Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Knicks to trade Kurt Thomas to Phoenix for Quentin Richardson

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    I'm not a Kurt Thomas fan, but you have to think many more moves will be made, especially if they rid themselves of Houston. The only problem with that is Isiah is the worst GM since Layden in the NBA.
    You're an idiot.

How the hell is Thomas a bad GM? He inherited Layden's mess???

What bad moves has he made?

This is a GREAT trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont ever recall Quentin Richardson playing for the Bulls. Only the Clips and Suns. This trade will only work out if we release H20 and draft a big man though. I think Malik Rose is a Kurt Thomas like player and so is JYD. We need a big man with the 2 picks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19
    You're an idiot.

How the hell is Thomas a bad GM? He inherited Layden's mess???

What bad moves has he made?

This is a GREAT trade.
    LOL...
    first off I didn't comment positively or negatively on the trade...secondly yes he inherited Layden's mess, and made it messier...third, the idiot part, LMAO...jackass

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The knicks are never gonna get better while jim dolan is the owner. I hope cablevision falls apart and start selling off its assets...hopefully spike lee can get a group of native new yorkers to buy the knicks from that c*cks*cker from cleveland dolan.
    Last edited by Mattay; 06-23-2005 at 02:53 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The article in the espn insider has the trade with the knicks getting the conditional 1st rd pick not the suns....this makes it a little better trade.

However the title of the article says the opposite. kinda confusing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2093093
    Last edited by Mattay; 06-23-2005 at 02:52 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar
    Nope. I don't agree. Kurt Thomas was their best inside presence defensively, but definitely not offensively. Knicks need an inside force that will stay offensive in the paint and get better movement offensively. Knicks were too often a perimeter offense that didn't have good offensive rebounding. Kurt's a strong player who will help Phoenix, and Q-Rich and Marbury can both play inside/out and take advantages of mismatches better. Q is young (25) and talented, he can be a star with us. I can see the Marbury/Richardson team being a very good combo. Allows Jamal Crawford to backup both guard spots and give us more valuable minutes as the energizer bunny (clutch drives/3 pt. shots and quick hands on the defense (press defense) off the bench. This frees up more time for JYD too, he can play good d.

Future 1st rounder will be protected, and maybe in 3 years when we're already competing for a championship....as long as we also draft Andrew Bynum at the #8 spot. In 2-3 years, Knicks are back in contention.
    ummm I wasn't saying Kurt Thomas was GOOD inside, I just said he was the best the Knicks had.

WHO IS BETTER? Mike Sweetney?

Come on....

and getting another shooter is just ridiculous. Knicks need a solid center, a power forward, and some depth. Instead they are trading to get another shooter.

Houston (if he were to stay), Marbury, Crawford, and Richardson

And for the people that think Isiah is a good GM need to get their mental state checked. He has made some of the most questionable trades I have ever seen and this past one with sending Nazir to the Spurs was UNBELIEVABLE.

Forgetting the players involved, the Knicks ADDED CAP. ADDED CAP to one that was already maxed out for years. Luckily this new bargaining agreement will help them a bit.

What the Knicks should do is wait for all of the bloated contracts they have with players that haven't earned them (Houston, Hardaway for example) to expire and then draft smart and sign good young free agents. Instead Isiah makes 1000 trades for quick fixes that never work.

