflects pretty well on him also.

Some people are really hating on the gates, there was an editorial in the Post that blasted them, I don't really get the point of it... I don't think I "get it", but it was different and kind of weird and I liked the community feeling of walking around with a bunvh of other people, staring at this bizarre creation.

That's just my opinion

Jets Insider VIP
    Its worse then howler monkeys flinging poo; they are, after all, just monkeys.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

The money is ridiculous, but it sounds like a photo op...maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

Jets Insider VIP
    Agree with you Jumba....ridiculous waste of money, reflects how narcistic and egocentric these people are (the couple who put it up and funded it). If they wanted to attract people to the park and do something for the people and city....they could have used the money to pay for some restoration there, fix it up, bring in new trees or plants...something else that will last and contribute to its natural beauty. Do they still have the zoo there or was that closed? And who paid for the extra police that were assigned?

Rookie
    The zoo is still there and is actually a pretty good time. As for the funding for the extra security and all other costs, I believe it was included in the $21M spent by the couple.

Hall Of Fame
    I appreciate art and to me, those were a waste of money. If you want to see a row of flags, look up at a marathon.