Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT- Detroit Sports talk says NHL Season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed the NHL needs to contract certain teams for long run success of hockey.
    Atlanta , Carolina, Phoenix, Los Angeles off the top of my head.
    Are you guys serious though you are going to change the team you rooted for your whole life-I am a lifelong Ranger fan and will always be a Ranger fan

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you could necessarily contract teams; however, the league should consider relocating some franchises to cities where they can be considered the big attraction. Say, Quebec City and Winnipeg, two cities that would die to have NHL hockey back in their cities. I remember Oklahoma City and Portland being mentioned as possible expansion cities in the past. Can't hurt giving them a try...

- Anaheim: only there because of Disney. Move 'em to Portland, Oregon, rename 'em to... something. Anything other than the Mighty Ducks.

- Atlanta: the league's second attempt is a nice try, but I don't see it succeeding, based on unsteady ownership. Move 'em to Winnipeg, rename 'em the Jets.

- Carolina: what the crap was Karmanos thinking, trying to compete with the NCAA and NASCAR?! Move 'em back to Hartford and rename 'em the Whalers!

- Florida: I don't know what the NHL was thinking here. They can't compete with any of the pro teams down there. Move 'em to Quebec, rename 'em the Nordiques.

I can see the NHL striving and surviving in smaller cities like Nashville and Columbus, where, again, hockey is the big attraction. See Indianapolis; when the Colts moved there, the NFL put that city on the map. Tampa Bay is for real and have a great hockey team. You can't contract Phoenix -- who just got an arena and a solid financial backing thanks to the Great One -- nor LA or Pittsburgh for legacy reasons. And Super Mario, of course.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From espn.com

NEW YORK -- In what could be a last-second breakthrough, both sides of the NHL lockout have given significant ground: The players' association will accept a salary cap, and the league has backed off its demand for a link between revenues and player costs.

Now they just have to figure out the money, and time has all but run out.

Even while the negotiations were going on, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman had already planned to announce the cancellation of the season Wednesday, a source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday.

Bettman was slated to speak Wednesday in New York, but the NHL declined to give details beyond the time (1 p.m. ET) and location (New York).

The NHL offered to remove its demand for a link between league revenues and player costs, a "significant move in the players' direction" the union said in a statement early Tuesday following a meeting in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

But when the players offered to accept a cap at $52 million -- the first time they came off their opposition to a ceiling on salaries -- the offer was rejected by the NHL. The league insisted on a salary cap that topped out at $40 million per team.

"It is indeed unfortunate that with the major steps taken by both sides we were unable to build enough momentum to reach an agreement," players' association senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement early Tuesday.

The NHL had no comment Tuesday on the union's statement.

No new talks were immediately scheduled, but with the philosophical differences now bridged there appeared to be room for the sides to negotiate dollar figures.

"We probably could've gotten this thing done in the summertime," Chicago forward Matthew Barnaby said. "Am I mad, no? I want to get back to work. But at the same time, I'm just a little disappointed that it went this far to play poker and to have someone call your bluff."

The 24-percent rollback on all existing contracts, originally offered by the union on Dec. 9, as well as more aggressive luxury tax rates and thresholds, were included in the players' counteroffer.

Buffalo Sabres player representative Jay McKee was surprised Tuesday when he heard the union would accept a cap.

"If that's where we were going, I wonder why now," he said.

With the major stumbling blocks now out of the way, the sides are only $12 million apart on what each team's cap should be. With the salary rollback, only eight of the 30 teams would be above $40 million.

Until now, Bettman insisted that the 30 teams know what their costs will be each season. The only way, he said, that could be achieved was to tie to the amount of player costs to a percentage of league revenues.

That was a solution the players' association refused.

NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly was the only other person involved in the meeting that wrapped up early Tuesday. The NHL reported that no progress was made, but didn't reveal any details of what was discussed.

If a deal is not reached quickly, the NHL would become the first major professional league in North America to lose an entire season because of a labor dispute. The Stanley Cup has been awarded every year since 1919, when a flu epidemic canceled the finals.

But more than two-thirds of the season and the All-Star Game already have been lost to a lockout that started Sept. 16.

Bettman said the sides needed to start putting a deal on paper by last weekend if the NHL was going to hold a 28-game season and a full 16-team playoff. The regular season normally is 82 games.

