Thread: Texas School Board OKs Bible Class

JetsInsider.com Legend

Texas School Board OKs Bible Class

[QUOTE][B][U][SIZE=4]Texas School Board OKs Bible Class[/SIZE][/U][/B]

From FOXNews.com

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

[U]ODESSA, Texas [/U] The school board in Odessa, Texas, voted unanimously to add a Bible class to its high school curriculum.

Hundreds of people, most of them supporters of the proposal, packed the board meeting Tuesday night. More than 6,000 area residents had signed a petition supporting the class.

Some residents, however, said the school board acted too quickly. Others said they feared a national constitutional fight.

Barring any hurdles, the class should be added to the curriculum in fall 2006 and taught as a history or literature course. The school board still must develop a curriculum, which board member Floy Hinson said should be open for public review.

The board had heard a presentation in March from Mike Johnson, a representative of the Greensboro, N.C.-based National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools, who said that coursework designed by that organization is not about proselytizing or preaching.

But People for the American Way and the American Civil Liberties union have criticized the council, saying its materials promote religion.

Johnson said students in the elective class would learn such things as the geography of the Middle East and the influence of the Bible on history and culture.

"How can students understand Leonardo da Vinci's `Last Supper' or Handel's `Messiah' if they don't understand the reference from which they came?" Johnson said. The group's Web site says its curriculum has received backing in 292 school districts in 35 states.

In Frankenmuth, Mich., a similar proposal led to a yearlong controversy before the school board voted in January not to offer such a course.[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[QUOTE=Warfish]Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I find it funny that there can be classes in religious education across this country for every religion BUT Christianity. The second you say "BIBLE" the libs are all up in arms over it. You don't have to be Christian to take a Bible class and learn about what you don't understand. A Bible class does not automatically mean that the school is creating a bunch of converts. To say it's unconstitutional is ridiculous.

Hall Of Fame
    Interesting - I wonder how the Democrats are going to reconcile their new-found passion for states' rights with this issue (and abortion, etc).

Seems to me that if people in Texas don't want this they can elect new school board members next time who will remove these classes. If they do want this, they can have it and the Feds or ACLU should butt out. Doesn't the ACLU have more Child-Molesting NAMBLA members that they can find to represent pro-bono, like the scum who abducted, raped and abused little Jeffrey Curley.

if you call it a Literature or History class I have no problem with teaching Bible in public schools. If kids have to read Odyssey or Canturbury Tales, there is no harm in letting them read another heroic epic.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Should it be required? Or should a parent have the right to opt out without hurting the childs academic career?

Just one more reason Texas needs to be given back to Mexico

[URL=http://www.petitiononline.com/Texas666/petition.html]Give Texas back to Mexico Petition[/URL]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=JetsMetsIsles]Just one more reason Texas needs to be given back to Mexico

[URL=Give Texas back to Mexico Petition, nothing good has ever come from there...]http://www.petitiononline.com/Texas666/petition.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Well, at the rate our leaders are allowing illegal immigration, it's won't be long till it IS a part of Mexico..... :mad:

All League
    I have no problem with a history of religion class. I took one in College on Eastern Religions and found it very interesting. I do not, however, think a high-school should be able to preach to children. If they want to discuss the Bible that is fine, although it would be more appropriate for a College class.

[QUOTE=Section109Row15]I have no problem with a history of religion class. I took one in College on Eastern Religions and found it very interesting. I do not, however, think a high-school should be able to preach to children. If they want to discuss the Bible that is fine, although it would be more appropriate for a College class.[/QUOTE]

I agree, except that I remember there being a push for teaching the Koran in high schools post 9/11 under the premise that it was a religious tolerance type class. Does anyone remember that as well? I don't know what ever became of it, though.