Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: NBA Draft

Channing Frye to the Knicks @ #8

Seems like a safe pick ... the case pick ... but man that dude is RAIL THIN for a big man

Thats a good pick from the Knicks. Hes not a good defender, but who on the Knicks really is?

Absolute reach for Villanueva from the Raptors. Everyone on ESPN was clueless about it and so am I. All I can think of is that they have a trade in the works and either he never puts on a Raptors uniform or Bosh is gone...Diogu just got picked number 9 and Im surprised he went that high. I was kind of hoping hed get to the Nets once Charlie was gone. Looks as if May or Vazquez will end up being the bigger man choices for the Nets if they go that route. Gerald Green looks to be the big drop of the draft.

Banned
    Cmon Magic...Take Danny Granger!

Lakers took Andrew Bynum at #10 ... I think this one comes back to haunt the Knicks

Now this dude is a BIG, BIG MAN ... 7 Footer {Plus} who tips the scales at nearly 300 Pounds, and he's barely 18

Makes Frye look like a small frye
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny2Coles
    Cmon Magic...Take Danny Granger!
    Damn...dont know much of Vazquez

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Makes Frye look like a small frye
    Very Funny GJ&H

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

Thats a good pick from the Knicks. Hes not a good defender, but who on the Knicks really is?

Absolute reach for Villanueva from the Raptors. Everyone on ESPN was clueless about it and so am I. All I can think of is that they have a trade in the works and either he never puts on a Raptors uniform or Bosh is gone...Diogu just got picked number 9 and Im surprised he went that high. I was kind of hoping hed get to the Nets once Charlie was gone. Looks as if May or Vazquez will end up being the bigger man choices for the Nets if they go that route. Gerald Green looks to be the big drop of the draft.
    I agree ... the Kincks made the safer pick while the Lakers Gambled on the high upside Center

I too am a little disappointed that "the option" of Diogu is off the board for the Nets ... I was hoping they would at least have the option of picking him

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanVilma51

Ver Funny GJ&H
    Nah I'm only kidding, JV ... Knicks made a nice pick ... the safe pick, but a good player

Damn...May to the Bobcats. I was hoping he'd be there for the Nets.

I think it should be between Granger and McCants for them now.

I guess Garcia could be an option as well.

I really wanted Diogu, May or McCants ... really pissed me off when May and McCants went directly ahead of the Nets

So what's the deal with this Antoine Wright Guy ... is he any good?

I really wanted Diogu, May or McCants ... really pissed me off when May and McCants went directly ahead of the Nets

I don't know much about him. ESPN said he had some flags at the post-season workouts and a down soph season but was solid last year. They had him at #11.

I was a bit surprised by the pick. Granger and Garcia (even Warrick) got a bit more talk before the draft. However, I don't know enough about Wright to say anything about the pick.

I really don't know anything about write, but i know i trust Rod Thorne. I thought the Nets were going to go with Granger.

Here's a review of Wright.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft...oinewright.htm

Best comment about him: "But unlike most players in the draft, Wright just simply doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses.”

That shook out about as bad as possible for the Nets. Every player I think they had targeted was gone and Im not sure any "expert" thought that would happen. They waited the full 5 minutes, I would think trying to deal, before they made the selection. Im not even sure they had him in for a workout. I'm not too familiar with him. Looks as if hes got a good handle on the ball and good range. What scares me is that he jumped from being a 36% shooter to a 50% shooter last season. Is that his natural growth as a player or is it a fluke season? Same goes for his 3 pt % going from about 30% to 45%. He was under 70% from the stripe. Sounds as if he has the potential to be a real spark plug off the bench for this team and thats about all anyone could say about him now.

All Pro
    I agree ... the Kincks made the safer pick while the Lakers Gambled on the high upside Center

I too am a little disappointed that "the option" of Diogu is off the board for the Nets ... I was hoping they would at least have the option of picking him

The Knicks had the choice that the Fakers didn`t.Who`s to say that if the fakers had the 8th pick,they would not have chosen Frye

At least statistically Wright is an even better shooter than McCants ... also a bigger guy and a better rebounder

Antoine Wright, 6' 7"/205
    Rashad McCants, 6' 4"/207

2004/05 Stats

PPG
    ===
    Wright - 17.8
    McCants - 16.0

FG%
    ===
    Wright - .501 ..... {50+ % shooter from the field }
    McCants - .489

3P%
    ===
    Wright - .447
    McCants - .423

REB
    ===
    Wright - 6.0
    McCants - 3.0

=============

Same as I said with McCants ... if they drafted Wright as a 6th man/Gunslinger who can drill shots off the bench, and they land PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim in free agency, this pick definitely makes sense
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 09:29 PM.

