Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Help with College Decision

Undrafted Free Agent
    My sister went to BC. It's a nice school, but lately has turned to less of a partying school...most have though with school's working more and more closely with police

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Fun time at BC:

Fun Time at San Diego St:

The choice is yours!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245
    I am thoroughly confused with my college selection, and was wondering if anybody here would be able to help out. I trust my fellow Jets Insiders and value your opinions. Right now, I am trying to decide between Boston College, The College of New Jersey, and Villanova. If anybody is familiar with any of these three schools your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

you may be surprised by what i am going to tell you but this is the best advice i can give.............first let me tell you i graduated HS in NYC, completed my four yrs at St Johns in NYC..........went to Dental and Medical School and did a residency that took 7 yrs............i know all about school trust me.............My advice to you is the same for my own kids..........go to the cheapest college that supports your goals............the bottom line is if you smoke college courses anywhere that is accredited you will get into any graduate school without much of a problem...........I remember getting into Med School with all the Ivy leaguer elitists............and they frowned down on anyone from a lesser school.................funny thing is by yr two of med school when i was the top ranked student they all sure changed their tune and fast...........................and when i followed it up by getting into the toughest residency program in our last yr they really felt like idiots and dont think i did not remind them of how much they spent......i think i spent 10K total on tuition.........a cheap St Johns education looked pretty damn smart compared to some of these kids who spent 120K over 4 yrs at Yale, Harvard, and Princeton for a pathway that got us to the same point...............the moral of this story is you can suceed in any college if you work at it while youre there and dont screw around.....too many kids think they can and they pay dearly for it when they start to enter the job force............and saving a ton of money especially important if your going on to grad school, med school, dental school, or law school or getting an advanced degree in any field after college..............because that is when school costs rise exponentially and really gets steep.............you can go into debt 200K for grad school and if your in 120 K for college you better make damn sure youre going into a career that can pay off that student debt............Being a teacher or Social Worker who went to Harvard and grad school in psychology at princeton and is 350K in debt is akin to hoping Social security is going to be there for you at retirement to meet all of your and your families needs................pure insanity.................think about your long range goals and the type of money you'll be making in that job............and then make the smart decision................i made this one at the age of 17 with help form my mom..........My son has been given the same advice i gave you here...........infact i told him if he wanted to be a teacher it would be fine but plan on going to a very cheap state school cause i am not paying for him to go to an IVY league school if he wants to do it he can take out HEAL loans and take that risk himself.....................smartest thing i ever did.
    Last edited by bongo59; 04-06-2005 at 11:22 PM.

Practice Squad
    I graduated from Boston University...a few miles down the road from BC. Boston is a GREAT place to attend college. Lots of fun things to do and there are always lots of things to do with a bunch of young people around. Lotsa opportunity to 'til you

I have never been to Philly, but it would be pretty hard to match up with Boston.

Never heard of the NJ college...that should probably factor into your decision.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JacktheRipper
    You dont have to listen to this but I wouldnt go to a college in Pennsylvania if you paid me. Schools like Bucknell and Villanova have always been breeding grounds(literally ) for rich snobby kids who dont give a crap about their parents spending 15-20 g's a year on them in college.
    $15-20K/yr for Bucknell? Really?

I would guess that it's about twice that.

I went to Tulane in LA, but the Navy paid for it...in 1977-1981, the tuition was about $4K/yr.

Now it's $35K+/yr for tuition ALONE.

My advice would be to try and narrow down what you want to do to at least a specific field (not job) and then choose a school that excels in that regard.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo59
    you may be surprised by what i am going to tell you but this is the best advice i can give.............first let me tell you i graduated HS in NYC, completed my four yrs at St Johns in NYC..........went to Dental and Medical School and did a residency that took 7 yrs............i know all about school trust me.............My advice to you is the same for my own kids..........go to the cheapest college that supports your goals............the bottom line is if you smoke college courses anywhere that is accredited you will get into any graduate school without much of a problem...........I remember getting into Med School with all the Ivy leaguer elitists............and they frowned down on anyone from a lesser school.................funny thing is by yr two of med school when i was the top ranked student they all sure changed their tune and fast...........................and when i followed it up by getting into the toughest residency program in our last yr they really felt like idiots and dont think i did not remind them of how much they spent......i think i spent 10K total on tuition.........a cheap St Johns education looked pretty damn smart compared to some of these kids who spent 120K over 4 yrs at Yale, Harvard, and Princeton for a pathway that got us to the same point...............the moral of this story is you can suceed in any college if you work at it while youre there and dont screw around.....too many kids think they can and they pay dearly for it when they start to enter the job force............and saving a ton of money especially important if your going on to grad school, med school, dental school, or law school or getting an advanced degree in any field after college..............because that is when school costs rise exponentially and really gets steep.............you can go into debt 200K for grad school and if your in 120 K for college you better make damn sure youre going into a career that can pay off that student debt............Being a teacher or Social Worker who went to Harvard and grad school in psychology at princeton and is 350K in debt is akin to hoping Social security is going to be there for you at retirement to meet all of your and your families needs................pure insanity.................think about your long range goals and the type of money you'll be making in that job............and then make the smart decision................i made this one at the age of 17 with help form my mom..........My son has been given the same advice i gave you here...........infact i told him if he wanted to be a teacher it would be fine but plan on going to a very cheap state school cause i am not paying for him to go to an IVY league school if he wants to do it he can take out HEAL loans and take that risk himself.....................smartest thing i ever did.
    I would agree with almost all of this...

