Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: OT: NBA Draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vilma51 i may be misreading something but you know the heat isnt in the atlantic, right? The atlantic is still a weak conference, but the Nets are probably the class. Celtics are pretty young and have pretty questionable D and ball handling, while the 6ers werent good last season, didnt have a pick, just have the MLE, and have to lock up korver/green/dalembert.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I'm a Pretty Smart Guy ... not always, but sometimes

Thorn looking for power forward now that draft is over

By TOM CANAVAN

Associated Press

Minutes after introducing draft choices Antoine Wright and Mile Ilic on Tuesday night, New Jersey Nets President Rod Thorn was already concentrating on the future and free agency.

The Nets didn't draft a big man who can play immediately, so Thorn will try to sign one when free agency opens at the end of the week.

It's more than likely going to be a power forward, with Stromile Swift, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Donyell Marshall being the best available.

Swift averaged 10.1 points and 4.6 rebounds in 60 games with the Memphis Grizzlies. Abdur-Rahim averaged 16.8 points and 7.3 with the Portland Trail Blazers. Marshall averaged 11.5 points and 6.6 rebounds with the Raptors.
    BTW, of the three {Rahim, Swift and Marshall} I would prefer Rahim, but any of the three will do JUST FINE in 05/06 ... all three are productive PF's, with the oldest of the three being Marshall at 32 {which is not old for the short-term}

The best LONG TERM GUY may be Swift ... seems to be improving each year and he's still very young

Rahim is the most productive of the three, younger than Marshall, but older than Swift

Bottom line: I'll be happy with any of the three ... any one of the three puts us right back in "finals contention"
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-29-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Sometimes I'm a Pretty Smart Guy ... not always, but sometimes

BTW, of the three {Rahim, Swift and Marshall} I would prefer Rahim, but any of the three will do JUST FINE in 05/06 ... all three are productive PF's, with the oldest of the three being Marshall at 32 {which is not old for the short-term}

The best LONG TERM GUY may be Swift ... seems to be improving each year and he's still very young

Rahim is the most productive of the three, younger than Marshall, but older than Swift

Bottom line: I'll be happy with any of the three ... any one of the three puts us right back in "finals contention"
    Awesome. Swift would be a great guy to have for the future, but could also help us win now. Rahim is a proven star in the league who wound up in a bad situation in Portland. Marshall seems to have been in the league forever, but could definitely contribute for a couple of years to come.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hasn't Marshall been here before and was salvaged off the junk heap? Is this the same guy I'm thinking of? If so, how much could he possibly have improved?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245

Awesome. Swift would be a great guy to have for the future, but could also help us win now. Rahim is a proven star in the league who wound up in a bad situation in Portland. Marshall seems to have been in the league forever, but could definitely contribute for a couple of years to come.
    Bullitt, I'll be shocked if we don't walk away with one of these three PF's ... we have the money to spend and now it appears the owner has the will ... we also have Rod Thorn who is nobodies fool ... so with the money, the will, and the Quality GM, I think it's a virtual slam-dunk that we walk away with one of the three very soon

PS. We also have a bonified contender ... add a Quality PF and this team is RIGHT BACK in the mix for a trip to the finals ... so we're attractive to FA's from that standpoint as well ... especially with a PG {Jason Kidd} who automatically makes everyone around him BETTER, Giving them every opportunity to shine

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet

Hasn't Marshall been here before and was salvaged off the junk heap? Is this the same guy I'm thinking of? If so, how much could he possibly have improved?
    Jumba, Donyell Marshall never played for the Nets

Not sure who you are thinking of, but it wasn't Donyell Marshall

BTW, I think it's Gonna be Rahim or Swift anyway ... Just a hunch

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty funny. Last summer into the beginning of the season, it seemed the team had no direction. If it did have a direction, it was down. However, a few weeks later the Carter deal is swung. We lose RJ, but the team keeps fighting, all the way to the playoffs. We were supposed to be a joke, but not this team. As long as Rod Thorn is running the show, he will make sure that things stay on track. Now, with a happy Jason Kidd, an all-star Vince Carter, a healthy RJ, an improving Nenad Kristic, a brand new 6th man who can actually shoot and make threes, and hopefully a contributing power forward through FA, we can make a serious run at the title. If everything clicks, watch out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rahim or Swift would be an excellent pickup for the team. Both are 6'9, although Rahim has a little more bulk to him. While Swift has the edge in athleticism, (which is good when playing with Kidd) Rahim is the better all around player. I believe he ranked in the top 20 this year in both FGP and FTP. I would be happy with either guy, but i would definitly prefer Rahim. Lets see what happens...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim

AKA: Radio Rahim

Yo, put some more moots-arella on that mutha **** ... and make me a NJ Net!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim

AKA: Radio Rahim

Yo, put some more moots-arella on that mutha **** ... and make me a NJ Net!!

