Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Knicks latest series of trades

  1. #1
    The Knicks parted ways today with Nazr Mohammed, Jamison Brewer, Vin Baker and Moochie Norris for Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor, and the Spurs and Rockets first rounders next season. Any dreams of cap flexibility for the Knicks in 2 years are pretty much shattered with Rose and Taylor but hey at least they will be getting some late first round picks next season. Unless they have another deal in place this is another in a string of bad moves by the Knicks.

  2. #2
    Ha, beat me to it, agree they're pretty bad, Spurs trade is really awful, Rockets OK I guess

  3. #3
    Actually the trades arent as bad as you think.

    Thomas is pretty much tanking the season, and the next couple to build for the future. The only reason he made these trades arent for cap room or players but are for the picks.

    For the next three to four years we have cap problems, but we also dont know what players we will be getting with the picks we picked up today, and the picks we might pick up in the future.

  4. #4
    Originally posted by Jet#24Eventually@Feb 24 2005, 07:03 PM
    Actually the trades arent as bad as you think.

    Thomas is pretty much tanking the season, and the next couple to build for the future. The only reason he made these trades arent for cap room or players but are for the picks.

    For the next three to four years we have cap problems, but we also dont know what players we will be getting with the picks we picked up today, and the picks we might pick up in the future.
    How many times does a late first round pick turn into a player to build around? Rarely. The NBA draft is pretty much at the most maybe 12 picks deep where you may find a guy who ends up being a very good to great ballplayer unless Isiah has been going nuts scouting Europe in hopes of finding a guy to play 2 or 3 years down the line. What he has to be doing is finding a way to recoup that high draft pick he lost last year in that awful Marbury trade not getting the Spurs and Rockets draft picks. Rather than looking at these teams to make a deal with Thomas should have been looking to deal Mohammed or Kurt Thomas to teams like the Nets or Bucks or Sixers. Teams on the outside looking in willing to part with a draft pick that could turn into a lottery pick. Those are medium risk/higher reward type deals. And if he is giving up for the future he should be looking into trading Marbury and Crawford who Im sure he could get first rounders down the line for. The Knicks have been a mess for ages now and Thomas' plan to me just doesn't make much sense.

  5. #5
    Originally posted by Jason423+Feb 24 2005, 09:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jason423 @ Feb 24 2005, 09:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jet#24Eventually@Feb 24 2005, 07:03 PM
    Actually the trades arent as bad as you think.

    Thomas is pretty much tanking the season, and the next couple to build for the future. The only reason he made these trades arent for cap room or players but are for the picks.

    For the next three to four years we have cap problems, but we also dont know what players we will be getting with the picks we picked up today, and the picks we might pick up in the future.
    How many times does a late first round pick turn into a player to build around? Rarely. The NBA draft is pretty much at the most maybe 12 picks deep where you may find a guy who ends up being a very good to great ballplayer unless Isiah has been going nuts scouting Europe in hopes of finding a guy to play 2 or 3 years down the line. What he has to be doing is finding a way to recoup that high draft pick he lost last year in that awful Marbury trade not getting the Spurs and Rockets draft picks. Rather than looking at these teams to make a deal with Thomas should have been looking to deal Mohammed or Kurt Thomas to teams like the Nets or Bucks or Sixers. Teams on the outside looking in willing to part with a draft pick that could turn into a lottery pick. Those are medium risk/higher reward type deals. And if he is giving up for the future he should be looking into trading Marbury and Crawford who Im sure he could get first rounders down the line for. The Knicks have been a mess for ages now and Thomas&#39; plan to me just doesn&#39;t make much sense. [/b][/quote]
    Jamail Tinsley, Nazr, Boozer, Ariza, et al. All drafted in the area where the S.A. pick will be, or in the 2nd round. And there are plenty more.

  6. #6
    Originally posted by mbn007+Feb 28 2005, 08:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Feb 28 2005, 08:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Jason423@Feb 24 2005, 09:06 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jet#24Eventually
    @Feb 24 2005, 07:03 PM
    Actually the trades arent as bad as you think.

    Thomas is pretty much tanking the season, and the next couple to build for the future. The only reason he made these trades arent for cap room or players but are for the picks.

    For the next three to four years we have cap problems, but we also dont know what players we will be getting with the picks we picked up today, and the picks we might pick up in the future.

