Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: NBA Draft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frye will stay with the Knicks. Wetzel just wrote this in the blog:

Now we know why there was a delay in the Q. Richardson-Kurt Thomas deal. Nate Robinson is the Suns' pick, but he is headed to the Knicks eventually. He isn't a pure point, but he will electrify the Garden crowds at the very least. At 5-8, Robinson is a water bug of an athlete. He'll also allow Stephon Marbury to play off the ball a little bit. It's a very intriguing move by Isiah Thomas, who was an awful good small guard himself. And the Knicks get to keep Channing Frye, who is NOT included in the deal. Once again a source was "mostly correct." We'll take it, though. - 9:40 pm EDT

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just snatched this mini bio off the Nets website

SG/SF Antoine Wright - 6' 7"/210 - Texas A&M

Career Highlights: Named First Team All-Big 12 by AP as a junior, the first such honor for a Texas A&M player in school history. Also earned All-District honors from the NABC and USBWA. Currently ranks as Texas A&M’s ninth all-time leading scorer with 1,338 career points. Also ranks second in three-point field goals made (181) and 11th in blocks (50). Was a member of the gold medal-winning Team USA squad at the 2002 Global Games held in Dallas, Texas, and the bronze medal-winning USA Basketball Junior World Championship Qualifying Team that finished 4-1 at the 2003 FIBA Junior World Championship.

Junior (2004-05): Ranked fourth in the Big 12 in scoring (17.8 ppg) and led the league in three-point field goal percentage (.447). Led team in steals (36) and ranked second in blocked shots (22). Recorded five double-doubles. Tied career-high with 32 points including 11-for-11 free throw shooting at Colorado. Poured in 29 points, making 7-for-8 from three-point range vs. Texas Tech. Scored 18 points and tied career-high by snaring 12 rebounds at Texas Tech. Posted 28 points vs. Kansas State in the Big 12 Tournament. Scored 21 points on 7-for-12 shooting vs. St. Joseph’s in the quarterfinals of the post-season NIT
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Was at that NIT semi-final and I'm still trying to figure out why this guy went so high. As a Nets fan I hope I'm wrong.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet

Was at that NIT semi-final and I'm still trying to figure out why this guy went so high. As a Nets fan I hope I'm wrong.
    Jumba, I really don't know much about this cat other than the stats {which look favorable} ... but I did see him Going as high as 9 in a number of mocks I looked at last nite ... he was hovering right around that area {10} in most mocks I looked at, so I don't think it was a reach

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

Jumba, I really don't know much about this cat other than the stats {which look favorable} ... but I did see him Going as high as 9 in a number of mocks I looked at last nite ... he was hovering right around that area {10} in most mocks I looked at, so I don't think it was a reach
    NBAdraft.net, who nailed quite a few picks on the nose, had Wright Going 13th in their final mock ... ahead of some notables such as McCants, Vazquez, May, Garcia, Graham and Warrick

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Collegehoopsnet had Wright Going #11 Overall in their final mock ... ahead of McCants, Vazquez, Warrick, May, Bynum, Diogu, Graham and Garcia

Insidehoops had him Going 16 Overall {lowest I have seen} in their final mock
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard for ME to judge off of one game, but he looked pretty unspectacular that day against meager competition. Dwayne Lee of JC outplayed him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Knicks take David Lee at 30. I kind of like the pick. I think he could be a good role player. I saw a lot of his games at Florida and he had some great games. I think he will be a good bench player and maybe even a frings starter one day. At least Isiah didn't take Monta Ellis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet

Hard for ME to judge off of one game, but he looked pretty unspectacular that day against meager competition. Dwayne Lee of JC outplayed him.
    You may be right, Jumba ... of course we both hope you're wrong, but you may be right ... but according to his consensus projection it was a good value pick for the Nets

His FG% and 3P% in 04/05 are both very impressive ... shoots Just over 50% from the floor and around 45% from outside the arc ... and as a 6' 7" SG/SF he can spell both Cater and Jefferson to get his minutes off the bench

Lastly, the key {as I have been saying all along} is Abdur-Rahim ... if we can sign this FA PF we are off to the races ... right back in contention for a trip to the finals if Wright also shoots as well as his numbers would indicate

PS. As for Gerald Green ... the Nets were never taking a H.S. kid at 15 ... J-Kidd would have thrown a fit ... the Nets are too much of a NOW TEAM and Kidd needs to make a run ASAP ... he would have freaked out if the Nets tabbed a H.S. kid, and I can't say that I blame him
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29

I'm not sure about the Frye pick. It fills a need but I'm not one to draft on need especially in the NBA Draft which is a bigger tossup than the NFL Draft. I think you take the best available, and I think that Granger/Green would have been a better pick even if the Knicks do need a center. Frye will be a good role player and will probably be ok but I just don't think he makes the Knicks that much better. I really hope I'm wrong but the Knicks are infamous for screwing up first round picks. Watch Frye turn out to be the next John Wallace, while Green becomes the next T Mac and we passed him up to fill a need. Good luck to Frye and I hope that he can make an impact.