Hahaha. Nice line. Let's hope Shareef has a better ending with the Nets.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245

It's pretty funny. Last summer into the beginning of the season, it seemed the team had no direction. If it did have a direction, it was down. However, a few weeks later the Carter deal is swung. We lose RJ, but the team keeps fighting, all the way to the playoffs. We were supposed to be a joke, but not this team. As long as Rod Thorn is running the show, he will make sure that things stay on track. Now, with a happy Jason Kidd, an all-star Vince Carter, a healthy RJ, an improving Nenad Kristic, a brand new 6th man who can actually shoot and make threes, and hopefully a contributing power forward through FA, we can make a serious run at the title. If everything clicks, watch out.
    Amen Brother Bullitt ... couldn't have said it better myself

ROD THORN IS THE MAN ... and that Vince Carter HEIST saved the franchise

THAT TRADE/HEIST put us in a position to Get RIGHT BACK in contention with a few smart moves this off-season ... a 6th Man/Sniper who could get his 15-20 minutes spelling the 2 and the 3 {enter 6' 7" SG/SF Antoine Wright}, and an established PF to complete the puzzle {enter Stromile Swift or muh-man Radio Rahim }
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-29-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vona41

Rahim or Swift would be an excellent pickup for the team. Both are 6'9, although Rahim has a little more bulk to him. While Swift has the edge in athleticism, (which is good when playing with Kidd) Rahim is the better all around player. I believe he ranked in the top 20 this year in both FGP and FTP. I would be happy with either guy, but i would definitly prefer Rahim. Lets see what happens...
    Bullitt, the official Nets website is actually conducting a poll ... asking the fans which PF they would like the organization to sign ... drop in and cast a vote for Radio Rahim ... I DID

NJ Nets Homepage, PF Poll

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jumba, Donyell Marshall never played for the Nets

Not sure who you are thinking of, but it wasn't Donyell Marshall

BTW, I think it's Gonna be Rahim or Swift anyway ... Just a hunch
    I think he was thinking of Donny Marshall, affectionately referred to as "glue" as the last guy on the bench during his time here. I think he hosts a radio show up in Connecticut now.

BTW, is Udonis Haslem going to be kept by the Heat now that they drafted Simien? The only other free agents who caught my eye that I thought the Nets could be interested in this season are Ilgauskas(though I think the Cavs want to keep him now that Curry looks to be staying with Chicago) , Wagner(a total bust so far, but young if they want 1 last guard), and Knight(as a backup for Kidd as I think the Z experiment is done for and Jacques Vaugn is pretty old). Maybe Kittle retruns just for kicks

Also I heard Rod Thorn on the radio today and he said he never expected their pick to be there when they chose at 15. Likes him alot and he will see minutes at both the 2 and the 3 and they expect him to contribute ASAP. On the second rounder he said he will be playing in Serbia for this season and probably the following one as well. They will evaluate him in the summer. He's very raw and they hope he develops as fast as Kristic. Said he much more explosive, especially around the rim, than Kristic and a more physical player, but he needs to bulk up or hell be thrown around down there.

The one negative I got from it all was that he was looking for a guy to fit in with their 4 and 5 "rotation". When I hear those words I have a feeling they are looking for a bench guy to play 20-25 minutes rather than a starter playing 30-35. I know the team is sensitive about upsetting Jason Collins since he was there when they turned it around, but they wont be attracting a guy like Rahim with that mindset. In taht respect I think Swift is going to be the more likely option.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did any Nets fans checkout this video?

Antoine Wright looks Good

WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER - ANTOINE WRIGHT HIGHLIGHT VIDEO

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

Also I heard Rod Thorn on the radio today and he said he never expected their pick to be there when they chose at 15. Likes him alot and he will see minutes at both the 2 and the 3 and they expect him to contribute ASAP
    Jason, Ed Stefanski <sp?> was on with Mike and the Mad Dog today ... said the Nets were trying to trade up for Wright but they couldn't find any takers ... needless to say he was very pleasantly surprised when Wright slid to 15 anyway, which he never expected {as you pointed out}

