Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The Worst Team Money Could Buy

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,441
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Worst Team Money Could Buy

    Pitching Staff
    1. R.J
    2. Mussina
    3. Pavano
    4. Kevin Brown
    5. Jaret Wright

    Lineup
    1. Jeter-SS
    2. Womack-LF
    3. Sheffield-RF
    4. Matsui- LF
    5. Arod-3B
    6. Posada-C
    7. Bernie CF
    8. Giambi-DH
    9. Cano-2b

    Take a look at this "team" Take a long look at what 200+million dollars buy!.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats what happens when you overpay for some "big names". maybe george should quit just trying to outbid every other team for these overrated players and start paying fair market value for some real talent.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JacktheRipper
    Pitching Staff
    1. R.J
    2. Mussina
    3. Pavano
    4. Kevin Brown
    5. Jaret Wright

    Lineup
    1. Jeter-SS
    2. Womack-LF
    3. Sheffield-RF
    4. Matsui- LF
    5. Arod-3B
    6. Posada-C
    7. Bernie CF
    8. Giambi-DH
    9. Cano-2b

    Take a look at this "team" Take a long look at what 200+million dollars buy!.
    now compare that to the mets team and look at the difference and tell me.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428
    now compare that to the mets team and look at the difference and tell me.
    The Mets aren't the greatest comparison my friend. And that is coming from a Yankee fan that agrees this is the worst team $200 million can buy.

    But, if you want me to compare I will:
    1. Pedro: Worth the money this year and probably next year, but will be overpaid in his last 2 seasons.
    2. Glavine: Do I have to say anything?
    3. Benson: Well, he's not overpaid when you consider what all the pitchers this offseason got, but it was Minaya that f*cked up the pitching market with Benson's contract. He's pitched well so far though so you can't complain too much.
    4. Zambrano: Not getting paid much but if you consider he cost you Kazmir..
    5. Ishii: Not sure what he makes, but he surely is overpaid no matter what it is.

    6. Mientkavich: Doesn't get paid too much, but for a crappy hitter he's being overpaid.
    7. Kaz Matsui: Very overpaid.
    8. Reyes: good stuff.
    9. Wright: see above.
    10. Mike Cameron: Interesting question here. He's been great this season when he's played but was terrible last year.
    11. Carlos Beltran: Even if he wasn't struggling, he's definitely overpaid. The Mets knew they were overpaying him when they signed him.
    12. Cliff Floyd: No matter how well he's doing this year, he's overpaid.
    13. Mike Piazza: No reason to type anything.

    So, the Mets also have their fair share of overpaid players. Not as bad as the Yankees but what team is?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    The Mets aren't the greatest comparison my friend. And that is coming from a Yankee fan that agrees this is the worst team $200 million can buy.

    But, if you want me to compare I will:
    1. Pedro: Worth the money this year and probably next year, but will be overpaid in his last 2 seasons.
    2. Glavine: Do I have to say anything?
    3. Benson: Well, he's not overpaid when you consider what all the pitchers this offseason got, but it was Minaya that f*cked up the pitching market with Benson's contract. He's pitched well so far though so you can't complain too much.
    4. Zambrano: Not getting paid much but if you consider he cost you Kazmir..
    5. Ishii: Not sure what he makes, but he surely is overpaid no matter what it is.

    6. Mientkavich: Doesn't get paid too much, but for a crappy hitter he's being overpaid.
    7. Kaz Matsui: Very overpaid.
    8. Reyes: good stuff.
    9. Wright: see above.
    10. Mike Cameron: Interesting question here. He's been great this season when he's played but was terrible last year.
    11. Carlos Beltran: Even if he wasn't struggling, he's definitely overpaid. The Mets knew they were overpaying him when they signed him.
    12. Cliff Floyd: No matter how well he's doing this year, he's overpaid.
    13. Mike Piazza: No reason to type anything.

    So, the Mets also have their fair share of overpaid players. Not as bad as the Yankees but what team is?

    let me rebut.