Notice the last four teams in the playoffs. All of them built their teams correctly and when they made trades, they were smart trades (Like the Pistons did for Rasheed last year). The exception is the Heat, and they were building like that until they traded for Shaq for more of a short-term situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just dont get the Knicks sometimes. I cant say this is a bad trade, but its not a good trade either. It just seems like making a trade for the sake of making a trade. What this does is give them an ok outside 3 point threat. It takes away what little interior defense they had an takes away their only good mid range shot option. Right now I swear the Knicks are simply loading up with a bunch of role players that would be great if they were a good team. There seems to be some confusion as to who gets the 1st rounder. I would think the Suns get it, which would probably make this a bit in the Suns favor(who have basically just fleeced the Knicks on the last two deals). Crawford, Marbury, and Q is going to be downright ugly sometimes, and pretty fun to watch at others....and for anyone saying Thomas has done a good job I think thats crazy. All he has done is interchange Laydens bad parts for other bad parts. Who exactly has he brought in thats been good? Marbury stinks and you will be losing one more draft choice for him I believe. Is Crawford a big upgrade? Tim Thomas? Penny Hardaway? Malik Rose? Its an awful team that is in the same position it was with Laydens lousy players on the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JetKoz
    sounds like another horrible Knicks trade
    giving up their best inside presence (which isn't saying too much)
    and a 1st rounder

for yet ANOTHER shooting guard/forward

why do they even bother anymore?
    I couldnt agree more....Kurt Thomas plays defense, rebounds, etc....Q is just another streaky shooter, who cant handle the ball, and doenst play D.....how many swingmen can you play at one time, especially when your PF is only 6'8.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj
    I couldnt agree more....Kurt Thomas plays defense, rebounds, etc....Q is just another streaky shooter, who cant handle the ball, and doenst play D.....how many swingmen can you play at one time, especially when your PF is only 6'8.....

wrong....houston is washed up and richardson plays inside and out. he's a SF, and a huge upgrade over tim thomas and he can play 2 guard when crawford or marbury are at point. he made a living on the low block at depaul. he can rebound, post up and play defense. kurt thomas is getting old, mike sweetney has a bright future, if they can't trade tim thomas he'll see more time at the 4, and they're drafting Channing Frye on Tuesday. It's a good trade. It's just an upgrade in talent no matter where you can get it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    I just dont get the Knicks sometimes. I cant say this is a bad trade, but its not a good trade either. It just seems like making a trade for the sake of making a trade. What this does is give them an ok outside 3 point threat. It takes away what little interior defense they had an takes away their only good mid range shot option. Right now I swear the Knicks are simply loading up with a bunch of role players that would be great if they were a good team. There seems to be some confusion as to who gets the 1st rounder. I would think the Suns get it, which would probably make this a bit in the Suns favor(who have basically just fleeced the Knicks on the last two deals). Crawford, Marbury, and Q is going to be downright ugly sometimes, and pretty fun to watch at others....and for anyone saying Thomas has done a good job I think thats crazy. All he has done is interchange Laydens bad parts for other bad parts. Who exactly has he brought in thats been good? Marbury stinks and you will be losing one more draft choice for him I believe. Is Crawford a big upgrade? Tim Thomas? Penny Hardaway? Malik Rose? Its an awful team that is in the same position it was with Laydens lousy players on the roster.

Typical Chris Russo type of response.

That blowhard was yucking up the airwaves today. The guy has a vendetta against Isiah Thomas.

WHY THE HELL does this trade mean the Knicks are ignoring their biggest need, a big man?

It's a part of the process.

The CBA came out, Houston will be gone, saving the team 40 million and opening up cap space.

The Knicks have been hunting for an athletic shooter while working out draftees, they want an athletic backcourt, and Richardson provides outstanding athleticism and can also shoot the hell out of the ball.

This move removes Kurt Thomas, an aging and athletically limited player who started to become a bit of a cancer with all of his moaning and groaning. I was done seeing Kurt hang out 15 feet from the hoop to take his jump shot. Post up, or crash the boards...

This move now allows the Knicks to make more moves, they are obviously going to be hunting for a big man, could make another move before the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like

pretty good trade for the Knicks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKoz
    ummm I wasn't saying Kurt Thomas was GOOD inside, I just said he was the best the Knicks had.

WHO IS BETTER? Mike Sweetney?

Come on....

and getting another shooter is just ridiculous. Knicks need a solid center, a power forward, and some depth. Instead they are trading to get another shooter.

Houston (if he were to stay), Marbury, Crawford, and Richardson

And for the people that think Isiah is a good GM need to get their mental state checked. He has made some of the most questionable trades I have ever seen and this past one with sending Nazir to the Spurs was UNBELIEVABLE.