One more thing ... at 6' 7" Wright can probably gives you minutes at the 2 and the 3 ... can spell both Carter and Jefferson ... he's a 2 but he's tall enough to give you minutes at the 3 ... while at 6' 4" McCants could only spell the 2G
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 09:32 PM.

Thumbs down

My mock lottery turned out pretty damn good. I got 11/14 picks correct. I was actually shocked I did so good, as I never post mocks because mine usually suck. Here's how I predicted it:

1. MIL- Andrew Bogut
    2. ATL- Marvin Williams
    3. POR- Deron Williams (now UTA with the impending trade)
    4. NO- Chris Paul
    5. CHA- Raymond Felton
    6. UTA- Martell Webster (now POR with impending trade)
    7. TOR- Gerald Green
    8. NYK- Channing Frye (Who knows with Isiah. I kind of like Bynum just because he has a high ceiling and I think Frye is ok but just a good role player.)
    9. GS- Danny Granger
    10. LAL- Andrew Bynum
    11. ORL- Fran Vasquez
    12. LAC- Yaroslav Korolev
    13. CHA- Sean May
    14. MIN- Joey Graham

I'm not sure about the Frye pick. It fills a need but I'm not one to draft on need especially in the NBA Draft which is a bigger tossup than the NFL Draft. I think you take the best available, and I think that Granger/Green would have been a better pick even if the Knicks do need a center. Frye will be a good role player and will probably be ok but I just don't think he makes the Knicks that much better. I really hope I'm wrong but the Knicks are infamous for screwing up first round picks. Watch Frye turn out to be the next John Wallace, while Green becomes the next T Mac and we passed him up to fill a need. Good luck to Frye and I hope that he can make an impact.

Other random thoughts:

-Toronto's pick of Villanueva makes abosultely no sense. He wasn't the best available and he wasn't picked for need, as Toronto has Bosh. I don't get it.

- Diogu was a reach at 9.

- I'm very interested in seeing what Bynum does. I hope he doesn't turn out to be one of those HS players the Knicks will regret not picking. He has the size and a ton of potential.

- Korolev will not see the NBA floor for the Clippers.

- I love what Charlotte is doing. They are building a great young core with Okafor and now Felton and May.

- Granger, Green and Warrick are great value for the Pacers, Celtics, and Grizzlies at 17, 18, 19. Granger and Green especially could be steals.

- Apparently Phoenix picked Robinson for the Knicks. I really like that. Robinson is small but I think he'll be good as a backup to come in and change the pace and play defense..yes, defense on the Knicks. If he comes to the Knicks I like the pick. I think Jack would have been better than Robinson though personally.

One final thing which I find shocking. Not sure if it was meant to be saraastic and I missed it but this is what Dan Weyzel, covering the draft for yahoo says:

– The Suns are up soon and another "source" just told me they will make the pick for the Knicks in a reconstructed Kurt Thomas-Quentin Richardson deal. New York will get the Q. and the pick and trade Channing Frye and Thomas. - 9:29 pm EDT

The Celtics got the steal of the draft in Gerald Green.

"The second big steal in the draft. With a name like Green, Danny Ainge can't go wrong. In 1998, the Celtics had Paul Pierce inexplicably drop to them. Has lightning struck twice? Green is one of the two or three most athletic players in the draft. He can stroke it. He has superstar potential. It may take a little while, but Green has the chance to be awesome. Pair him with Al Jefferson and other players like Delonte West and Tony Allen and, over the course of the last two years, Ainge has built a nice young core. An awesome pick for Boston. -- CHAD FORD"
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft/.../round?round=1
    "Green, finally. A total steal for the Celtics. Sonny Vaccaro is giving the pick a standing ovation. I can guarantee you Boston never, ever dreamed this kid would slide to 18. Paul Pierce, you are on the clock. This fits in with the Celtics' youth movement anyway. I don't have time to look this up, but I believe their last 15 draft picks have come from the University of Memphis' recruiting class. ... The best story about Green is that he only made his high school varsity team as a junior because the coach demanded that no player wear braids and a couple of dudes quit. Less than 17 months later, he is the No. 1 pick of the 16-time NBA champs. Only in America. - 9:18 pm EDT"
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/draft?analysis=1