Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHL un-cancels season?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1994750

There might be an NHL season, after all.

The NHL and the players' association will meet in New York on Saturday after the league requested the sides get together again.

On Wednesday, commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the season, saying it was too late to play any semblance of a season. That appeared to make the NHL the first major North American sports league to lose a full season to a labor dispute.

Or did it?

In a statement released Friday night, the players' association said the NHL made the offer late Thursday night to get back together. There was no immediate word on who would take part in the meeting, although Canada's TSN reported earlier Friday that NHL vice president Bill Daly and NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin -- who ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek reported was traveling to New York on Friday night -- will be in attendance. TSN said Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow may not be directly involved in the meeting. Hradek also reported that even if an agreement is reached, there is no guarantee a season will be played this year.

Daly was involved in a closed-door meeting Friday evening and declined to comment.

There hadn't been any official contact between the NHL and the players' association since Tuesday night -- when the sides traded what they said were final offers.

All proposals were rejected, and Bettman went ahead and canceled the season Wednesday at a news conference that was scheduled two days earlier.

Bettman said in a letter to Goodenow on Tuesday that the league's salary cap proposal of $42.5 million was as far as he could go and that there was no time or flexibility for negotiation.

Goodenow sent a letter back, proposing a soft cap at $49 million that could be exceeded by as much as 10 percent by teams twice during the course of the six-year deal.

It appeared there was momentum toward reaching a deal and that the season had a chance to be saved since the sides were only $6.5 million apart on their cap numbers. But talking ceased after each side sent two letters to the other on Tuesday night.

There were big breakthroughs Monday in Niagara Falls, N.Y., when the NHL agreed to drop its demand that player costs be linked to league revenues, and the union, in turn, came off its steadfast opposition to a salary cap.

But the sides couldn't get together on an agreeable number.

"A lot of players, owners, managers saw how close the two negotiating teams got to a deal and I think people are just exploring if that can be explored any more," agent Pat Morris said Friday. "I don't know if it'll have a successful conclusion."

Bettman said the NHL couldn't afford the union's final proposal and said if all 30 teams spent $49 million on player costs, then more money would be paid out to players than last season.

Rumors began to swirl on Thursday, once the realization set in that the season had indeed been canceled.

One report had Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux joining forces to try to get talks restarted. But while Gretzky, the managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes, said he spoke to Lemieux -- the Pittsburgh Penguins' player-owner -- he said they didn't discuss getting negotiations restarted.

Daly said Thursday that unless the league hears from the players' association, any rumors are "meaningless."

Saskin said Thursday that he didn't expect the resumption of talks that could un-cancel the season.

"A lot of that is, nobody's willing to deal with the reality that the season is over. There's no way to get it back," New York Rangers player representative Tom Poti said Friday. "I'd say there's zero chance of anything happening."

Bettman has said that teams lost more than $1.8 billion over 10 years -- the last time a collective bargaining agreement was reached. The previous lockout cut the 1994-95 season down to 48 games per team.

NHL clubs claim to have lost $273 million in 2002-03 and $224 million last season.

Bettman said that a deal would have to be in the drafting stages by the end of last weekend if there was going to be time to play a 28-game season and a standard 16-team postseason.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

They're said to have an agreement in principle.

Brenjetsfan
    who gives a PUCK???

All Pro
    NHL is the worst. I Love sports but just cannot get into Hockey.

Rookie
    I enjoy watching some hockey after football season is over, I think the union and the nhl figured out they are just a little more popular than soccer here in the states and cant afford to lose anymore fans because they didnt do this in the off season.

All League
    Originally posted by Brenjetsfan@Feb 18 2005, 11:03 PM
    who gives a PUCK???
    ME!

GAME ON!

Let's go Rangers!!!!

According to WFAN the players agreed to a hard cap of 45 million and the players basically revolted against the union leadership who they feel screwed them out of a seasons pay playing a game they couldn't win once they gave in at the end.

Bring back the NHL!

Lets Go Rangers!

If there is a 28 game season maybe we can win 10 games? :lol:

All League
    Originally posted by Jason423@Feb 18 2005, 11:31 PM
    According to WFAN the players agreed to a hard cap of 45 million and the players basically revolted against the union leadership who they feel screwed them out of a seasons pay playing a game they couldn't win once they gave in at the end.
    Now that's total sh*t...

Bettman cancelled the season, and now their talking...both sides.

If the NHL owners didn't cave too, they wouldn't be talking now.

Cancelling this season would have been financial suicide for both the players AND owners.

Hall Of Fame
    As possibly the biggest hockey fan on this site, I saw. F THEM ALL

So what's the word? Is the season on or off? :unsure:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

So once again the fans get the short end. These players can't possibly be in shape, and a 20 games season is a joke. Owners should give season ticket holders the option of skipping this year and keeping their seats for next year.

