Thread: "Pols Want to Ban Political Bias at Colleges"

[quote][b][SIZE=4][u][b]Pols Want to Ban Political Bias at Colleges[/b][/u][/SIZE]

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

CLEVELAND — Several Ohio state lawmakers want to pass legislation that they argue is needed to ban political bias on college campuses.

"Students should be free to give their opinion without fear of retribution," said Ohio GOP State Sen. Larry Mumper.

According to Mumper, professors in the Buckeye State (search) are discriminating against students who don't hold the same political views, and the bias is usually a liberal one. He points to a recent study by a Santa Clara University (search) researcher that found Democrats outnumber Republicans eight to one among social science and humanities faculty as evidence of the left slant.

Similar legislation is being debated in a dozen statehouses this year. It's already law in Georgia. Ohio’s bill goes one step further than other states and sets up a grievance system for complaints.

Opponents say the legislation amounts to unnecessary meddling.

"We shouldn't limit discussion, open debate, and limit our universities from having ... what I believe is a free market system of ideas," said Ohio Democratic State Sen. Teresa Fedor.

Supporters of the bill say it would not limit ideas, but rather ensure fairness.

"We're not trying to legislate thought, we're not trying to take away free speech, we simply think we should have parity,” Mumper said.

[/b][/quote]

I'd be surpirsed if there were 5 conservative professors on my campus.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Matt39[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 05:08 PM
    [b] I'd be surpirsed if there were 5 conservative professors on my campus. [/b][/quote]
    maybe we should make a consevative professor QUOTA!

10 or 20 would be better than 5! let's pass a constitutional ammendment!
    --

[b] there's a reason why there are no conservatives on campuses - they are for the most part off making real money in the real world - that's why they are conservatives and college professors will always be liberal [/b]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Just wondering- but has anyone received a lower grade in a college class because of political disagreement with a college professor??

I know I did in 1984 when a communications professor I had went on babbling about how horrible it was Ronald Reagan was re-elected until I raised my hand and asked what he thought Walter Mondale would do that was better...especially after his part in the worst Presidential administration in American history...

The professor was a protestor at the '68 convention in Chicago...to his credit he did admit that many of the protestors started much of the trouble but couldn't deal with the fact I would dare challenge him on his liberal dribble.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Feb 16 2005, 06:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Feb 16 2005, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Matt39[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 05:08 PM
    [b] I&#39;d be surpirsed if there were 5 conservative professors on my campus. [/b][/quote]
    maybe we should make a consevative professor QUOTA&#33;

10 or 20 would be better than 5&#33; let&#39;s pass a constitutional ammendment&#33;
    --

[b] there&#39;s a reason why there are no conservatives on campuses - they are for the most part off making real money in the real world - that&#39;s why they are conservatives and college professors will always be liberal [/b] [/b][/quote]
    It fits... You know the saying...

Those that CAN -- DO

Those that CAN&#39;T -- TEACH

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Feb 16 2005, 06:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Feb 16 2005, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Matt39[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 05:08 PM
    [b] I&#39;d be surpirsed if there were 5 conservative professors on my campus. [/b][/quote]
    maybe we should make a consevative professor QUOTA&#33;

10 or 20 would be better than 5&#33; let&#39;s pass a constitutional ammendment&#33;
    --

[b] there&#39;s a reason why there are no conservatives on campuses - they are for the most part off making real money in the real world - that&#39;s why they are conservatives and college professors will always be liberal [/b] [/b][/quote]
    Maybe we should stop big business from granting endowments to universities. Don&#39;t get me wrong there is a major attempt to stifle speech on American Campuses. We witnessed one in the last two weeks. Threatening to fire Ward Churchill succcessful or not will have a chilling effect effect on speech on US College Campuses. Though Mumpers may think that Professors stifle there students the screening process for course material is done at the adminisration level. Nothing is taught without their approval nothing. Deans and Department Chairs as much or more time consulting with business than they do with their faculty. All acreditted institutions of higher learning are required by law to provide Course Evaluation survey forms to all students every semester. Students are free to lodge complaints at that time. The fact of the matter is Churchill received some of the highest evaluations of any professor on the CU Campus.

All League
    Affirmative action for conservative professors&#33;

Is there any actual evidence of "retribution" for having a different political view than the professor? Or can right-wingers just not stand "dissidents"?

theres a bunch of evidence of it happening. In UW Madison there was a huge dispute over it in like 1999, when they tried to institute a faculty speech code to prevent that bias.
    That said, ive seen liberal professors screw conservative kids out of grades, and visa versa. The vast majority of professors in those fields, really all fields are liberal because of demographics. Most kids who go to college tend to be upper middle class children from urban and suburban areas. Basically, most of the really well educated people in america come from liberal areas and liberal backgrounds, and thus are liberal.