Even a session with a federal mediator Sunday in Washington couldn't produce an agreement. But it did lead to the breakthrough in talks Monday.

Bettman had said teams needed to have cost certainty to survive and the only way he could guarantee that was with a salary cap that linked league revenues to player costs. Now that position has changed for the first time since the NHL started gearing up for the lockout in 1998.

The league has said teams lost $273 million in 2002-03 and $224 million last season, and an economic study commissioned by the NHL found that players get 75 percent of league revenues. The union has challenged those figures.

A cap had been an automatic deal-breaker for the union even though it agreed that the financial landscape was flawed. The players' association contended that there are many other ways to fix it.

"There is no question the system has to change," said New Jersey Devils president Lou Lamoriello, who took part in earlier negotiating sessions. "We just have to keep working to find a solution. It's unfortunate we have to come this.

"If the season does end, we can't stop. We have to continue working at this and get it rectified as soon as we possibly can."

Monday, the 152nd day of the lockout, was to have been the last day of the All-Star break; the festivities in Atlanta were called off months earlier. Through Monday, 824 of the 1,230 regular-season games have been lost.

"Everybody has to take responsibility," Lamoriello said.

The sides have traded proposals throughout the lockout, but the salary cap had always been the sticking point. Other issues such as arbitration, revenue-sharing, and rookie caps never reached the true negotiating stage because the sides couldn't agree on the big issue.

In recent days, the union and league seemed adamant that they wouldn't budge.

"We're done," Saskin said Thursday after talks broke off.

On Sunday, Daly said: "We will not be reaching out to them."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by faba@Feb 15 2005, 10:54 AM
    I understand what you feel about hating The Dolans Jetman but I am lifelong Ranger fan beside a Jets fan and that is team loyalty not owner loyalty.
    Same here. I abhore what the Dolan's have allowed to happen to the NY winter sports teams, but they are my teams, and I follow them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MiamiJet+Feb 15 2005, 12:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MiamiJet @ Feb 15 2005, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 15 2005, 12:18 PM
    I fyou Jets fans who root for the Rangers haven&#39;t changed over to the Islanders you&#39;re wrong
    GOB, I&#39;ve been a fan of the Isles for 24 years. I used to love hockey, but my interest has waned the last few years.

How many of you guys will actually miss hockey? [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m a huge Islander fan and miss hockey a whole lot, very sad if there is no season. Islanders made the playoffs the last 3 years in a row. I went to game 6 v Toronto, Game 3 v. Ottawa and Game 3 v. Tampa. I would be so happy if there was a hockey season. I could put on my Trent Hunter jersey.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here&#39;s the last ditch effort. Geez, couldn&#39;t they have settled for &#036;45 instead of &#036;42.5? Gosh&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MiamiJet+Feb 15 2005, 12:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MiamiJet @ Feb 15 2005, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 15 2005, 12:18 PM
    I fyou Jets fans who root for the Rangers haven&#39;t changed over to the Islanders you&#39;re wrong
    GOB, I&#39;ve been a fan of the Isles for 24 years. I used to love hockey, but my interest has waned the last few years.

How many of you guys will actually miss hockey? [/b][/quote]
    I will. I&#39;ve been a die-hard Wings fan along with Guns for as long as I can remember. The lockout sucks but I guess one benefit of it all has been that one of my other loves (The Tigers) is finally get some money pumped into them. I have been fortunate enough to have been in Michigan for 3 Stanley Cup Championships (97,98, and 02) So I&#39;m more willing to see a Tiger championship than a Wing one at this point. But not having any Wings games to watch at all is torturing. Especially when I have to sit through a month of constant NBA news on Sportscenter.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least your Nba team is good. Knicks and Nets both stink this year. I need my Devils hockey, i dont care if its only 28 games

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but a 28 game season is the pits. Cancel the whole affair if you can&#39;t play 40. Or just cut down the playoff rounds, allowing less teams in, and therefore less rounds.

28 games is not a season. The playoffs will be longer then the season, and that is so wrong, it&#39;s a joke.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The union F&#39;d this up. Now theyre negotiating on a cap. After this CBA gets signed, the players need to fire Goodenow immediately. If he is now willing to settle on a cap, he shouldnt have waited until now to finally give in. This could have been settled in OCt/Nov. If youre gonna waith this long, stick with your guns and start a nesw league if you have to, Geez&#33;

At this point, if they had any regard, they would sign the CBA, have an all-star game in Tampa where they can finally hang their banner, and announce the plans for next year.