Short season, maybe the Bruins stand a chance of winning the title because ina full schedule talent eventually wins out.

Hall Of Fame
    Completely bizarre that Bettman and Goodenow have been for all purposes practically fired. Why did either side allow these 2 clowns to go on this long?

EGO and STUPIDITY, thy name is NHL.

Betteman never belonged anywhere near the NHL....

He, unfortunately, was pushed on all of us that love hockey by the "mainstream" U.S media that never cared about the NHL and was obsessed with the NBA back in 1993.

The Mike and the Mad Dog crowd that can't stand the NBA anymore, pushed this clown, because he was a popular NBA #2 man, in the 5 minutes that the NBA was hot--right after 1992 Olympics.

As a Whalers fan, what can I say?.....I hate Betteman as much as I can hate any sports figure.

As far as this season, they should just leave the season canceled or have a 48 game season with just 4 teams making the playoffs....2 rounds and extend the season into July.

Either way, if arena's in NYC, Boston, Philly and Detroit are going to be only half full, how bad will things be in places like Carolina :lol:

F&#39; you Betteman and take Peter Karmanos and his gay son with you out the door <_<

Karmanos (Betteman a-hole buddy) http://sophia.smith.edu/~jeue/John/sofar.html

All League
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Feb 19 2005, 11:52 AM

He, unfortunately, was pushed on all of us that love hockey by the "mainstream" U.S media that never cared about the NHL and was obsessed with the NBA back in 1993.

The Mike and the Mad Dog crowd that can&#39;t stand the NBA anymore, pushed this clown, because he was a popular NBA #2 man, in the 5 minutes that the NBA was hot--right after 1992 Olympics.

As a Whalers fan, what can I say?.....I hate Betteman as much as I can hate any sports figure.

As far as this season, they should just leave the season canceled or have a 48 game season with just 4 teams making the playoffs....2 rounds and extend the season into July.

Either way, if arena&#39;s in NYC, Boston, Philly and Detroit are going to be only half full, how bad will things be in places like Carolina :lol:

F&#39; you Betteman and take Peter Karmanos and his gay son with you out the door <_<

Betteman was brought in with no knowledge or background in hockey as commisioner. The very worst assumption that any true hockey fan would have known that there is a hard core set of fans and area for hockey in U.S.
    Riggins44 you have my condolences for Whalers-it was stupid move to relocate them&#33;
    I actually took a trip with my friend from when I lived in New York to see Rangers play in Hartford -it was enjoyable experience.

Thanks faba, remember when Betteman took over and the Canadian media was trying to test his hockey knowledge?

They&#39;d ask him all kinds of questions and all he could say was he loved hockey because he went to Cornell with Ken Dryden <_<

He&#39;s a fool, who never realized hockey in the South and West is good, but should be done in moderation....LA, San Jose, Dallas, Atlanta and Tampa OK, the others are a total waste of space.

In fairness to this fool, he had no part of bringing Anahiem and Miami (albeit barely) into the league...But at least those markets are better than Betteman&#39;s markets--Nashville, Phoenix, Raleigh.

Whalers situation bothered me a lot at first--no doubt....When they were even decent, they&#39;d play to over 95% capacity (had some real down seasons in the early 90&#39;s)...and a new arena was set to built. But Betteman had to conquer the South, so the NHL could compete for TV money :wacko:

Truth is, I&#39;m about 80 miles away from the Civic Arena and couldn&#39;t go to too many games anyway....One good thing about them leaving, however, is I don&#39;t waste 90 nights per season listining too or watching Betteman&#39;s dumbed down, red-line trap league, with no scoring and &#036;150 tickets B)

All League
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 19 2005, 12:36 AM
    As possibly the biggest hockey fan on this site, I saw. F THEM ALL
    Second biggest

Originally posted by Riggins44@Feb 19 2005, 11:52 AM

The Mike and the Mad Dog crowd that can&#39;t stand the NBA anymore, pushed this clown, because he was a popular NBA #2 man, in the 5 minutes that the NBA was hot--right after 1992 Olympics.

Either way, if arena&#39;s in NYC, Boston, Philly and Detroit are going to be only half full, how bad will things be in places like Carolina :lol:

How clueless is Bettman? This is his second lock out in 10 years. This clown made his league fall into a lockout the year after his most popular team won the stanley cup. The NHL was supposed to build off the momentum the rangers garnered by winning the cup, but instead this ass clown locked his league up and totally killed any momentum they had.

Whatelse has bettman done? Lets see...

