Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 193

Thread: OT: NBA Draft

  1. #161
    [QUOTE] Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    You can't combine the trade exception with anything. It can only be used in a trade (ie TE for a player) We can't even combine a player of our own with the TE to make a trade. My basic point is, there is zero chance we get SAR.

    The Nets are going to have to wait and see what the market is for Rahim. If he is willing to play for the MLE, in which he would probably sacrifice 3 million this season, the Nets are a contender for him. I think his first preference would be Cleveland who has the money under the cap to spend, something alot of teams probably will not this season(I think most winning teams are all at least a few million over the cap---Seattle may also be under but once they sign Allen will be in much tougher shape). The other thing they could try to do is use the TE with someone like a Ron Mercer and a draft pick and try to work out a sign and trade with the Blazers. Their TE has to be used by the end of July or I believe they lose it [QUOTE]

    Good point, i've always been a bit confused about how the TE works. The good thing about it is that there are several RFA who we could concievably go after, Dalembert,Evans, Radmonovic, Haslem, Chandler et al, so it isnt inconveiable that we sign and trade for one of them as opposed to signing outright. Also, Theo Ratliff is rumored to be cut under the allan houston rule, and even though he is old and has no knees he would make a great signing for the vet min.

    Ham, about abdur-rahims defense. I also have never seen him do anything all that terrible in the games i have seen, but he is a bit of a tweener not a great athlete, and he played on teams where defensive intensity was largely an option. Its possible that if he isnt asked to do as much offensively he would be a much better defender.

  2. #162
    Just took this from the Official Nets Website .. free agency starts on friday

    The Nets are not through adding depth to the roster this offseason. NBA teams can begin negotiating with free agents on July 1st and New Jersey is expected to be one of the more active teams in wooing players to East Rutherford.

    “You never know what you’re going to get,” Thorn said about free agency. “Hopefully we can address our front court issues very soon.”

    The free agents most often mentioned are Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Stromile Swift and Donyell Marshall.

    The Nets, who are currently over the salary cap, have both a $4.9 mid-level exception and a $4.9 trade exception to work with. And when asked if there is a possibility the team could land two prize free agents, Thorn said “it’s possible to get two free agents.”

    Coach Frank said about the pending free agency, “We have targeted guys who can get us back to the elite level we were at prior to this year. Without a doubt, that is going to be a focal point and hopefully we can get something done.”

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Just took this from the Official Nets Website .. free agency starts on friday
    I don't think you can sign or make trades until mid July. At least I thought I read that about a week ago...

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart

    I don't think you can sign or make trades until mid July. At least I thought I read that about a week ago...
    CM, friday is July 1st ... that's when free agency starts

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    The Nets are going to have to wait and see what the market is for Rahim. If he is willing to play for the MLE, in which he would probably sacrifice 3 million this season, the Nets are a contender for him. I think his first preference would be Cleveland who has the money under the cap to spend, something alot of teams probably will not this season(I think most winning teams are all at least a few million over the cap---Seattle may also be under but once they sign Allen will be in much tougher shape). The other thing they could try to do is use the TE with someone like a Ron Mercer and a draft pick and try to work out a sign and trade with the Blazers. Their TE has to be used by the end of July or I believe they lose it.
    There is zero chance SAR takes that big of a hit to play for us. He's a 20 and 9 player at worst right now.

    Our only shot would've been to re-up Cliffy, and offer him in a trade with the Clippers pick (more valuable now that they drafted a young Euro) and Planinic... not that it's equal value, but they'll probably lose him anyway - so SAR might be willing for a sign and trade.

    Now, the options are limited. We can offer the MLE to an unrestricted PF, but so can everyone else and there's not a big reason to choose NJ over anyone else. I'm somewhat worried.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Just took this from the Official Nets Website .. free agency starts on friday
    Thorn may have been referring to the MLE and the LLE (Low level exception). It's just like the MLE but for 1 mil. It looks like Vaughn is getting re-upped, and the Nets signed Anthony Roberson out of UF to the summer league, so the backcourt is probably set unless the Nets steal a guy like Jay Williams for 1 mil. I would've lived to get Earl Watson or Brevin Knight and have a SUPER UNIT backcourt of Kidd, Carter, Jefferson, Wright, Watson, and maybe Planinic. But we'll see.

  7. #167
    [QUOTE=hamburglar][QUOTE] Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    You can't combine the trade exception with anything. It can only be used in a trade (ie TE for a player) We can't even combine a player of our own with the TE to make a trade. My basic point is, there is zero chance we get SAR.

