Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Ever Support A Third/Alternate Party??

Would You Ever Support A Third/Alternate Party??

If it's platform of positions was closer to your own views than that of the two major parties?

Simple yes or no answer. Explainations welcome too.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I voted for a third party candidate in the 1996 Presidential election for purposes of potential increased legitiamacy for that party and competition in the political spectrum.
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-26-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes. I voted for Buchanon in 2000 when he ran with the Reform Party. I have also voted for Libertarians at the local level and am open to voting for them nationally.

But, in the spirit of full disclosure, I mainly vote Republican, though I tend not to vote at all if I know nothing about the candidates.

Also, for full disclosure - I gave money to Howard Dean's campaign as sort of a joke this last time, but the overwhelming majority of my contributions go to the GOP, including funds to Reagan's Ranch, Mitt Romney's campaign, Bush/Cheney and Pat Toomey's failed primary challenge to Arlen Specter.

I have also given money each and every time since I moved to MA to whoever the opponents of Teddy Kennedy and John Kerry happen to be.

The mayor of Boston, Tom Menino, is a Democrat but I don't contribute to his opponents because he's actually been a pretty effective mayor IMO.
    Last edited by jets5ever; 04-26-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I voted for Perot so his party would get funding; then he turned out to be a little whacked. :(

I support the candidate that best matches up with my views as it is. I really don't care what party he/she belongs to. So... yes.

Q: Would you ever support a Third/Alternate Party?

A: Only if you are starting it, Warfish :yes:

TMahoney
    Yes, I believe the two party system is killing America. The people need to form a third party if just only to keep the other 2 in check.

Are you kidding? If any of the 3rd party candidates had a chance in November I would have voted for them, I dont think anyone actually liked John Kerry, it just came down to Bush MUST get out of office and John Kerry was the best chance, unfortunatley power and money overides everything and Bush and his rich Republican friends ensured another 4 years(as well as the first 4) by rigging the election, oh well, maybe someone can save us from Bush like we are supposedly saving the Iraqis from Saddam Hussein...

[QUOTE=bitonti]Q: Would you ever support a Third/Alternate Party?

A: Only if you are starting it, Warfish :yes:[/QUOTE]

Well thanks Bit! I HAVE actually thought about it...but where the hell does one start with such a thing? And I'm just not the "super-motivated-type" to handle the HUGE effort such a thing would require. Nor am I nearly attractive or charismatic enough to win most folks over, LOL!!!

But man, the idea of starting a new party, one dedicated to what I think are some real "common sense" positions on the issues of today....that sure IS a cool idea.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I voted for a third party candidate in the 1996 Presidential election for purposes of potential increased legitiamacy for that party and competition in the political spectrum.[/QUOTE]

I voted the same way CBTNY did in 96, as we discussed here previously.

[QUOTE=Warfish]Well thanks Bit! I HAVE actually thought about it...but where the hell does one start with such a thing? And I'm just not the "super-motivated-type" to handle the HUGE effort such a thing would require. Nor am I nearly attractive or charismatic enough to win most folks over, LOL!!!

But man, the idea of starting a new party, one dedicated to what I think are some real "common sense" positions on the issues of today....that sure IS a cool idea.[/QUOTE]

we should build a party platform via thread - the combined efforts of like minded individuals could bear forth a manifesto

as with any the devil is in the details, and compromise would have to be commonplace.

re-makes are in, i think if someone could come up with a platform that made sense, had money and ran Rudy Guiliani or some such high charisma person calling it the new Bull Moose they could have an outside chance at the office, just like Teddy did.

[QUOTE=JetsMetsIsles]Are you kidding? If any of the 3rd party candidates had a chance in November I would have voted for them, I dont think anyone actually liked John Kerry, it just came down to Bush MUST get out of office and John Kerry was the best chance, unfortunatley power and money overides everything and Bush and his rich Republican friends ensured another 4 years(as well as the first 4) by rigging the election, oh well, maybe someone can save us from Bush like we are supposedly saving the Iraqis from Saddam Hussein...[/QUOTE]

Yet another post that leaves me scratching my head... and then shaking my head. It must be really tough on you to actually think you're living in the horrible world you've created in your head.