While a good school (by reputation) will help in some regards with admittance to grad school, I was amazed at how many guys were in medical school with me that were from plain state universities or smaller schools, but had good grades...they did just as well and owed a LOT less money.

All League
    I would advise you to pick a school in Southern Florida. At least when you fail out you can get a job in an awesome nightclub in South Beach. Tons of fun, living like a rockstar. Very important... Meet a divorced plastic sugar mamma. Marry her. Hell yeah. You could either do that or just do it the "supossed to" way.

wickedtwisted
    Has anyone ever been to Johnson and Wales?

Charter JI Member
    Bongo59, good for you, I think you were the rare 17 year old, he thought maturely about his future and had a plan. SJU is a fine school, and you have proved that if you apply yourself the world opens up to you.

The financials for College and beyond are frightening these days.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245
    No, it is called The College of New Jersey. It had a name change a few years ago. See, the problem with that school is it is really good academically but does not have much of a reputation. That is what I am afraid of. I like it there, but I wanted to know how much a name carries in the real world. I do like BC and Nova too, so I am sure I will be happy with my decision.
    It used to Trenton State College and they cahnged it to College of New Jersey. Here's some info;

TCNJ Home : News :

For Immediate Release
    September 13, 2004

The College of New Jersey Ranked
    with Nation's Elite

EWING, NJ . The College of New Jersey has been named one of the nation's top schools, according to rankings published in the 2005 edition of Barron's Profiles of American Colleges. TCNJ joins the likes of Duke University , Stanford University, Harvard University, Princeton University, and the six other Ivy League institutions among the 75 schools that Barron's lists in its "Most Competitive" category.

This is the first year in which TCNJ has achieved such elite status, having previously been considered a "Highly Competitive" college by the publication.

"This recognition of the tremendous progress we have made and of the unique educational opportunities available at The College of New Jersey is a great honor," TCNJ President R. Barbara Gitenstein said. "To receive this news as we embark upon a yearlong celebration of The College's 150th anniversary is an added bonus that further enhances the rich tradition as well as public perception of our institution."

Of the ranking, Barron's notes: "Even superior students will encounter a great deal of competition for admission to the colleges in this category.these colleges require high school rank in the top 10 percent to 20 percent and grade averages of A to B+. Median freshman test scores at these colleges are generally between 655 and 800 on the SAT I and 29 and above on the ACT."

Dr. Steven Briggs, TCNJ's provost, explained that "By offering dynamic academic programs and hiring extremely talented faculty and staff members, The College has created a supportive and challenging learning environment. What we offer is appealing to prospective students, and that is reflected in the number and quality of the applications for admission that we receive each year."

The College of New Jersey and Princeton University are the only New Jersey schools to garner this distinction from Barron's , and TCNJ is the sole public institution from the Northeast, including New England, to be classified as "Most Competitive." Just seven public institutions nationally-TCNJ, the University of North Carolina, the University of Virginia, the College of William and Mary, the University of California at Berkeley, the University of California at Los Angeles, and the University of Florida-made the publication's top tier.

"TCNJ stands out from even its peers on this prestigious list by offering such a high caliber of education at a price that is extremely affordable," President Gitenstein noted. "As a public institution, we take great pride in fulfilling our mandate to provide educational opportunities that are accessible to a diverse and talented group of students."

The Barron 's ranking comes on the heels of U.S. News and World Report's recent naming of TCNJ as the top public institution in the northern region of the country.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About The College of New Jersey
    The College of New Jersey, a primarily undergraduate institution, provides academically prepared students with a challenging education and a rewarding residential experience, small classes and a prestigious faculty. TCNJ has been recognized nationally for its excellence including in U.S. News and World Report, The Fiske Guide to Colleges, Barron's Profiles of American Colleges, and Peterson's Competitive Colleges. The College of New Jersey is located on 289 tree-lined acres in suburban Ewing, NJ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JetsInsider.com Legend
    at the end of the day, unless it's a top notch school it's not going to make a difference either way - where you will enjoy being and hopefully they don't rape you on student loans -

failing that go with the highest US news and world report ranking that will make it easy

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    I would agree with almost all of this...