    The Nets are going to have to wait and see what the market is for Rahim. If he is willing to play for the MLE, in which he would probably sacrifice 3 million this season, the Nets are a contender for him. I think his first preference would be Cleveland who has the money under the cap to spend, something alot of teams probably will not this season(I think most winning teams are all at least a few million over the cap---Seattle may also be under but once they sign Allen will be in much tougher shape). The other thing they could try to do is use the TE with someone like a Ron Mercer and a draft pick and try to work out a sign and trade with the Blazers. Their TE has to be used by the end of July or I believe they lose it

    Good point, i've always been a bit confused about how the TE works. The good thing about it is that there are several RFA who we could concievably go after, Dalembert,Evans, Radmonovic, Haslem, Chandler et al, so it isnt inconveiable that we sign and trade for one of them as opposed to signing outright. Also, Theo Ratliff is rumored to be cut under the allan houston rule, and even though he is old and has no knees he would make a great signing for the vet min.

    Ham, about abdur-rahims defense. I also have never seen him do anything all that terrible in the games i have seen, but he is a bit of a tweener not a great athlete, and he played on teams where defensive intensity was largely an option. Its possible that if he isnt asked to do as much offensively he would be a much better defender.

    I don't think the Nets can go after RFA until the end. Too much of a risk. If a RFA signs an offer sheet, we tie up our money in one guy for a week while everyone else signs elswhere, and we can only offer the MLE so it will be easy for other teams to match.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound

    I don't think the Nets can go after RFA until the end. Too much of a risk. If a RFA signs an offer sheet, we tie up our money in one guy for a week while everyone else signs elswhere, and we can only offer the MLE so it will be easy for other teams to match.
    Completely agree, BB ... we have to focus on UFA's

  9. #169
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound][QUOTE=hamburglar]
    Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    You can't combine the trade exception with anything. It can only be used in a trade (ie TE for a player) We can't even combine a player of our own with the TE to make a trade. My basic point is, there is zero chance we get SAR.

    The Nets are going to have to wait and see what the market is for Rahim. If he is willing to play for the MLE, in which he would probably sacrifice 3 million this season, the Nets are a contender for him. I think his first preference would be Cleveland who has the money under the cap to spend, something alot of teams probably will not this season(I think most winning teams are all at least a few million over the cap---Seattle may also be under but once they sign Allen will be in much tougher shape). The other thing they could try to do is use the TE with someone like a Ron Mercer and a draft pick and try to work out a sign and trade with the Blazers. Their TE has to be used by the end of July or I believe they lose it


    I don't think the Nets can go after RFA until the end. Too much of a risk. If a RFA signs an offer sheet, we tie up our money in one guy for a week while everyone else signs elswhere, and we can only offer the MLE so it will be easy for other teams to match.

    I would agree they have to wait until the end for a RFA. I think your money is tied up for 15 days which in essence takes you out of free agency. On Rahim, though, do you think he is going to go for a big contract to a bad team or for the MLE on a team where he will start and have a chance to win? The teams under the cap right now which could offer a good deal are the Hawks, Bulls, Cavs, Clippers, Bucks, Hornets, Sonics, and Wizards. There may be a few others right around the cap number. You could probably throw out the Hawks, Bulls, Clippers, and Hornets as teams that would want him or that he would consider. I'm not sure the Bucks would make a move on him and once Allen is reupped Im not sure what the cap situation would be in Seattle or if they would wantto break the bank this offseason. Wizards and Cavs I think would definitely be interested. Anywhere else he should have to sign for the MLE. I wouldnt call it likely for him to sign for that but I dont think its an out of this world possibility for him to sign for it and come play with Kidd in the hopes of competeing for a title.

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound

    ... and the Nets signed Anthony Roberson out of UF to the summer league
    Just caught that, BB ... Roberson was a nice UDFA signing!

    PG ANTHONY ROBERSON

    VITALS: 6-2, 180, Florida

    OVERVIEW:
    A two-time first team All-Southeastern Conference performer, Roberson was runner-up for SEC player of the Year as a junior this season. The point guard averaged 17.5 points and led the conference in scoring during league games at 20.8. Roberson knocked down 94 3-pointers during the season and has 267 in his three-year career - second most in school history and seven shy of Brett Nelson. Roberson also converted a SEC-leading 90 percent from the line and is the school's all-time leader at 86.4 percent.

    Roberson has a sweet shooting stroke and ranges out to the NBA 3-point line. He was a big-time scorer for Florida, a good team from what many regard as the best conference in the nation. Roberson is not only quick but also has an amazingly quick release on his shot coming off screens. With his quickness, he will be able to get off shots in the NBA despite his size.
    NBAdraft.net

    Strengths:
    Great shooter with unlimited range. Sensational ball handling skills along with great agility and athleticism. Killer crossover with the ability to create off the dribble. Quick first step. Good free throw shooter. Good leaping ability for rebounds. Solid defender who understands the concepts. High basketball IQ. Big heart. Most consistent player on his college team.

