Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dems Mark 1 Year Anniversary Of Abu Ghraib

Dems Mark 1 Year Anniversary Of Abu Ghraib

This from Fat Teddy Backstroke:

[url]http://drudgereport.com/matttd.htm[/url]

Yet NO mention of an anniversary honoring real American heroes.

[url]http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Apr2005/20050425_746.html[/url]

hey how about the 2 year anniversary of May 1 2003:

[QUOTE]"My fellow Americans, major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.takebackthemedia.com/images/bushlies.jpg[/IMG]

To be fair Bit, that statement was accurate. Major Combat Operations against the NATION OF IRAQ were indeed over and done.

When I hear the phrase "Major Combat Operations" I think WAR. We are not (and havn;t been) at "War" for some time. What we are (like it or not) is a really big, really well-equipped POLICE force now. We aren't fighting a war Iraq, we're trying (failing at times) to keep the peace.

Yes, it looks and sounds bad, all considered, but it isn't really inaccurate.

Of course, I don't think too many folks are "celebrating" the 1 yr ann. of Abu Graib. I've heard Rush say that Liberals LOVE what happened, and I just don't buy it. America looking bad (right or wrong) makes ALL of us look bad.

[QUOTE=Warfish]To be fair Bit, that statement was accurate. Major Combat Operations against the NATION OF IRAQ were indeed over and done.
    [/QUOTE]

ok well what about that 150 foot banner behind his head?

[QUOTE=bitonti]ok well what about that 150 foot banner behind his head?[/QUOTE]

Again, it references the War vs. the NATION of Iraq, and against Saddam Hussain. Not the After-War Police Action and Massive Rebuilding/Nation Building Project. That would be a DIFFERENT mission.

I agree it looks bad Bit, but it isn't the huge deal some try to make it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]ok well what about that 150 foot banner behind his head?[/QUOTE]

Bitonti - that banner was for the carrier that was returning home after almost 1.5 years in service supporting both operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. Their mission [I]was [/I] accomplished.

Yes, marketing has a lot to do with the message, no doubt. So does improving morale of the nation and of the armed forces, something this country has done in every war it has ever fought. But anti-Bush opponents have siezed upon this as if Bush implied that everything was going to be finished and peaceful going forward, which was not his message at all - far from it. In fact, if you actually take the time to read the ENTIRE transcript of his speech that day, you will see many references to the tough task ahead, and the fact that there was still much work and fighting to be done. But at that point, the mission of that carrier was completed, and the US had toppled Saddam and siezed Baghdad. It was a turning point in the war from invasion to occupation, reconstruction and security, etc. The war against Saddam has several phases, the first one was to invade and drive him out of power - that mission was accomplished when Bush spoke that day. Additionally, Bush has consistently stated since Day One of the war on terror that it will be a long, tough, fight.

Don't let those inconvenient truths ruin your talking points though....

Hugs 'n' Kisses,

5ever
    Last edited by jets5ever; 04-27-2005 at 03:03 PM.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Bitonti - that banner was for the carrier that was returning home after almost 1.5 years in service supporting both operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. Their mission [I]was [/I] accomplished.

Yes, marketing has a lot to do with the message, no doubt. So does improving morale of the nation and of the armed forces, something this country has done in every war it has ever fought. But anti-Bush opponents have siezed upon this as if Bush implied that everything was going to be finished and peaceful going forward, which was not his message at all - far from it. In fact, if you actually take the time to read the ENTIRE transcript of his speech that day, you will see many references to the tough task ahead, and the fact that there was still much work and fighting to be done. But at that point, the mission of that carrier was completed, and the US had toppled Saddam and siezed Baghdad. It was a turning point in the war from invasion to occupation, reconstruction and security, etc. The war against Saddam has several phases, the first one was to invade and drive him out of power - that mission was accomplished when Bush spoke that day. Additionally, Bush has consistently stated since Day One of the war on terror that it will be a long, tough, fight.

Don't let those inconvenient truths ruin your talking points though....

Hugs 'n' Kisses,

5ever[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that banner was hung to say that combat operations in Iraq were over... not the carrier's mission. Those were Bush's words, not Bit's.

Hall Of Fame
    If he said that, he didn't say it during his speech that day. I honestly don't remember him saying that...

Here is a link to the full transcript of his speech from aboard the USS AL.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/05/01/bush.transcript/index.html[/url]

[QUOTE=Warfish]Again, it references the War vs. the NATION of Iraq, and against Saddam Hussain. Not the After-War Police Action and Massive Rebuilding/Nation Building Project. That would be a DIFFERENT mission.

I agree it looks bad Bit, but it isn't the huge deal some try to make it.[/QUOTE]

according 5ever - you are wrong!

that banner actually only referenced that 1 carrier!!

:yes: :D

[QUOTE=jets5ever]If he said that, he didn't say it during his speech that day. I honestly don't remember him saying that...