[QUOTE=bitonti]we should build a party platform via thread - the combined efforts of like minded individuals could bear forth a manifesto

as with any the devil is in the details, and compromise would have to be commonplace.

re-makes are in, i think if someone could come up with a platform that made sense, had money and ran Rudy Guiliani or some such high charisma person calling it the new Bull Moose they could have an outside chance at the office, just like Teddy did.[/QUOTE]

Can one of the platforms be that the Jets ALWAYS get the first overall draft pick?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]Yet another post that leaves me scratching my head... and then shaking my head. It must be really tough on you to actually think you're living in the horrible world you've created in your head.[/QUOTE]

why does it leave you scratching/shaking your head?? what were you expecting?

I find it more then ironic that the closed minded conservatives on this board have stated in this thread they have in fact voted for a third party candidate in the past- have not read any libs admitting the same....

[QUOTE]Can one of the platforms be that the Jets ALWAYS get the first overall draft pick?[/QUOTE]

Actually I prefer the 32nd by cause....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]why does it leave you scratching/shaking your head?? what were you expecting?

I find it more then ironic that the closed minded conservatives on this board have stated in this thread they have in fact voted for a third party candidate in the past- have not read any libs admitting the same....
    [/QUOTE]

It leaves me scratching my head because I honestly can't understand how someone's views can get THAT blown out of proportion. I just don't understand how that opinion could be developed. What information was he given that would help him formulate what he's said? THAT'S why I scratch my head. And... by the way... God help us (that's right... I said God) if he's right. lol

I think most of the people that have admitted to voting or at least considering third party candidates have been people closer to the center than either extreme. I think that's absolutely normal.

All League
    I supported Perot while I was too young to vote. Then in my first election I voted for Dole, then Gore, then Kerry. 4 for 4!

Go Libretarians, they can be the new Perot! (ie take enough votes away from Republicans)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]
    I think most of the people that have admitted to voting or at least considering third party candidates have been people closer to the center than either extreme. I think that's absolutely normal.[/QUOTE]

No- I think it's something I've always posted here- the rats put party before country. And this quote is proof positive:

[QUOTE]Go Libretarians, they can be the new Perot! (ie take enough votes away from Republicans)[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-27-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yes - I would.

I vote Republican, but in November '04 I said to anyone who would listen that if there was a third candidate (no - not Nader) who was strong on Immigration and on reining in bloated Fed spending, he/she would probably have gotten my vote, no matter the Party Designation.

[QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]It leaves me scratching my head because I honestly can't understand how someone's views can get THAT blown out of proportion. I just don't understand how that opinion could be developed. What information was he given that would help him formulate what he's said? THAT'S why I scratch my head. And... by the way... God help us (that's right... I said God) if he's right. lol

I think most of the people that have admitted to voting or at least considering third party candidates have been people closer to the center than either extreme. I think that's absolutely normal.[/QUOTE]

You are just in denial, you must be a Bush voter, I am correct on just about everything I say, I am one of the smartest people in the world, and there is no such thing as god, that is just a voice in your head....

TMahoney
    I am lovin what I'm seeing. Look, all of us who have bickered in the past can come together and atleast identify the need for a third party. We've had the same parties for too long now and they have become weak and decadent. Surely if a legitimate third party arose, it would garner serious reform/change among the other two parties.

I like Bitonti's idea with a manifesto.

To start it off, heres some of my basic beliefs:

1. Campaign Finance Reform - we have to start he first or there will be no way a third party could be elected. All candidates should have a cap that they can spend on each election. There is no way that a regular person nowadays can just decide to join politics and help make things better without whoring themselves out to either party and bending over to special interest groups to get elected. This needs to change.

2. I believe in as little government as possible in daily life. I don't like the patriot act, it would be smart if we were in all-out-war like a world war but not in a war against terrorism. Intelligence is key, but a system without checks and balances, which the patriot act essentially is, will only end up hurting America long term. They can spy on you and keep it secret for a long time and then call you a terrorist and throw a lot of your rights out of the window. Now if you are a terrorist, yes this seems fair, but you have to look at this from a Constitutional perspective. So many have died for our individual rights and now we're going to give the government the keys to the safe and just expect them not to steal anything.

2b. Individual rights. I'm not going to sidetrack on the patriot act on this one. There is no need for the government to be protecting the "American Family" and the "moral highgrounds of most Americans." Furthermore, the outlaw of drugs and prostitution only make those industries more violent, more lucrative and more dangerous than if it were legal and being run citizens with a system of rules and guidelines to be followed. Now this is quite controversial and I'm not going to sit and here tell you that its right or even feasible, but its an option that should be looked at considering todays world.