Forgetting the players involved, the Knicks ADDED CAP. ADDED CAP to one that was already maxed out for years. Luckily this new bargaining agreement will help them a bit.

What the Knicks should do is wait for all of the bloated contracts they have with players that haven't earned them (Houston, Hardaway for example) to expire and then draft smart and sign good young free agents. Instead Isiah makes 1000 trades for quick fixes that never work.

Notice the last four teams in the playoffs. All of them built their teams correctly and when they made trades, they were smart trades (Like the Pistons did for Rasheed last year). The exception is the Heat, and they were building like that until they traded for Shaq for more of a short-term situation.

Actually, I like Sweetney, alot!! Sweetney has a low post game, Thomas doesn't. I like Thomas, but the Knicks badly need a low post player and let's face it, by the time the Knicks turn this around, Kurt will be close to retiring. The next couple of years the East most likely is going to be the Heat's conference to lose. So until Shaq's play starts to diminish, it's best for Isiah to start dumping Kurt and Tim Thomas, Penny and Houston and start bringing in young players and start developing draft picks i.e. Sweetney, Trevor Arzia...So this is a good trade, especially as reported in the papers today, it looks like Houston is gone, so a shooter is needed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    jack the ripper stick to the yankees because you have no clue about basketball. q-rich is far from an one dimensional, kurt on the offensive end was a one dimensional player, houston is a one dimensional player not q-rich. richardson is atheltic, and the best rebounding and post up two guard not named kobe. as far as kurt goes i'll always love him as a player, he gave it his all, and showed up everynight but i sure he's happy h left to play for a title contender and we needed to make more playing time for sweets. so good luck kt

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

That blowhard was yucking up the airwaves today. The guy has a vendetta against Isiah Thomas.

WHY THE HELL does this trade mean the Knicks are ignoring their biggest need, a big man?

The CBA came out, Houston will be gone, saving the team 40 million and opening up cap space.

The Knicks have been hunting for an athletic shooter while working out draftees, they want an athletic backcourt, and Richardson provides outstanding athleticism and can also shoot the hell out of the ball.

This move removes Kurt Thomas, an aging and athletically limited player who started to become a bit of a cancer with all of his moaning and groaning. I was done seeing Kurt hang out 15 feet from the hoop to take his jump shot. Post up, or crash the boards...

This move now allows the Knicks to make more moves, they are obviously going to be hunting for a big man, could make another move before the draft.

-------------- Not actually true at all. According to insidehoops.com they still will be over the cap. The way it can potentially help is if they get houston to retire for medical reasons, giving them a medical exception which can get pretty big (up to 10 mill). And as far as giving up Kurt Thomas being part of the process of improving the frontcourt, i guess it is sort of correct, in that to run a team you have to give up talent for potential sometimes. However, what it doesnt do at ALL is help the Knicks in the next several years, since it hamstrings their draft even more than it already is, and they wont have free agent money for a big until 2008 i beleive. Im a Jet fan and you are provoked a lot, but your homerism gives other fans a bad name.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    my guess is that if this trade goes through, the Knicks will draft Channing Frye next Tuesday

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSFJFC
    Kurt Thomas was my favorite Knick and he always gave it his all, on both offense and defense. He was beginning to come into his own and now they trade him. What will probably happen is, he'll end up being a much better player with the Suns, just like Mahomed is with the Spurs.
    /\
    /\
    /\

truth.

and houston is definitely getting the boot. good riddance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    they are looking at frye. He would be a pretty good pick, already NBA ready. Charlie Villaneuva and Chris Taft are also both good options, but supposedly taft had a bad workout and has character problems. The trade is a pretty good trade since Q is signed for awhile, and can be a pretty dynamic swingman, and a very hard guard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar

-------------- Not actually true at all. According to insidehoops.com they still will be over the cap. The way it can potentially help is if they get houston to retire for medical reasons, giving them a medical exception which can get pretty big (up to 10 mill). And as far as giving up Kurt Thomas being part of the process of improving the frontcourt, i guess it is sort of correct, in that to run a team you have to give up talent for potential sometimes. However, what it doesnt do at ALL is help the Knicks in the next several years, since it hamstrings their draft even more than it already is, and they wont have free agent money for a big until 2008 i beleive. Im a Jet fan and you are provoked a lot, but your homerism gives other fans a bad name.
    Homerism?