Here is a link to the full transcript of his speech from aboard the USS AL.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/05/01/bush.transcript/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

"Thank you. Thank you all very much. Admiral Kelly, Captain Card, officers and sailors of the USS Abraham Lincoln, my fellow Americans, major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]according 5ever - you are wrong!

that banner actually only referenced that 1 carrier!!

:yes: :D[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should have been clearer, I apologize. Both "missions" were reflected in that banner. But to dismiss the USS AL issue is to mislead, IMO.

[QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]"major combat operations in Iraq have ended."[/QUOTE]

yeah this statement in and of itself was completely false as evidenced by the fact that the majority of US deaths came AFTER this speech. not only that but we still have 150,000+ troops in the area and GI's dying regularly - how can major combat operations be over?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]"Thank you. Thank you all very much. Admiral Kelly, Captain Card, officers and sailors of the USS Abraham Lincoln, my fellow Americans, major combat operations in Iraq have ended."[/QUOTE]

"Our mission continues."

"After service in the Afghan and Iraqi theaters of war, after 100,000 miles on the longest carrier deployment in recent history, you are homeward bound."

Like I said, marketing is involved. But my main point is that Bush in no way implied that things were all rosy in Iraq now or that our work was finished, etc. That is an intentional distortion of what he said....
    Last edited by jets5ever; 04-27-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]yeah this statement in and of itself was completely false as evidenced by the fact that the majority of US deaths came AFTER this speech. not only that but we still have 150,000+ troops in the area and GI's dying regularly - how can major combat operations be over?[/QUOTE]

Does major = all? If not, it's pretty self-explanatory.

[QUOTE=bitonti]yeah this statement in and of itself was completely false as evidenced by the fact that the majority of US deaths came AFTER this speech. not only that but we still have 150,000+ troops in the area and GI's dying regularly - how can major combat operations be over?[/QUOTE]

How many police officers do we have in America? How many National Guardsmen?

And how many Cops are killed per year?

Would you say Major Combat Operations (i.e. War) is ongoing here in the USA too?

The "mission" from what I remember was to remove Saddam Hussein from power. That mission WAS accomplished. That is not to say that a lot more work wasn't necessary to get Iraq on its feet and functioning on its own. Afterall, isn't that what we did in Afghanistan the FIRST time we were there? We just left them high and dry? We aren't about to make that mistake twice so we're staying there until Iraq's total independence is realized. I think Bush was as upfront as anyone could be by telling us that. I don't think he misled anyone by saying "mission accomplished." It was only the liberals that made an issue of it to make Bush look bad.

[QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]The "mission" from what I remember was to remove Saddam Hussein from power. That mission WAS accomplished. That is not to say that a lot more work wasn't necessary to get Iraq on its feet and functioning on its own. Afterall, isn't that what we did in Afghanistan the FIRST time we were there? We just left them high and dry? We aren't about to make that mistake twice so we're staying there until Iraq's total independence is realized. I think Bush was as upfront as anyone could be by telling us that. I don't think he misled anyone by saying "mission accomplished." It was only the liberals that made an issue of it to make Bush look bad.[/QUOTE]

ERRRRR Incorrect my blind republican friend, the mission was to rid Iraq of Weapons of Mass Destruction, it is to bad Saddam already did that job for us....

And Bush wasnt up front or misled anyone with the Mission Accomplished, the fact of the matter is he doesnt care, he doesnt care about the 3,000 who died on 9/11 he doesnt care about the 1600+ americans who died in Iraq and the thosuands of innocent Iraquis who died there, he only cares about his Jesus and his billions of dollars, he is the Osama Bin Laden of the west except Allah talks to Osama not Jesus...

[QUOTE=JetsMetsIsles]ERRRRR Incorrect my blind republican friend, the mission was to rid Iraq of Weapons of Mass Destruction, it is to bad Saddam already did that job for us....
    [/QUOTE]

Firstly, I'm not Republican.
    Secondly, are you admitting that there actually WERE WMDs in Iraq?!?!?!?!

[QUOTE=Warfish]How many police officers do we have in America? How many National Guardsmen?

And how many Cops are killed per year?

Would you say Major Combat Operations (i.e. War) is ongoing here in the USA too?[/QUOTE]

so because cops get killed we aren't at war in iraq? i don't understand your point.

[QUOTE=bitonti]so because cops get killed we aren't at war in iraq? i don't understand your point.[/QUOTE]

My point was that Iraq is not a War bit, and you know it. It is a Nation Building Police Action. Having a certain number of soldiers someplace, or a certain number of deaths does not constitute a "War". War is what it is, and Iraq TODAY is not a War.

Say it with me:

N..A..T..I..O..N....B..U..I..L..D..I..N..G....P..O..L..I..C..E....A..C..T..I..O..N