But they must have wanted him pretty badly ... they made serious efforts to trade up and get him
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-29-2005 at 11:53 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ham you had a good pulse on the draft, I think everybody expected power forward to be investigated in FA, regardless of the draft, but I, among many others, expected some sort of PF to be the pick no matter what. Wright was rated like 9-13 on most boards, and we seemed to have him rated higher than that, which makes me feel that even though he didnt work out for the nets, we had a great read on him. As for free agency, the team flat-out refused marshall the last time he was in free agency, and his top skills, unreal 3pt shooting for a pf and good rebounding, have either been addressed in the draft or will be addressed in others. Abdur-Rahim has a great offensive game, good jump shot and great interior moves. He is an above average rebounder with good hands and a wide body. However, he has only played on laughably bad teams in his career and also has little instinct for and makes no commitment to defense, which can maybe be red flags. Also his price tag would probably be a minimum of about 8mill, which would eat all of our MLE and a good deal of our trade exemption as well, which would make it hard to sign any other role players. I think, (and most seem to agree with me) that Swift is the best value pick of the three. Hes a bit thin but a freakish athlete, above average rebounder, great finsisher, great athleticism, and long, shot-blocking arms. He will probably go for about 6 million, the same as udonis haslem likely will, and is a perfect fit for the nets up tempo offense with his athleticism and willingness to be a role player. Plus that leaves the money to sign one of these guys:

UDFA F/C Dwayne Jones - great great shotblocking prospect, no offensive game.
    UDFA C Ursan Kosalan (msp?) - nba ready tough guy.
    F/C Tony Battie - tough guy, good in a rotation, never really used all his talent and can be signed for relatively cheap.
    Tyson Chandler/Samuel Dalembert FC's - both are RFA and have clubs very very likely to match the offer, but it never hurts to put out a qualifying offer on this rising studs.
    Vladamir Radmonovic RFA - A tall but thin PF with great offensive skills and tricky defensive ability who Seattle is likely to let go so they can match offers for RFA PF Reggie Evans, who they are inexplicably high on.
    Michael Ruffin UFA - A wanderer who saw a little play last year, good 5th big kind of guy who can rebound with the best in the NBA but has few other good qualities.
    Lorenzen Wright C (likely one time exemption cut) - he might be out of our price range, but he can play 4 and 5 and rebound like a madman.

This years FA class, is deeper at PF than most other positions, particular PG, so it could be a place to get bigs on the semi cheap

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar

Ham you had a good pulse on the draft, I think everybody expected power forward to be investigated in FA, regardless of the draft, but I, among many others, expected some sort of PF to be the pick no matter what. Wright was rated like 9-13 on most boards, and we seemed to have him rated higher than that, which makes me feel that even though he didnt work out for the nets, we had a great read on him. As for free agency, the team flat-out refused marshall the last time he was in free agency, and his top skills, unreal 3pt shooting for a pf and good rebounding, have either been addressed in the draft or will be addressed in others. Abdur-Rahim has a great offensive game, good jump shot and great interior moves. He is an above average rebounder with good hands and a wide body. However, he has only played on laughably bad teams in his career and also has little instinct for and makes no commitment to defense, which can maybe be red flags. Also his price tag would probably be a minimum of about 8mill, which would eat all of our MLE and a good deal of our trade exemption as well, which would make it hard to sign any other role players. I think, (and most seem to agree with me) that Swift is the best value pick of the three. Hes a bit thin but a freakish athlete, above average rebounder, great finsisher, great athleticism, and long, shot-blocking arms. He will probably go for about 6 million, the same as udonis haslem likely will, and is a perfect fit for the nets up tempo offense with his athleticism and willingness to be a role player. Plus that leaves the money to sign one of these guys:

F/C Tony Battie - tough guy, good in a rotation, never really used all his talent and can be signed for relatively cheap.
    Tyson Chandler/Samuel Dalembert FC's - both are RFA and have clubs very very likely to match the offer, but it never hurts to put out a qualifying offer on this rising studs.
    Vladamir Radmonovic RFA - A tall but thin PF with great offensive skills and tricky defensive ability who Seattle is likely to let go so they can match offers for RFA PF Reggie Evans, who they are inexplicably high on.
    Michael Ruffin UFA - A wanderer who saw a little play last year, good 5th big kind of guy who can rebound with the best in the NBA but has few other good qualities.
    Lorenzen Wright C (likely one time exemption cut) - he might be out of our price range, but he can play 4 and 5 and rebound like a madman.

