Thread: Internet bile backfired on Bush-haters

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[b]Internet bile backfired on Bush-haters [/b]
    February 15, 2005

BY MICHAEL BARONE

Going into the 2004 election cycle, just about everyone said the Internet was going to change politics. But no one was sure how. Now we know.

The first signs of change came from the Howard Dean campaign. His campaign manager, Joe Trippi, used the Internet, and meetup.com and moveon.org to identify and bring together Bush-haters from all over the country, and raise far more money than anyone expected.

Dean rose to the top in the polls and amassed an e-mail list of 600,000 names. When Democratic voters dropped Dean as unelectable and embraced John Kerry as the most readily available instrument to beat George W. Bush, Kerry inherited Dean's Internet constituency. No one expected the Kerry campaign to raise more money than the Bush campaign. But it did, largely because of the Internet.

The Democratic Internet constituency was and is motivated by one thing more than anything else: hatred of George W. Bush. To see that, you only have to take a look at dailykos.com, run by Democratic consultant Markos Moulitsas, which gets 400,000 page views a day -- far more than any other political weblog -- and which received funding from the Dean campaign (which Moulitsas disclosed). It seethes with hatred of Bush, constantly attacks Republicans and excoriates Democrats who don't oppose Bush root and branch.

When four American contractors were killed in Iraq in April 2004, dailykos.com wrote: ''I feel nothing over the death of the mercenaries. They are there to wage war for profit. Screw them.'' This repulsive comment produced no drop-off in page views. This was what the left blogosphere wanted. Kos was an early enthusiast for Dean's campaign for Democratic chairman and disparaged other candidates.

For 12 years, Democratic chairmen were chosen by Bill Clinton. He built a new generation of fund-raisers who relished contact with the Clintons. Now, the big money comes from the left blogosphere and Bush-hating billionaires like George Soros. Dean gives them what they want.

As Dean says, ''I hate the Republicans and everything that they stand for.'' Hate. But Bush hatred was not enough to beat Bush in 2004 -- Democratic turnout was up, but Republican turnout was up more -- and doesn't seem likely to beat Republicans in 2006 and 2008. The left blogosphere has driven the Democrats into an electoral cul-de-sac.

The Bush campaign, quietly, used the Internet to build an e-mail list of 7.5 million names and a corps of 1.4 million volunteers, who produced more new votes than the Democrats. But the right blogosphere was different from the left. There was no one dominant Web site and no one orthodoxy. Glenn Reynolds, the University of Tennessee law professor whose instapundit.com gets 200,000 page hits a day, supports Bush on Iraq but disagrees with him on abortion, stem-cell research and same- sex marriage. The focus of hatred in the right blogosphere is not Kerry or the Democrats, but what these bloggers call Mainstream Media.

The right blogosphere's greatest triumph came after CBS' Dan Rather reported that Bush had shirked duty in the National Guard and the network posted its 1972-dated documents on the Web.

Within four hours, a blogger on freerepublic.com :D pointed out that they looked as though they had were created on Microsoft Word. CBS defended the documents for 11 days, but finally confessed error and eased Rather out as anchor. Mainstream media tried to defeat Bush, but only discredited itself. The Pew Center's post-election poll showed a sharp decline in the credibility of newspapers and broadcast TV.

So what hath the blogosphere wrought? The left blogosphere has moved the Democrats off to the left, and the right blogosphere has undermined the credibility of the Republicans' adversaries in Old Media. Both help Bush and the GOP.

[url=http://www.suntimes.com/output/otherviews/cst-edt-barone15.html]http://www.suntimes.com/output/otherviews/...t-barone15.html[/url]

yeah ... so?

i don't get what the point of this article is... GOP and their supporters thing Dean is a bad idea? Who cares what they think? They don't have the interests of the DNC at heart so why should anyone listen to them?

moving closer to the right isn't the answer for the DNC. They can't beat the GOP at their own game... they aren't going to switch to pro-life and anti-gay so the only other choice is to go the other way and present a real alternative (as opposed to Kerry, who was not an alternative at all)

bottom line if the GOP and their supporters DONT like Dean as chair, that only makes me like the idea more.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 10:18 AM
    [b] yeah ... so?

i don't get what the point of this article is...
    [/b][/quote]
    doesn't surprise me...

"So what hath the blogosphere wrought? The left blogosphere has moved the Democrats off to the left, and the right blogosphere has undermined the credibility of the Republicans' adversaries in Old Media. Both help Bush and the GOP."

says it all...