    1. what possible reason has pedro given as of yet for you to assume he will sharply decline in the next 2 years. stupid statement. if he waa a yankee you'd be talking about how he'll be great till he's 45.
    2. glavine hasn't been too good, so not muxh i can say. he looked alright against the yanks on saturday though.
    3. benson is doing well and if not for our crappy bullpen shyould have gotten the win against the yanks yesterday.
    4. zamnrano's main problem is his control. still kazmir hasn't turned out to be a big loss as of yet, so i don't see your point.
    5. ishii is only here cause trachsel went down and we had no replacement. there wasn't too many pitchers available at the time so, we got what we got.
    6. mientkiewicz was taken for his glove. obviously our first choice was delgado, but that didnt happen. doug isn't payed too much and honestly isn't doing much worse than your 1st baseman. y'know the 40 million dollar steroid monkey.
    7. matsui sucks, no argument here.
    8. cameron wasn't terrible last year. he wasnt great but he wasnt terrible. and he's always a gold glove fielder, year in and year out. he'd look alot better patroling cf in your stadium than that bum williams.
    9. beltran is overpaid, but hes still a good player.
    10. cliff floyd doesn't make all that much. and hes having a very good year. injuries slowed him down the past 2 years. now that hes healthy hes doing quite well.
    11. piazza is in the last year of a very long contract. this guy carried the mets for years and years. hes a first ballot hof'er without question. yes hes declined but this is just a stupid statement. but i expect nothing less from you.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    let me rebut.

    1. what possible reason has pedro given as of yet for you to assume he will sharply decline in the next 2 years. stupid statement. if he waa a yankee you'd be talking about how he'll be great till he's 45.
    2. glavine hasn't been too good, so not muxh i can say. he looked alright against the yanks on saturday though.
    3. benson is doing well and if not for our crappy bullpen shyould have gotten the win against the yanks yesterday.
    4. zamnrano's main problem is his control. still kazmir hasn't turned out to be a big loss as of yet, so i don't see your point.
    5. ishii is only here cause trachsel went down and we had no replacement. there wasn't too many pitchers available at the time so, we got what we got.
    6. mientkiewicz was taken for his glove. obviously our first choice was delgado, but that didnt happen. doug isn't payed too much and honestly isn't doing much worse than your 1st baseman. y'know the 40 million dollar steroid monkey.
    7. matsui sucks, no argument here.
    8. cameron wasn't terrible last year. he wasnt great but he wasnt terrible. and he's always a gold glove fielder, year in and year out. he'd look alot better patroling cf in your stadium than that bum williams.
    9. beltran is overpaid, but hes still a good player.
    10. cliff floyd doesn't make all that much. and hes having a very good year. injuries slowed him down the past 2 years. now that hes healthy hes doing quite well.
    11. piazza is in the last year of a very long contract. this guy carried the mets for years and years. hes a first ballot hof'er without question. yes hes declined but this is just a stupid statement. but i expect nothing less from you.
    Disagree with several of your rebuttal comments.

    1. Pedro is not going to give you value in the last 2 years of his pact. Boston didn't want to offer anything above 2 years and only reluctantly went to a 3rd year, guarantee. They never considered a 4th. I would trust their judgement on this one. They know his history better then you or I.
    2. For the most part, Glavine has been a 3 year waste of big time money. But since he's not in the Bronx, no one talks that much about it. Has he really been better then Pavano is going so far in 2005 (Glavine 2.5 seasons in comparison to Pavano's 2005).

    3. Benson killed the pitchers market for many teams this off-season. He was overpaid. But he has pitched well.

    4. Kazmir has the looks of a big time ace. Maybe that is overstating it, but he looks like a legit #1 or #2. Zambrano, until he consistently learns the strike zone, will never be reliable. He's right now a #4, at best.

    5. Agreed.

    6. Can't disagree, but he is a very poor hitter for a guy occupying a power position.

    7. Agreed.

    8. Disagree. Cameroon had a terrible season defensively last year. And he stole bases in games that did not help the team much. His HR's also seemed to not have much meaning. This year, for all his moaning and groaning, he has been a revelation in RF.

    9. Agreed. No one is worth the kind of money these 15 million plus players are getting.

    10. Agreed. Floyd has talent, but injuries have been his problem. That, and a big mouth. But he's a nice player, who probably would thrive as a DH.