Kurt Thomas is going to be 33 years old, Richardson, just 25. They will need a player to replace Houston, who will certainly be released. They have now have additional bargaining chips to do a sign and trade. Releasing Houston is a big help because it gives the Knicks more flexibility to do sign-and-trades.

The Knicks are overstocked at PF, they have Sweetney, Taylor, and now the kid Butler. They now have a legitimate replacmeent for Houston 9 years the younger, who is more athletic, who plays better defense, and gives the Knicks a real quality 3 man rotation at G in Marbuery, Crawford, and Q-Rich.

Again, to respond to this deal and cry about why didn't the Knicks get a big man, which is exactly what Russo does, is ignorant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19

What in the world does my response have to do with Chris Russo???? Obviously the response was typed long before he evn hit the air today since his show didnt come on until almost 5 PM.

Anyway, you are wrong about Houston. His coming off the cap affects the Knicks luxury tax status. it does not affect the actual salary cap status of the team. The teams cap remains the same as it was last season. I dont see how Richardson gives them an athletic "shooter". Hes not a shooter. Hes a nice option outside off the break or as a backup. You are claiming he is going to play the same role they had hoped Crawford would take up. Crawford didnt so not so why should this guy? Hes a career under 40% shooter isnt he? Thats not a great shooter. Hes a guy who plays a role for a good team, not a guy expected to be a great player to carry a team.

Im curious as to how this makes the Knicks able to make more moves? Its just a lateral deal. The draft picks they have are not great picks to deal for an actual "big man" nor are there many guys really worth going for. They had a guy with an inside presence in Thomas and Mohammed and they are both gone now. This is going to give the Knicks no inside presence at all this season. Whether the blame falls on Thomas or Dolan, the Knicks need to just rebuild. The Marbury deal added on 3 years to a rebuilding effort. And the nonsense that the talk radio guys spew of "New York cant have a rebuilding team" is just that nonsense. They are already a rock bottom club. They couldnt sink much worse than this. And if this helps their pursuit of a big man please tell me what of the few decent big man will the Knicks get for a package of Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway? Kwame Brown is about the only guy who will be out ther for the Knicks in 2005 and Id steer away from him.

And I want to hear how Thomas has done a good job. Not even a great one. Just a good one. Ill make a comparison to the Nets. They went from one of the worst teams in the NBA to Thorn making a trade and making them reach the Finals. Not once but twice and if not for Kidds knee probably three in a row. He definitely made some bad moves on the way with Mutombo and Rodney Rodgers, but how can you say Thomas did a great job when Thorn and Stefanski went after the same player as the Knicks and peeled him away for a few bench players, and two lottery protected picks??? The fact is Isiah inherited a bad team with bad contracts. What he still has is a bad team with bad contracts that are longer than the contracts were when he took over. If he has a bad draft this season, and its always been claimed since his Toronto days that his strength is his drafting especially low, I cant even see making any case for him doing ok for this team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely agree with Jason

the Knicks make trades for the sake of making trades

the roster is now loaded with SF/SG types and just about nobody that is any good at the C/PF position

and at PG they got a player that acts more like a SG at times
    who has also never won a playoff series

you can make an argument that Richardson is younger than Thomas, but by the time the Knicks will actually field a good team, Richardson will be as old as Thomas is right now.

Not to mention the guy didn't even shoot 40% from the field.

Only way this trade is any good if the Knicks do get a pick, that they draft well, the draft is what could save them

For anyone says this is a great trade, come back in a year when the Knicks are looking at the lottery