Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knicks swing a deal

Veteran
    Jesus...this is insane....Thomas is trying his very best to run this team into the ground. Unless im missing something, can someone please give me an "upside" to these deals?

All League
    I love how Thomas continues to pay players after they leave the team... the Knicks are in the toilet and I think will be for a long time...

I had a feeling since he missed out on webber he would try and retaliliate

This should be in NBA Forum but Thomas should be fired for this one.

Hall Of Fame
    i dont even know what to say...my rage knows no bounds...MUST KILL ISAIH THOMAS!!!!!!!

Smart deal. The only real contributor in that bunch he traded was Nazr, and he wasn't exactly ripping it up. Don't worry about the salaries - the Knicks can't be under the cap until houston's deal is up at the earliest anyway, so extra salary for the next 3 years doesn't hurt them at all (plus maybe it'll strap the Dolans enough that they can't back the anti-stadium crowd anymore )
    The real key to the deals is the picks. Yeah, they'll be late first rounders, but you can get good proven talent there, since the top of the draft is mostly HS and foreign players now anyway. Plus, if they lose a few more games without Nazr, their own original pick gets higher, maybe enough to draft a legit center for next year. All in all, its a good deal - or, as good a deal as I could see for the stiffs we traded away

TMahoney
    Didn't they aquire another 1st round pick though?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by doggin94it@Feb 24 2005, 02:28 PM
    Smart deal. The only real contributor in that bunch he traded was Nazr, and he wasn't exactly ripping it up. Don't worry about the salaries - the Knicks can't be under the cap until houston's deal is up at the earliest anyway, so extra salary for the next 3 years doesn't hurt them at all (plus maybe it'll strap the Dolans enough that they can't back the anti-stadium crowd anymore )
    The real key to the deals is the picks. Yeah, they'll be late first rounders, but you can get good proven talent there, since the top of the draft is mostly HS and foreign players now anyway. Plus, if they lose a few more games without Nazr, their own original pick gets higher, maybe enough to draft a legit center for next year. All in all, its a good deal - or, as good a deal as I could see for the stiffs we traded away
    i'm sure isaih will use all 3 picks to draft undersized guards...HE MUST BE STOPPED!!!

not that I follow the NBA all that much but what was the trade? I cant open the link

When Zeke took over he dogged the draft saying hoping to improve the team via the draft was like "waiting for santa claus" and the Knicks had to find conventional ways to improve the team.

Now this guy is hell bent on acquiring draft picks and is touring the globe scouting players for the upcoming draft which is fine, but makes you wonder if he really has a plan.

The only two good things about this trade is #1 Sweetney will most likely start and #2 The draft picks.

I really don't mind this trade. Malik Rose is a good defender. I liked Nazie, but is he really that big of a deal? The other guys were bench warmers. Two 1st rounders sounds nice too.

Not that awful.

late draft picks these days dont mean much

We got rid of TRASH in Moochie Norris, Vin Baker, and Jamison Brewer, and that is a bad trade?

We still have pawns to deal this coming off -season in Hardaway, Tim Thomas, and Kurt Thomas, Tim and Penny are entering their final year of their contracts, that is where the salary money will be returned. We bring in Rose, is is a solid role player, and Mo Taylor, who is still young and brings a better post presence than any player on our roster other than maybe Sweetney, and he is still green.

AND, we get two first round picks.

I dont understand why People are ripping this deal, look at the facts.

The knicks can't be under the cap for a while due to Houston, and other future contracts.

Nazr stinks. Over his last 7 games he is averaging like 5 points per game and 3 rebounds. All his good games came in the beginning, his body is breaking down and he was beginning to complain. Brewer stinks and never played either way. Rose is a hustler who plays defense. The guy cares when he is on the court! The knicks need more hustle and determination.

Vin Baker and Moochie for Taylor. 2 great stiff for a serviceable body. Taylor can go 7 points and 5 boards in 20 mins, something Vin Baker couldnt ever do. Along with that, Taylor plays defense too! Remember he has just been whipped into shape by Van Gundy.