    11. Piazza is just like Pedro will be in 2 seasons. These guys are overpaid, and the contracts are too long. By the last year or 2, they hamper a team. See Bernie Williams for another example.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    let me rebut.

    1. what possible reason has pedro given as of yet for you to assume he will sharply decline in the next 2 years. stupid statement. if he waa a yankee you'd be talking about how he'll be great till he's 45.
    2. glavine hasn't been too good, so not muxh i can say. he looked alright against the yanks on saturday though.
    3. benson is doing well and if not for our crappy bullpen shyould have gotten the win against the yanks yesterday.
    4. zamnrano's main problem is his control. still kazmir hasn't turned out to be a big loss as of yet, so i don't see your point.
    5. ishii is only here cause trachsel went down and we had no replacement. there wasn't too many pitchers available at the time so, we got what we got.
    6. mientkiewicz was taken for his glove. obviously our first choice was delgado, but that didnt happen. doug isn't payed too much and honestly isn't doing much worse than your 1st baseman. y'know the 40 million dollar steroid monkey.
    7. matsui sucks, no argument here.
    8. cameron wasn't terrible last year. he wasnt great but he wasnt terrible. and he's always a gold glove fielder, year in and year out. he'd look alot better patroling cf in your stadium than that bum williams.
    9. beltran is overpaid, but hes still a good player.
    10. cliff floyd doesn't make all that much. and hes having a very good year. injuries slowed him down the past 2 years. now that hes healthy hes doing quite well.
    11. piazza is in the last year of a very long contract. this guy carried the mets for years and years. hes a first ballot hof'er without question. yes hes declined but this is just a stupid statement. but i expect nothing less from you.
    1. Because Pedro is a pitcher with a small frame that has had a number of injuries throughout his years. I wouldn't say that if he was a Yankee just as I said that I didn't think RJ would be good in his last 2 seasons.
    2. Doesn't matter what he looked in that one game (which wasn't all that great - got saved by his defense a lot). He hasn't been that good in his first two seasons with the Mets and the fact that he has another year on his contract after this (if he pitches 600 Innings which he will) makes him even more overpaid.
    3. So you're agreeing with me?
    4. If you don't think a 20 year old pitcher with Kazmir's stuff is going to be a big loss, you're crazy. You might also be the only Met fan that isn't upset with that trade.
    5. That has nothing to do with anything. Is he overpaid? Yes. Next question.
    6. Why would you even want to compare any of your players with Giambi? We all know that Giambi has probably the worst contract in sports. I just don't understand the need to compare the two players. Doug makes 3.75 million this year, which is too much for a firstbaseman hitting as badly as he is.
    7...
    8. Actually, a lot of Met fans were complaining last year about Cameron's defense. The fact was he was playing hurt a lot last season and wasn't that good and was hurt for most of the year. But, no, he's been very good this year and is a valuable player. As for Bernie, you do know that Mike Cameron couldn't come close to the career Bernie has had, don't you? In fact, I would be surprised if Beltran had as good of a career when all is said and done. Bernie is old now, and it's too bad the Yankees didn't get anyone in the offseason to replace him, because he can't field anymore.
    9. Nobody said he wasn't a good player.
    10. Yeah, this year he's worth it. The last couple years he wasn't.
    11. Now you're just being hypocritical. It's really actually hilarious. You do know that Bernie (the "bum" according to you) is also in the last year of a 7 year contract? You do know that Bernie has done a ton for this organization? But somehow, everything is different with Piazza? You may want to remember what you type before you say stuff like this. But, I wouldn't expect anything different from you.
    The question: Is Mike Piazza overpaid this year? The answer is yes. Was Mike Piazza overpaid last year? The answer is yes. Has Mike Piazza done a ton for the Met team in his years? Yes. Was he overpaid in the beginning of the contract? No. Is he overpaid now? Yes.

    Not sure if you understood this but the question was to look at the Mets. I was stating that the Mets are not a great comparison because they have a very big payroll themselves and a number of overpaid players themselves. If you were a Twins fan it would be a great comparison. Or a Marlins fan. Or a Nationals fan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us