One of his first orders of work as league commissioner was to change the names of the conferences and divisions. Unlike other sports the NHL&#39;s conference and division names had a historic meaning to them. But Bettman, who confessed that he never attended an NHL game before being named commissioner, decided to spit right in the face of history and change the names of the divisions and conferences to reflect the NBA. You know, the Eastern/Western Conference along with the northwest, atlantic, southeast and northpole divisions.

Is there anything else? Sure, this clown bettman expanded the league to a ton of small markets. What the heck is hockey doing in Nashville or Carolina? Why is there a team in Atlanta who can&#39;t even sell out NLCS games? Phoenix? BWAHAAA. This brilliant idea by bettman watered down the whole league which forced a ton of small/middle market teams to adapt the trap as the only means to compete which in turn totally destroyed the game of hockey. All hockey consists now is dump and chase, dump and chase. Fascinating stuff. Watch a game from the 70&#39;s, 80&#39;s and even early 90&#39;s and hockey was a TOTALLY different game. Its frightening what has happened to the game on the ice. You can blame the Devils and Bettman for that one.

For years this guy Bettman thought the biggest priority was to change the overtime format in hockey in order to give teams the incentive to go for the win in OT. So he came up with a brilliant scheme to give a team a point just for making it to overtime. Hey, you blow a 4-0 lead and lose in OT? No problem you still get rewarded with a point. Now the NHL has four or five columns in their standings and I dont even know what some of them mean anymore. Not only that but the idea also backfired because teams battling for the playoffs still played it conservatively against eachother in OT later in the year because they dont want to give up the extra point. DOH&#33; It doesnt get any dumber than that.

Anyway, this guy Bettman is still twisted on this overtime thing. Now he wants to implement penalty shots. He thinks that will generate some interest. Yea bettman, more fans will watch hockey games because there is about a 20% possibility that the game may need to be decided by penalty shots. Good idea. You want more interest in your game FIX what occurs from the 1st through 3rd period&#33; Stop worrying about friggin OT.

Even going to an NHL game is not the same. Everything is so WWE like. The blaring music on the loud speakers, stupid crowd meters telling fans when to cheer and how. What a joke.

Also, lets not forget the GLOWING PUCK that FOX tried along with that ridiculous streak that used to trail the puck after every shot. Im pretty sure FOX had to first run that brilliant idea by Bettman. If I were Bettman I would have slapped somebody silly at FOX for even attempting to turn my game into a STAR WARS movie.

Bettman is a complete joke.

Well put Jetman....Real well put. Watching the game and how it&#39;s dissolved into trash makes almost happy my team bailed out....Like you said, watching the garbage that Bettman has created, is almost unthinkable, to any who watched and loved the sport throughout the 1990&#39;s--or prior.

One of his first orders of work as league commissioner was to change the names of the conferences and divisions. Unlike other sports the NHL&#39;s conference and division names had a historic meaning to them. But Bettman, who confessed that he never attended an NHL game before being named commissioner, decided to spit right in the face of history and change the names of the divisions and conferences to reflect the NBA. You know, the Eastern/Western Conference along with the northwest, atlantic, southeast and northpole divisions.
    Great point. At the time it seemed like a minor issue, but in retrospect it was symbolic of league trying to pretend it was the NBA...When hockey does come back (and I hope it&#39;s next season), they should go back to the "old school confrence names"...

Not only had Bettman never been to a game, but I&#39;d venture to bet he doesn&#39;t even like hockey (I can see it in eyes at games--he could care less)---that&#39;s how this Whalers fan has felt for a while...As bad as Zeigler was, the sport meant everything to him--until he got lazy and stopped doing anything in the 90&#39;s <_<

Is there anything else? Sure, this clown bettman expanded the league to a ton of small markets. What the heck is hockey doing in Nashville or Carolina? Why is there a team in Atlanta who can&#39;t even sell out NLCS games? Phoenix? BWAHAAA.
    As Bugg has pointed out, NHL teams got drunk with expansion fees to cover up their losses...The fees were a short-term money maker, but did very little to help in the long run....Just bad stuff....What&#39;s worse, is the league has a lot of new talent from Europe and they still can&#39;t stock these rosters---too many awful players that need to clutch and grab to compete because they lack talent.

**The glowing puck was a joke. The physics of the NHL make TV tough--puck moves to fast and is too small, plus the huge rinks...No glowing puck will ever overcome that.

Notice how quickly FOX bailed on Bettman and his stoodge, yes men like Davidson and the others?

**OT should never, ever by determined by penalty shots--ever. The 5 minute OT is beyond enough in the regular season...

Bettman is a complete joke.
    Nothing more to say than we&#39;re in complete agreement. Let&#39;s hope his reign of terror on NHL fans is soon over....Former LB Bryan Cox of the Jets used to say Paul Taglibue was the weakest owner of all 4 major sports after paying his fines....

Obviously, Bryan never followed the NHL B)