– The Suns are up soon and another "source" just told me they will make the pick for the Knicks in a reconstructed Kurt Thomas-Quentin Richardson deal. New York will get the Q. and the pick and trade Channing Frye and Thomas. - 9:29 pm EDT

Notice, at least for now, Isiah has picked college seniors (and a Jr if Robinson is a Knick)..........I hear what you are saying about picking someone with a high ceiling, but NY doesn't allow for you to pick a H.S. player and then have them sit on the bench for 3 years..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJet29

Knicks take David Lee at 30. I kind of like the pick. I think he could be a good role player. I saw a lot of his games at Florida and he had some great games. I think he will be a good bench player and maybe even a frings starter one day. At least Isiah didn't take Monta Ellis.
    I hope the Nets can steal Monta Ellis at 43

30 may have been a little too high, but the value would be outstanding at 43 ... that's where you take a H.S. player with SICK scoring totals

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG Isiah Thomas picked a white guy. I bet Spike Lee was loving that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JacktheRipper
    OMG Isiah Thomas picked a white guy. I bet Spike Lee was loving that.

Hey If you want to be racist go to the New Orleans Saints board. Wow you should listen to the KKK over their.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, with Ellis off the board there is another player I would love to steal at 43 ... C/PF Andray Blatche

I hope he's there for the Nets
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 10:51 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    I hope the Nets can steal Monta Ellis at 43

30 may have been a little too high, but the value would be outstanding at 43 ... that's where you take a H.S. player with SICK scoring totals
    Right now Im pulling for Chris Taft to fall to the Nets. He was a sure fire top 15 last season before he fell apart this year. Lots of potential.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The story of the night...one pick off.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

Right now Im pulling for Chris Taft to fall to the Nets. He was a sure fire top 15 last season before he fell apart this year. Lots of potential.
    Just went at 42 ... Bummer

Okay, now it has to be Blatche!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Luke Schenscher would make for a fun duo with Scalabrine. They may not be too good, but they certainly would be crowd favorites.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    NICE PICK for the Nets ... perhaps even better than Blatche

Mile Ilic
    Birthdate: 7/2/84
    NBA Position: Center
    Ht: 7-1
    Wt: 230
    Int Team: KK Reflex (Partizan Belgrade)
    Hometown: Serbia & Montenegro

NBA Comparison: Nenad Krstic

Strengths: Another intruiging prospect of the always fertile ground of Yugoslavia ... Still learning the game and if he has the intelligence and patience to wait to start his NBA career, he can be great ... He has come on strong in the past year and established himself as a legit NBA prospect. Right now he usually only gets garbage minutes, but he's had some nice games this season for Reflex ... At 20 years of age he is coming into his own as a basketball player ... He has received more than twenty minutes three times and played very well going for 15p 6r versus Bologna in Uleb cup then 13p 3r at Buducnost in the Adriatic league ... Numbers which display the potential of a good prospect ... He is over seven feet in height, and a long frame, and good coordination ... He does not shy away from contact and saccrifices his body ... His understanding of posting up and moving without the ball is excellent. Always keeping his hands in a ready position and is good at receiving passes ... Has some nice skills in the post and shows aggressiveness going to the basket ... He has good confidence and really wants the ball in important situations. He makes very good decisions and intelligence ... He can play back to the basket, but also can play some face up and has a jump hook which is effective ... His vision and passing under the basket is very good ... His feet are quick which gives him solid potential defensively ... Overall he's a very intruiging prospect, whose best bet is to be patient!

Weaknesses: He is just an average athlete with nice average speed and quickness ... He still needs to get a lot stronger in order to play in the post in the NBA. Right now he could never hold his position on the blocks ... His body still must be developed. His shotblocking can get alot better but he must improve his timing and not be so eager, stay on his feet more ... Right now his real weakness is lack of experience. He still has a lot to learn about basketball as Yugoslavian basketball works on the basic fundamentals, but doesn't incorporate many of the intricate sets and schemes of the NBA.

Notes: At the end of the season he became the teams starting center when they were elimianted from playoff contention and cut Kimani FFriend ... Ilic is similar to Serbian center Nenad Krstic in game and athleticism and is at the same level as Krstic was at 20 years of age, however Krstic improved considerably in the past year.
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-28-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but GJ&H, do we need another Nenad? We must be grabbing a solid PF free agent... cause this definitely appears to be a bench draft. Which isn't a bad thing provided we can get a good starting PF.