While a good school (by reputation) will help in some regards with admittance to grad school, I was amazed at how many guys were in medical school with me that were from plain state universities or smaller schools, but had good grades...they did just as well and owed a LOT less money.
    100%. On the other hand, if you're not sure you want to go to grad school, going to a school with a good alumni network is more important, since you may be looking for a job straight out of college.

CNJ is about 10 minutes from me. Beautiful campus where they are spending alot of scratch updating the facilities. It's about 55 miles from NYC and 45 to Philly. Stones throw from Princeton. Nova and BC are city schools while CNJ is farmland. Depends on what kind of enviroment you prefer?? It's one of the top destinations for Jersey kids who don't want to venture out of state for college. CNJ is D3 in all sports I believe. Decent football. They match up with Rowan/Montclair State.

All League
    Wow... I am glad I am getting all this feedback, it is great.

Hall Of Fame
    A lot should depend on how much disposable money you have and the kind of student you are. If BC and Nova are going to put you or your folks in debt I wouldn't do it. Are you a serious student? If not, don't bother with private schools. A few guys on this board, myself included, ended up wasting our parents money because we were busy partying. I was lucky to graduate. Most of my friends were not as fortunate. I'd go to the Jersey school and, after graduating, buy a Benz with the money I saved. Then I'd cruise the Nova parking lot to pick up coeds.

All League
    Bongo Hit it on the head.....You're gonna need a graduate degree to compete in most fields. So if "The College of New Jersey" is most affordable, and you're not leaving money on the table @ either B.C. or Nova, then TCNJ is the way to go.....

I went to Temple, and I can tell you straight out, it takes a "Special Type of Azzhole" to make it at Nova. Nova is literally where all the rich "Main-Line" kids who couldn't get into UPenn go. If you fits this bill, you'll fit right end.

B.C. is a solid school, and is part of (What's known in the corporate world)the "Jesuit Mafia". Typicall B.C./Marquette/St. Joes/Fordham grads stick together. You'll get what you pay for at B.C.

As far as San Diego State is concerned. The University of San Diego (USD) is a better option than San Diego State (SDSU). USD has a great reputation in Socal, and is in Mission Valley. If I could do it all over again, I would've picked USD or Arizona State (You talk about a school w/ primo tail).
    Last edited by TerryBadway; 04-07-2005 at 04:31 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryBadway
    B.C. is a solid school, and is part of (What's known in the corporate world)the "Jesuit Mafia". Typicall B.C./Marquette/St. Joes/Fordham grads stick together. You'll get what you pay for at B.C.
    It's funny you say that... I heard the same thing from my guidance counselour but not as straightforward as you put it. How much of a big deal do you think that makes?

Hall Of Fame
    It's funny you say that... I heard the same thing from my guidance counselour but not as straightforward as you put it. How much of a big deal do you think that makes?
    Depends on A) what you want to do and B) how well you do at the school. If you're the valedictorian, it won't matter. If you've got straight Cs, it won't matter. But if you and a non-BC person with comparable grades etc. are applying for a job where a BC grad gets to make the decision? It'll matter.

So tell us, Bullitt - what do you want to do?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Depends on A) what you want to do and B) how well you do at the school. If you're the valedictorian, it won't matter. If you've got straight Cs, it won't matter. But if you and a non-BC person with comparable grades etc. are applying for a job where a BC grad gets to make the decision? It'll matter.

So tell us, Bullitt - what do you want to do?
    Well, I got into the honors program at TCNJ as well as a $5000 a year scholarship and a laptop. That is what makes the decision really hard. I also like it there alot but what worries me is the name. I don't want to choose a school based on the name, but I like Boston College very much too.

All League
    I'm from NJ and alot of my friends from HS went to TCNJ. Now I'm a junior at Boston U. If I were you I would go to BC. It has a great campus, my best friend goes there so I go up there every so often, never had any problems finding parties. Plus the football games and tailgating are awesome. Boston (besides the Pats and Sox lovers) is a great town with TONS of college kids plus you would be surprised how many people from NY and NJ go to school up here. It seems like half of my school does. I think BC academically is looked at better than the other two. I kind of slacked off during application time and didnt realize you had to take all those SAT II's or I definately would have applied there. Also supposedly they hand out a lot of money in Fin aid every year.