Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Knicks to trade Kurt Thomas to Phoenix for Quentin Richardson

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Knicks to trade Kurt Thomas to Phoenix for Quentin Richardson

Quentin Richardson Dealt To The Knicks For Kurt Thomas

Quote:

Quentin Richardson will be dealt to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future conditional number one draft choice. This deal is pending league approval and should be announced following Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday.

The deal was confirmed to me by a source close to the trade negotiations.

There was little doubt that one of the Sunsí five starters would not be back for the 2005-2006 season and Richardson is the player that Bryan Colangelo and the Suns have decided to move. The move will clear room for the Suns to re-sign restricted free agent Joe Johnson.

Thomas is signed through the 2009 season, while Richardson, whose game overlaps with Johnson's, is signed through the 2009 season as well and the Suns have a team option for the 2009-2010 season.

Richardson averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds per game in his first season in Phoneix. He made 226 3-pointers with the high-powered Suns, compared to 120 in his final season in Los Angeles.

Thomas, a 10-year veteran, gives the Suns a player who averaged 11.5 and 10.4 rebounds per game last season with the Knicks. He will allow Shawn Marion to slide back to the small forward position and Amare Stoudemire will be less exposed at center, playing beside a power forward of Thomas' caliber.

Great trade, with the Knicks expected to release Allan Houston. Crawford will be a better backup at both guard spots than as a starter....Good trade for both teams!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a decent trade. But where'd you get that from. And i don't think there's any way the knicks can cut Allan Houston.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak10
    Sounds like a decent trade. But where'd you get that from. And i don't think there's any way the knicks can cut Allan Houston.
    the new collective bargaining agreement eliminates 40mm if the Knicks cut him

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak10
    It's from RealGM.com and I got it from the best Knicks messageboard I've been on (www.nykfanpage.com/forum). Waiting for league approval after game 7, but the salaries match up.

Allan Houston WILL be cut, because the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement allows a one-time opportunity to release players and still have their salaries on the salary cap, but not pay luxury tax on that salary if over the cap....which the Knicks are considerably. Bye-bye Allan....thanks and good luck

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like another horrible Knicks trade
    giving up their best inside presence (which isn't saying too much)
    and a 1st rounder

for yet ANOTHER shooting guard/forward

why do they even bother anymore?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont watch basketball a lot, but this sounds like a dumbass trade. Kurt Thomas was the only Knick who played ANY defense, and didn't the Knicks just get another guard who is just like Quentin Richardson? I forget his name, but he was on the Chicago Bulls. Ive seen Quentin Richardson play. The guy is a 1 dimensional player just like the other guard they got from the Bulls who doesn't play defense. This sounds like a horrible trade from the Knicks perspective.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKoz
    and a 1st rounder

kurt an insie presence is that joke. kurt hasn't posted anyone up in 4 years. and it isn't this years first rounder it's a conditional one due to them in the next couple of years

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar
    It's from RealGM.com and I got it from the best Knicks messageboard I've been on (www.nykfanpage.com/forum). Waiting for league approval after game 7, but the salaries match up.

Allan Houston WILL be cut, because the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement allows a one-time opportunity to release players and still have their salaries on the salary cap, but not pay luxury tax on that salary if over the cap....which the Knicks are considerably. Bye-bye Allan....thanks and good luck
    This is great news then. I haven't read much about the new CBA and have no idea this was one of the provisions. Thanks for the info!!! ADIOS ALLAN!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKoz
    and a 1st rounder

Nope. I don't agree. Kurt Thomas was their best inside presence defensively, but definitely not offensively. Knicks need an inside force that will stay offensive in the paint and get better movement offensively. Knicks were too often a perimeter offense that didn't have good offensive rebounding. Kurt's a strong player who will help Phoenix, and Q-Rich and Marbury can both play inside/out and take advantages of mismatches better. Q is young (25) and talented, he can be a star with us. I can see the Marbury/Richardson team being a very good combo. Allows Jamal Crawford to backup both guard spots and give us more valuable minutes as the energizer bunny (clutch drives/3 pt. shots and quick hands on the defense (press defense) off the bench. This frees up more time for JYD too, he can play good d.