Handing out the cup this year tarnishes the value of the greatest North American trophy.

I for one will not atttend or watch a single NHL game this year. Being a Ranger fan make this little personal boycott a little easier.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but a 28 game season is the pits. Cancel the whole affair if you can&#39;t play 40. Or just cut down the playoff rounds, allowing less teams in, and therefore less rounds.

28 games is not a season. The playoffs will be longer then the season, and that is so wrong, it&#39;s a joke.
    28 games sucks, but it&#39;s all we&#39;ll get. I heard they will be all conference games too, which will be pretty damn cool and tight paced if you ask me. It&#39;s like a college basketball season, and hopefully, all the players respond with the same kind of vigor. Honestly, this has the potential to be a very exciting, hard fought 28 games because they all count so much. JMO.

I WILL be attending as many Devils games as I can, per usual.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by faba@Feb 15 2005, 12:39 PM
    Agreed the NHL needs to contract certain teams for long run success of hockey.
    Atlanta , Carolina, Phoenix, Los Angeles off the top of my head.
    Are you guys serious though you are going to change the team you rooted for your whole life-I am a lifelong Ranger fan and will always be a Ranger fan
    I wouldnt contract the Kings who sold out 35 out of 41 home games last year. The Rangers have been one of the main reasons a salary cap is needed in this league.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Angry Its official the season is canceled

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is over, F the players, let them rot, hopefully they will come back with replacement players so tickets will be cheaper, then those greedy c--k sucking players will come back pleading for a quarter of what they would of made had they agreed to a deal

F THE PLAYERS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go Cubbies

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bettman had his foot on the NHLPA&#39;s throat, and it wasn&#39;t enough for him. He craved--or rather certain owners--craved Unconditional Surrender.

Congratulations, Gary.

You have now presided over 2 Lockouts (including one cancelled season) in 10 years. Any other CEO would be fired--immediately.

The first came on the heels of the team from the Media Capital of the World winning its first Stanley Cup in 54 years. Instead of all of the Buzz that could have come with that, you flushed it down the toilet. Then, you go and put (and keep certain other) teams in cities that can barely sustain 3 Starbucks, and then say that the economic system is out of whack.

And, now with HDTV allowing hockey to be showcased on TV once again, you instead allow it to be a Leno punchline at best, irrelevant at worst. I guess you can give up your dream of being NBA Commissioner now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The blame is three-fold for me:

- Gary Bettman: he&#39;s finally etched himself as the worst executive in professional sports history with two lockouts in ten years. He failed to capitalize on the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup in 1994 - an event that could have carried the NHL into a Golden Era. Instead, overexpansion, franchise misrelocation, and sport mismarketing has taken this league into a downward spiral that will plague the sport in years to come. How the owners haven&#39;t smartened up and fired him is beyond all reason.

- Bob Goodenow: Bob Fehr&#39;s lackey has motivated players into a hate campaign against the league and came up with an unreachably high salary cap -- something they didn&#39;t support five months ago when this all could have been avoided&#33; Goodenow&#39;s ego, like Bettman&#39;s has failed to produce a single piece of progress. News to Bob: those who wait until the eleventh hour to get things done usually die at 10:59. Why the players haven&#39;t seen this guy as one of the entities bringing down hockey is, once again, beyond all reason.

- The America media: hockey been laughed at and looked down upon as a boring activity on ice by even the most novice of journalists. Instead of being looked upon as a sport with some incredible moments, it is looked at as defense-minded with the occasional goonery. The only time hockey gets noted in the American media is if something bad happens; for instance, the lockout, the Bertuzzi and McSorley incidents... and pretty much whatever Don Cherry says. The American media doesn&#39;t give any love to hockey.

So that&#39;s it. I&#39;ll be in my room, remembering the good things about hockey -- and supporting my local teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will go on record now and state that I do not see a 2005-2006 NHL season, unless the owners bring in replacement players, or the PA gives in to a Hard Cap at around &#036;40 million, WITH linkage to revenue.

No other way. If the PA holds out, then there will be no more NHL as we knew it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sad part here is that now since the season is cancelled, I&#39;m sure negotiations will not start up again until mid-September.

The owners have to have a season next year regardless of who laces up. If the owners bring in replacement players-the union will crack and accept a hard cap with linkage-as MBN stated.