This years FA class, is deeper at PF than most other positions, particular PG, so it could be a place to get bigs on the semi cheap
    Great Post, HB ... I appreciate the opening compliment and the feeling is absolutely mutual ... sounds too me like you have a darn good read on the situation going forward

I really have to agree with you on Swift ... my initial inclination has been to rate Rahim #1 all along, but there has also been this little voice in the back of my head that keeps whispering "Stromile Swift" in my ear

Why so?

Well you nailed many of the reasons in your post ... I think his athleticism makes him a really good fit for the Nets, perhaps even more than Rahim, and Swift would likely leave us with a few more dollars to address other depth issues as well ... and while I must confess ignorance to some degree as to who is the better defender of the two, I will certainly take your word on this because Rahim has never struck me as a particularly adept defender on those occasions I have seen him play {though as you point out, his offensive game is quite impressive}

Anyhow, I am one who would ordinarily sacrifice a little defense when choosing between two players if one is clearly a far superior offensive player than the other, but the other reason I am very intrigued by Swift is that I DO NOT believe that offensive disparity is so cut & dry between Rahim and Swift, IN SPITE OF THE NUMBERS {which are clearly in Rahim's favor}, and that is not so clear to me for two reasons .....

1. Swift is an emerging young player who may JUST NOW be coming into his prime ... it is entirely concievable too me that we could be getting this player just as he is readying to hit his stride/peak, not only as a defender/rebounder, but as an offensive player as well ... and it is not uncommon for a PF {or Center} to need a few years in the league before he really peaks as a player

2. As you astutely alluded too in your fine post, I can absolutely see a player like Stromile Swift {i.e. an outstanding athlete} really excelling offensively with a PG like Jason Kidd ... seems like a perfect marriage too me ... and with so much of the defensive attention that will be paid to Vince Carter and RJ to a slightly lesser degree, even Kristic as he continues to emerge, this is a team where Swift's offensive game can really flourish just as he is hitting his peak

And of course you couldn't be more correct ... it sure would be nice if it worked out that way with Swift {AND IT CAN}, but for around 2 million less than we would have spent on Abdur-Rahim ... and the added benifit is we pick up like 5 years in the deal as well, with Swift being the younger guy

IN SHORT, you have sold me on Stromile Swift ... hook, line and sinker ... partly because of that little voice in my ear, and partly because you offered JUST THE NUDGE I NEEDED with your very astute observations
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-30-2005 at 03:22 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

F/C Tony Battie - tough guy, good in a rotation, never really used all his talent and can be signed for relatively cheap
    BTW HB, you provided an excellent list of other role players we can sign should we bring in Swift and have a few bucks left to spend on depth

Anyway, of those you listed this is the man I like for the Nets ... only 29 years old, nice size {6' 11"/245}, can take some minutes off the bench at PF and C {much like Wright, I love those roles players who can backup more than one position}, and most importantly {and the reason I prefer Battie}, he has been through the playoff wars and proven to be a nice playoff performer for the most part, or a Guy who RAISES HIS GAME when the stakes are raised

I like that about Battie ... I've seen him Give the Nets a tough time in the playoffs, so I know he can BRING IT off the bench when the stakes are raised ... and IMO that is a Good fit for the Nets because we are a NOW TEAM with designs on a playoff run this year ... and he can score under the basket as well, has a pretty decent low-post game, certainly enough for a role player off the bench

Lotta BIG MEN who come off the bench in the NBA are strictly "intangible players" ... do alot of the dirty work and intangible things that can help you win games ... but too many of them cannot score a lick ... give you virtually nothing offensively ... couldn't hit water if they fell from a boat

NOT THE CASE with Tony Battie ... he can at least give you SOMETHING offensively ... I like that in a backup BIG MAN
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-30-2005 at 03:48 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't combine the trade exception with anything. It can only be used in a trade (ie TE for a player) We can't even combine a player of our own with the TE to make a trade. My basic point is, there is zero chance we get SAR.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    You can't combine the trade exception with anything. It can only be used in a trade (ie TE for a player) We can't even combine a player of our own with the TE to make a trade. My basic point is, there is zero chance we get SAR.
    The Nets are going to have to wait and see what the market is for Rahim. If he is willing to play for the MLE, in which he would probably sacrifice 3 million this season, the Nets are a contender for him. I think his first preference would be Cleveland who has the money under the cap to spend, something alot of teams probably will not this season(I think most winning teams are all at least a few million over the cap---Seattle may also be under but once they sign Allen will be in much tougher shape). The other thing they could try to do is use the TE with someone like a Ron Mercer and a draft pick and try to work out a sign and trade with the Blazers. Their TE has to be used by the end of July or I believe they lose it.