Future 1st rounder will be protected, and maybe in 3 years when we're already competing for a championship....as long as we also draft Andrew Bynum at the #8 spot. In 2-3 years, Knicks are back in contention.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a Kurt Thomas fan, but you have to think many more moves will be made, especially if they rid themselves of Houston. The only problem with that is Isiah is the worst GM since Layden in the NBA.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kurt Thomas was my favorite Knick and he always gave it his all, on both offense and defense. He was beginning to come into his own and now they trade him. What will probably happen is, he'll end up being a much better player with the Suns, just like Mahomed is with the Spurs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus, with the ability to also cut Taylor, Penny, or TT when they cut Houston, they possibly allow for the signing and development of all 3 draft choices and maybe a strong Mid-Level Exception signing.

Probably definitely hold on the Tim Thomas, and either ride out a spirited ending year of a contract, or possibly trade him by the deadline to a team looking to dump $15 million on their salary cap at the end of their season.

The NBA will also develop the NBA Developmental League, so that allows a team to keep it's rookies, pay them, but play them not on the active roster - but in the development league. Smart move by the league. Now, almost all draftees will get a better look before getting cut, giving them more time to adjust to the professional game and IMO let them concentrate on learning and getting better than have them worry and play tight cause they're scared of not making the team. This keeps a connection between rookie and team that can increase sense of loyalty from players when their game improves and they can make an impact, knowing that the team stuck with them when it's time for them to renew contracts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quentin Richarson's stats are horrible. The guy shot 38% from the field last year. He sucks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... btw, Bill Lambier has had two interviews with the Knicks ...what does he bring that Herb Williams doesn't, besides the fact he is friends with Isiah.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSFJFC
    Kurt Thomas was my favorite Knick and he always gave it his all, on both offense and defense. He was beginning to come into his own and now they trade him. What will probably happen is, he'll end up being a much better player with the Suns, just like Mahomed is with the Spurs.
    I've got to be honest. Mohammed is not that good. And he's played like crap the last 2 games. Duncan and Ginobili are what makes the Spurs tick. The Spurs have been outplayed this series, and Nazr has disappeared down this stretch. They should win tonight, but not because of Nazr Mohammed.

Kurt Thomas is TWICE the player Nazr is, and you're right....he'll do a great job for the Suns. However, we needed to move the Knicks forward. We still had too many power forwards and not enough size. The signing of Q allows us IMO to draft a possibly dominant center. Andrew Bynum baby!!!! C'mon Isaiah, this is the pick....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    this trade will not happen

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    being from PHX and a Suns fan I gotta love this! I've never really seen Thomas play but from what I hear he's pretty good.

I would like to get some feedback on Thomas' game (any good? is he a banger? etc.)...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar
    I've got to be honest. Mohammed is not that good. And he's played like crap the last 2 games. Duncan and Ginobili are what makes the Spurs tick. The Spurs have been outplayed this series, and Nazr has disappeared down this stretch. They should win tonight, but not because of Nazr Mohammed.

Kurt Thomas is TWICE the player Nazr is, and you're right....he'll do a great job for the Suns. However, we needed to move the Knicks forward. We still had too many power forwards and not enough size. The signing of Q allows us IMO to draft a possibly dominant center. Andrew Bynum baby!!!! C'mon Isaiah, this is the pick....
    We definitely do need more size.

I just thought Nazr became a better player since he was with the Spurs. It always happens, when we trade a player, they always turn out to be better then they were when they were with the Knicks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JacktheRipper]I dont watch basketball a lot,

Then how could we take anything you say after this serious???

By the way I do agree with you...this is a horrible trade for the Knicks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSFAN_viaAZ
    being from PHX and a Suns fan I gotta love this! I've never really seen Thomas play but from what I hear he's pretty good.

I would like to get some feedback on Thomas' game (any good? is he a banger? etc.)...
    KT for the Suns:

Offensively...One of the best mid-range jumpshooters in the league, great off the pick and roll. Sets good picks on the wing and has a quick release. Will run for the loose ball. Not much post presence though. Can get the hot hand...when he's on, should be fed the ball. Not a great offensive rebounder. Will give you consistent double-doubles.

Defensively...will sacrifice his body and take a lot of defensive charges, play strong post defense (doesn't leave his feet too much on fakes, keeps hands up, and stands his ground fairly well). Not a shot-blocker though. Strong defensive rebounder. Tough player.

His value for the Suns will be better than it has in recent years with the Knicks. On a good team, KT is more valuable. On a rebuilding team with no post-presence in their center, KT was out of position at center, enhancing his outside game offensively but overmatched defensively at the center spot. As a power forward, he'll still be a good jump shooter and an even better defender. At times though, when Amare gets in foul trouble against the better centers in the league, they can confidently switch KT onto the center when necessary.

You'll like KT....he's not as boneheaded as he used to be. Used to get frazzled with officials, but he's settled down while keeping his intensity strong.