    How many times does a late first round pick turn into a player to build around? Rarely. The NBA draft is pretty much at the most maybe 12 picks deep where you may find a guy who ends up being a very good to great ballplayer unless Isiah has been going nuts scouting Europe in hopes of finding a guy to play 2 or 3 years down the line. What he has to be doing is finding a way to recoup that high draft pick he lost last year in that awful Marbury trade not getting the Spurs and Rockets draft picks. Rather than looking at these teams to make a deal with Thomas should have been looking to deal Mohammed or Kurt Thomas to teams like the Nets or Bucks or Sixers. Teams on the outside looking in willing to part with a draft pick that could turn into a lottery pick. Those are medium risk/higher reward type deals. And if he is giving up for the future he should be looking into trading Marbury and Crawford who Im sure he could get first rounders down the line for. The Knicks have been a mess for ages now and Thomas&#39; plan to me just doesn&#39;t make much sense.
    Jamail Tinsley, Nazr, Boozer, Ariza, et al. All drafted in the area where the S.A. pick will be, or in the 2nd round. And there are plenty more. [/b][/quote]
    And there are tons more who dont make it. For every 1 late round pick who makes it as a good player there are probably 7 or 8 who don&#39;t. The odds of getting a great player are significantly less than the odds of finding a great player. Could the Knicks find a good player that late in the draft? Maybe, but the odds are against it and you rarely, if ever, will find a guy to build around that late. If 1 of the 2 picks works out I think I would be thrilled if I was a big Knicks fan. But if 0 of 2 work out, and thats more likely, it was a total waste of a trade. I would think at leat 80% of the GMs in the NBA if they were in Thomas&#39; situation would have never made the moves he has in the last year, especially this one.

  7. #7
    3 game winning streak since the trade....

  8. #8
    Originally posted by Jason423+Feb 28 2005, 09:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jason423 @ Feb 28 2005, 09:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by mbn007@Feb 28 2005, 08:42 AM
    Originally posted by Jason423@Feb 24 2005, 09:06 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jet#24Eventually
    @Feb 24 2005, 07:03 PM
    Actually the trades arent as bad as you think.

    Thomas is pretty much tanking the season, and the next couple to build for the future. The only reason he made these trades arent for cap room or players but are for the picks.

    For the next three to four years we have cap problems, but we also dont know what players we will be getting with the picks we picked up today, and the picks we might pick up in the future.

    How many times does a late first round pick turn into a player to build around? Rarely. The NBA draft is pretty much at the most maybe 12 picks deep where you may find a guy who ends up being a very good to great ballplayer unless Isiah has been going nuts scouting Europe in hopes of finding a guy to play 2 or 3 years down the line. What he has to be doing is finding a way to recoup that high draft pick he lost last year in that awful Marbury trade not getting the Spurs and Rockets draft picks. Rather than looking at these teams to make a deal with Thomas should have been looking to deal Mohammed or Kurt Thomas to teams like the Nets or Bucks or Sixers. Teams on the outside looking in willing to part with a draft pick that could turn into a lottery pick. Those are medium risk/higher reward type deals. And if he is giving up for the future he should be looking into trading Marbury and Crawford who Im sure he could get first rounders down the line for. The Knicks have been a mess for ages now and Thomas&#39; plan to me just doesn&#39;t make much sense.

    Jamail Tinsley, Nazr, Boozer, Ariza, et al. All drafted in the area where the S.A. pick will be, or in the 2nd round. And there are plenty more.
    And there are tons more who dont make it. For every 1 late round pick who makes it as a good player there are probably 7 or 8 who don&#39;t. The odds of getting a great player are significantly less than the odds of finding a great player. Could the Knicks find a good player that late in the draft? Maybe, but the odds are against it and you rarely, if ever, will find a guy to build around that late. If 1 of the 2 picks works out I think I would be thrilled if I was a big Knicks fan. But if 0 of 2 work out, and thats more likely, it was a total waste of a trade. I would think at leat 80% of the GMs in the NBA if they were in Thomas&#39; situation would have never made the moves he has in the last year, especially this one. [/b][/quote]
    Can&#39;t argue your logic about the success rate of late 1st rounders. The rate for 2nd rounders is even worse. However, there was an article on ESPN.Com about lottery picks. In the past 15 seasons (prior to last years draft), the number of lottery picks who played for at least 5 years in the NBA (they looked at 10 drafts, from 15 years ago to 5 years ago), was below 60%. It was a shockingly low number.

    Now, the number of lottery picks who made at least 1 All Star team during the same 10 year period was also around the same 60% number. So, that means that if you pick the right guy, you probably picekd a good player. But 1 out of 3 lottery picks are wasted.

    So nothing is a guarantee in the NBA. It&#39;s all a crap-shoot.

  9. #9
    TMahoney
    Guest
    We just need to a hit a home run with 1 of these picks.


    1of4. PIck ALL BIG MEN.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,530
    Joke I heard yesterday-If the Pope can hang in there, there&#39;s a good chance Isiah Thomas can swing a deal for him with the Vatican.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us