[quote][b]bottom line if the GOP and their supporters DONT like Dean as chair, that only makes me like the idea more.[/b][/quote]

As usual you miss the entire point and are dead wrong...most conservatives are [b]estatic[/b] Heil Howard got the job as DNC chairman...estatic- and I've stated so in multiple posts.

Let me ask you a question- what chance does Heil Howard have of helping the dims regaining any strength in the south or bringing any of the southern states back into the mix in '06 or '08???? This is one of the many reasons why I am so happy this lunatic holds the position.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 10:28 AM
    [b] Let me ask you a question- what chance does Heil Howard have of helping the dims regaining any strength in the south or bringing any of the southern states back into the mix in '06 or '08???? This is one of the many reasons why I am so happy this lunatic holds the position. [/b][/quote]
    all the have to do is run a good charismatic governor from the south and they will have a chance... a guy like Eisley from North Carolina for example. Remember Bill Clinton came out of nowhere and the voting public fell in love with the guy.

a guy like Dean is less likely to allow Hillary to run in 08, which is a huge plus.

they only need to win 1 or 2 Southern States to take back the white house - the way you guys gloat, you'd think last election was a landslide - well it wasnt - Bush won by a measly 3% points. Bush's approval rating is like 55% - It's still very much a split nation and if you don't admit anything can happen in the next couple years you are fooling yourself.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Feb 15 2005, 10:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Feb 15 2005, 10:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 10:28 AM
    [b] Let me ask you a question- what chance does Heil Howard have of helping the dims regaining any strength in the south or bringing any of the southern states back into the mix in &#39;06 or &#39;08???? This is one of the many reasons why I am so happy this lunatic holds the position. [/b][/quote]
    all the have to do is run a good charismatic governor from the south and they will have a chance... a guy like Eisley from North Carolina for example. Remember Bill Clinton came out of nowhere and the voting public fell in love with the guy.

a guy like Dean is less likely to allow Hillary to run in 08, which is a huge plus.

they only need to win 1 or 2 Southern States to take back the white house - the way you guys gloat, you&#39;d think last election was a landslide - well it wasnt - Bush won by a measly 3% points. Bush&#39;s approval rating is like 55% - It&#39;s still very much a split nation and if you don&#39;t admit anything can happen in the next couple years you are fooling yourself. [/b][/quote]
    a lot of good Edwards did last November...

you remember how the Republicans kept running kerri&#39;s famous, "I voted for the &#036;87-billion" statement over and over??

Get ready for Heil Howard&#39;s, "I want all those guys in the south with the confederate flag on the back of their pick-up truck" line....

yeah but my point is that those voters that would hate what Dean is saying weren&#39;t actually voting democratic to begin with

for a party that has been beat senseless over the last 10 years putting a hateful wildman in charge can only be a good thing

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 11:05 AM
    [b] yeah but my point is that those voters that would hate what Dean is saying weren&#39;t actually voting democratic to begin with

for a party that has been beat senseless over the last 10 years putting a hateful wildman in charge can only be a good thing [/b][/quote]
    you keep thinking like that and we&#39;ll both be fine. ;)

BTW: Good to see them already stabbing each other in the back:

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=43586]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...=ST&f=7&t=43586[/url]

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 10:41 AM
    [b] Remember Bill Clinton came out of nowhere and the voting public fell in love with the guy.
    [/b][/quote]
    Well, yes the voting public fell in love - but he came up through a power vacuum when the most powerful Dems were on the sidelines thinking Bush, Sr. was almost a lock. That&#39;s more than being just a southern governor. And high profile Southern Dems seem to be going the way of CSA vets.

[quote][i]Originally posted by sackdance[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 03:14 PM
    [b] when the most powerful Dems were on the sidelines thinking Bush, Sr. was almost a lock. [/b][/quote]
    like who?

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Feb 15 2005, 03:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Feb 15 2005, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sackdance[/i]@Feb 15 2005, 03:14 PM
    [b] when the most powerful Dems were on the sidelines thinking Bush, Sr. was almost a lock. [/b][/quote]
    like who? [/b][/quote]
    Mario Cuomo, famously. And the others...look into it.

The democrats lost the election because they ran a northern liberal against a southern conservative. Kerry harping on his Vietnam experience and "flip-flopping" his positions didn&#39;t help. More importantly He allowed the Republican party to define him early on in the race and never could over come it. The swifties were only the final nail in his coffin.

Notice how none this speaks to approval of George Bush but instead, uncertainty regarding Kerry.

I always felt the ticket should have been Wesley Clark and Bob Graham. (Hell, I would have preferred Clark instead of Edwards as VP.)

I hope he decides to run again in 2008...