2 late first rounders. If Issah has any skill, it is judging young talent, Jermaine Oneal, Trevor Ariza are his 2 prized possessions. I trust Issah to grab serviceable players with 3 first rounders.

THIS MOVE LETS SWEETNEY START, THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

The Knicks are in very solid shape going into next years trading deadline. They have 2 max contracts in Penny and Tim Thomas they can deal for serviceable players.

Next years Knicks after next deadline:

Marbury, Crawford, Ariza, Kurt Thomas, Mo Taylor, Malik Rose, Jerome Williams, Michael Sweetney, First Rounder A, First Rounder B, First Rounder C, and any serviceable bodies we can get for TT and Penny, could very well be someone like Antoine Walker or Chris Webber or something of that nature. Look what Baron Davis and Walker went for this year, expiring contracts.

Think ahead!

" late draft picks these days dont mean much"

Tell that to Josh Howard, Marquise Daniels, Trevor Ariza, Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, Kyle Korver, Jr Smith, Willie Greene, Carlos Boozer, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Udirh and many many more!

Sixers made some great moves ... getting Weber ... and then Rodney Rodgers (basically for eating Mashburn's contract in the swap for Glenn Robinson ... both of these two may never play again ... sixers basically get the extra year of the big contract for Mashburn ... his contract is through next year)

I think all of the other teams are scrambling/reacting to do something.

Sixers really went out and tried to do something to help their team right away ... sixers could do something in the players if the players can gel by playoff time.

C - Samuel Dalembert
    PF - Chris Weber
    SF - Kyle Korver
    SG - Andre Iguodala
    PG - Allen Iverson

Bench
    C - Marc Jackson
    F - Rodney Rodgers
    PF - Michael Bradley
    SF - Matt Barnes
    PG - Willie Green
    SG - Aaron McKie
    etc ...

Maybe Bradway can take note.

Some good things about the trade come out.
    Listen guys these trades are not as bad as you think.

First. Maurice Taylor strugled in the west, in the east he will be better. He can right now replace Mohammed as the 5 in the lineup. I believe that he will be a good fit for them. Taylor isnt like Nazr, Taylor is a big body, not as tall as Nazr, but same weight. Taylor is a good rebounder, but he isnt exactly known for his offensive talent. But the thing is, whenever you would see Marbury, or crawford dump the ball off to Nazr after they drove, he would always fumble the ball and lose it(i call players like him "doofs") Taylor isnt like that, he is overall more athletic and can handle the ball in situations like that.

Malik Rose, now this trade is a little questionable. Rose is really deeper bench player with a big contract. He will get paid quite a bit for like 3-4 more years.

But as another guy said, until we can get Houstons contract out we wont be under the cap. Also Penny and Timmys big contracts come off the books at the end of next year, and i think we will skim over 25 mil off the cap with those two guys.

But really Thomas, just got rid of dead weight players. Nazr, Baker, and Norris, got paid a decent amount for doing nothing. And their contracts dont come off the books until Taylors does, and 1 year before Rose's.

But the big thing was getting the 1st rounders. They will of course be late 1st rounders. But you can get some real talent with those picks. Sleeper type guys.
    We are probably going to have a lottery picks, and then probably somewhere around 20 and somewhere in the late 20's. Josh Smith last year went 17, Jameer Nelson went 20, Tony Allen went 25, Beno Udrih went 28. Now im not saying these guys are stars now, but they are prospects that have been decent contributors until now.

I really like what he did, not because of the two players we received but because of the picks that we get. Also the players that we traded for the ones from the other teams, are upgrades when you consider them.

Originally posted by The Sowell Train@Feb 24 2005, 04:00 PM
    " late draft picks these days dont mean much"

Tell that to Josh Howard, Marquise Daniels, Trevor Ariza, Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, Kyle Korver, Jr Smith, Willie Greene, Carlos Boozer, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Udirh and many many more!
    booyah!

TMahoney
    They're gonna use these picks to move up in the draft this year and pickup a big man.