Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: What would you do?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you do?

A few weeks ago I realized I was passing by a mosque on the way from my office to Penn. No problem - I periodically peeked in since it was a storefront and the windows weren't covered. Late last week, I noticed they setup a table outside on the sidewalk with books and movies and stuff. Out of curiosity, I looked over while walking by and I see ...wtf? Looks like a DVD with a cover that has what looks like Pat Robertson on the front, standing in front of an American flag, both engulfed in flames. :eek:

SO I think - nah, I must be mistaken. This past MOnday I pass by and there is a DVD with a cover that says "War Against the West". Whoops - thats not good. 4 years ago I would have thought "Whatever dude"; now, definitely not.

Its in midtown if anyone cares to do a walk-by. I'm thinking I should be making a call....
    Last edited by quantum; 04-21-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum]A few weeks ago I eralized I was passing by a mosque on the way from my office to Penn. No problem - I periodically peeked in since it was a storefront and the windows weren't covered. Late last week, I noticed they setup a table outside on the sidewalk with books and movies and stuff. Out of curiosity, I looked over while walking by and I see ...wtf? Looks like a DVD with a cover that has what looks like Pat Robertson on the front, standing in front of an American flag, both engulfed in flames. :eek:

SO I think - nah, I must be mistaken. This past MOnday I pass by and there is a DVD with a cover that says "War Against the West". Whoops - thats not good. 4 years ago I would have thought "Whatever dude"; now, definitely not.

Its in midtown if anyone cares to do a walk-by. I'm thinking I should be making a call....[/QUOTE]

Feign interest in their products, ask them questions about them and their mission, and then decide once you have done adequate research. Presently, you simply lack enough information to do anyhting.

TMahoney
    Freedom of speech and opinion. Aint it a ***** :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CarlSpackler]Freedom of speech and opinion. Aint it a ***** :)[/QUOTE]

Not to pick a fight, but what exactly do you mean?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum]A few weeks ago I eralized I was passing by a mosque on the way from my office to Penn. No problem - I periodically peeked in since it was a storefront and the windows weren't covered. Late last week, I noticed they setup a table outside on the sidewalk with books and movies and stuff. Out of curiosity, I looked over while walking by and I see ...wtf? Looks like a DVD with a cover that has what looks like Pat Robertson on the front, standing in front of an American flag, both engulfed in flames. :eek:

Its in midtown if anyone cares to do a walk-by. I'm thinking I should be making a call....[/QUOTE]

Well, you know... freedom of speech and no censorship and all. I think it's fine, actually. It gives us a more obvious reason to be closely watching that "house of worship." Reminds me of last nights episode of The Shield. lol

TMahoney
    I'm just being fecitious about this guys right to sell/promote/encourage the war against us from within our own country. It is his right, and yes it is annoying for most normal people, but nevertheless it should stay his right.

Just think if I went over to Iran and started condemning them from within their own borders in front of a Catholic Church calling for an "american crusade" or something along those lines.

I wouldn't last too long.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems pretty simple to me......

Report what you saw to the proper authorities if you believe they may have ulterior motives or possible terroristic activities.

It is the job of the authorities to investigate and determine if a threat exists. It is not your job, nor are you likely qualified to determine such.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CarlSpackler]I'm just being fecitious about this guys right to sell/promote/encourage the war against us from within our own country. It is his right, and yes it is annoying for most normal people, but nevertheless it should stay his right.

Just think if I went over to Iran and started condemning them from within their own borders in front of a Catholic Church calling for an "american crusade" or something along those lines.

I wouldn't last too long.[/QUOTE]

Encouraging war or violence against the US government is not protected under free speech laws, though. Nor should it be. Try publicly threatening George Bush's life and see what happens.

Obviously, we don't have nearly enough information to see what this "speech" actually entails, but not all speech is protected. You cannot slander someone, you cannot threaten them, and you cannot advocate war against the US government.

TMahoney
    [QUOTE]Encouraging war or violence against the US government is not protected under free speech laws, though. Nor should it be. Try publicly threatening George Bush's life and see what happens.

Obviously, we don't have nearly enough information to see what this "speech" actually entails, but not all speech is protected. You cannot slander someone, you cannot threaten them, and you cannot advocate war against the US government.[/QUOTE]

yea and you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre.

But lets be honest, the three instances you named have to be clarified. You can't do any of that on any media outlets but if I'm walking down the street with my buddy and I say, "Hey man, I want to kill president bush because hes sending our youth to die." and a cop overheard me, he wouldn't be in the right to arrest me.

Similarly, I can say "I will kill you B*tch" to someone in the street and not be arrested.

And the slander thing, thats more for celebrities or people who were wrongly accused of a crime and the affects still hurt them. But I can spread rumors around freely even if i know full well that they're false.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CarlSpackler]yea and you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre.

But lets be honest, the three instances you named have to be clarified. You can't do any of that on any media outlets but if I'm walking down the street with my buddy and I say, "Hey man, I want to kill president bush because hes sending our youth to die." and a cop overheard me, he wouldn't be in the right to arrest me.

Similarly, I can say "I will kill you B*tch" to someone in the street and not be arrested.

And the slander thing, thats more for celebrities or people who were wrongly accused of a crime and the affects still hurt them. But I can spread rumors around freely even if i know full well that they're false.[/QUOTE]

Of course things have to be clarified. But if you express a desire to kill or use violence against Bush, technically, that is a crime.

No, legally, you cannot spread rumors around freely if you know they are false. For example, you cannot call someone a rapist if they are not. But it depends on whether or not someone wishes to press charges, etc.

But, people techincally cannot drive 66 MPH on a highway, yet everyone does and people are rarely ticketed for driving 66 MPH.

Saying things to your buddies is one thing. Your general point is right and the laws are not strictly enforced and temperence and sober judgment usually rules the day. Kidding around is one thing. The laws don't mean that people can put you away if you run your mouth off when drunk, or something. However, if you were selling DVDs that were titled, 'Why I want to Kill President Bush" it would be a bit different. If you were selling DVDs that were titled, "Jets5ever is a rapist" it would be different. That's all I am saying.
    Last edited by jets5ever; 04-20-2005 at 06:00 PM.

TMahoney
    [QUOTE]If you were selling DVDs that were titled, "Jets5ever is a rapist" it would be different. That's all I am saying.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I better close up shop then, I could be arrested! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]Well, you know... freedom of speech and no censorship and all. I think it's fine, actually. It gives us a more obvious reason to be closely watching that "house of worship." Reminds me of last nights episode of The Shield. lol[/QUOTE]

I'm not even sure its tied to the mosque: the guy shows up around 4:30-4:40pm every day with a van and folding card table. He maybe looking for business from the mosque.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Seems pretty simple to me......

Report what you saw to the proper authorities if you believe they may have ulterior motives or possible terroristic activities.

It is the job of the authorities to investigate and determine if a threat exists. It is not your job, nor are you likely qualified to determine such.[/QUOTE]

Just what I was thinking - guess I wanted a sanity check that I wasn't overreacting.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You wouldn't be overreacting if you reported what you saw to the proper authorities.

Chances are they already know about this guy, but that is an assumption that may not be correct, so you would be doing your civic duty by alerting them to him.

Not all speech is protected by the First Amndmt, but you arent reporting this to the censorship bureau- this is about promoting the violent overthrow of the US govt.