    Weaknesses: More of a two guard but is too short to play it in the NBA (6’2”). Doesn’t distribute the ball as well as you would like for a point guard, but has shown improvement in court vision. Is hesitant to drive it to the rim despite a blazing first step. Shot selection is questionable at times.
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-01-2005 at 12:39 AM.

  11. #171
    [QUOTE=Jason423][QUOTE=BrooklynBound]
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar


    I would agree they have to wait until the end for a RFA. I think your money is tied up for 15 days which in essence takes you out of free agency. On Rahim, though, do you think he is going to go for a big contract to a bad team or for the MLE on a team where he will start and have a chance to win? The teams under the cap right now which could offer a good deal are the Hawks, Bulls, Cavs, Clippers, Bucks, Hornets, Sonics, and Wizards. There may be a few others right around the cap number. You could probably throw out the Hawks, Bulls, Clippers, and Hornets as teams that would want him or that he would consider. I'm not sure the Bucks would make a move on him and once Allen is reupped Im not sure what the cap situation would be in Seattle or if they would wantto break the bank this offseason. Wizards and Cavs I think would definitely be interested. Anywhere else he should have to sign for the MLE. I wouldnt call it likely for him to sign for that but I dont think its an out of this world possibility for him to sign for it and come play with Kidd in the hopes of competeing for a title.

    I think he takes the money and runs... especially for a team like Cleveland, they are on the way up, although they may want Redd more.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Just caught that, BB ... Roberson was a nice UDFA signing!

    That's what happens when too many kids declare... if Roberson declared next year in a draft with no HS kids, he'd be a 1st rounder.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound

    That's what happens when too many kids declare... if Roberson declared next year in a draft with no HS kids, he'd be a 1st rounder.
    Kudos to Rod Thorn and Ed Stafanski {what else is new?} ... excellent UDFA Get

  14. #174
    Normally i think its pretty cliche and selfish of fans to say that a guy would play for less money for their franchise to 'have a shot at a ring', but in the case of Abdur-Rahim it may work. The man has already played out a max contract, so he has enough money to finance himself and a couple more generations of Abdur-Rahims, so he may value the dollar less than he did several years ago. Also, even moreso than other players, Rahim's teams have been BAD. Really really terrible. He has never played on any team over .500, and his career winning % is in the low .300s. With the length of his career, that is almost inconceivable. However, whether its his fault or not, Reef has played *** basketball for a long time, and may legitimately want to taste success for the MLE. In this case, the nets have some stuff going for them and against them.
    Against - Every team has a MLE. Why do the Nets offer more appeal than, say, San Antonio, where he could get PT and basically garauntee himself a ring. With simple mathematics alone, they dont. However
    For - Reef and Kidd have a little bit of a connection. Both were Golden Bears, Cali boys, and, I think, teammates. Players who play with Jason Kidd once want to play with Jason Kidd again.
    NJ is also a fairly large market near the chicest city in the world. He can earn back all his money and more in endorsements, and have a taste of the celebrity and nightlife you only get by playing in this area. His wife may have a say in that too.
    Though the gap has lessened substantially, the East is still a more guard oriented, smaller, conference. Reef isnt old but he isnt young for an NBA player, and not banging with the wests much larger and imposing PFs as often has some advantages. Plus he gets to humiliate the knicks 4x a year, which is always a good draw.

    Basically, even though NJ doesnt offer the best of anything, it perhaps offers a wider array of benefits than any other team in contention for him would. If he decides to go for the MLE, we are as good a choice as any.

  15. #175
    Roberson is a nice one. Send him to the NBDL for a bit to develop some real PG instincts and handles and we could have quite a talent on our hands, even if we wont have anywhere to play him.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar

    Roberson is a nice one. Send him to the NBDL for a bit to develop some real PG instincts and handles and we could have quite a talent on our hands, even if we wont have anywhere to play him.
    Actually I don't view Vaughn as a lock to make this team as the backup PG, and his salary {like $750,000} makes him cuttable if Roberson should happen to shine

    But I agree, HB ... at the very least we should toss Roberson in the NBDL if he needs another year to Groom as a backup to Kidd

  17. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar

    Normally i think its pretty cliche and selfish of fans to say that a guy would play for less money for their franchise to 'have a shot at a ring', but in the case of Abdur-Rahim it may work. The man has already played out a max contract, so he has enough money to finance himself and a couple more generations of Abdur-Rahims, so he may value the dollar less than he did several years ago. Also, even moreso than other players, Rahim's teams have been BAD. Really really terrible. He has never played on any team over .500, and his career winning % is in the low .300s. With the length of his career, that is almost inconceivable. However, whether its his fault or not, Reef has played *** basketball for a long time, and may legitimately want to taste success for the MLE. In this case, the nets have some stuff going for them and against them.
    Against - Every team has a MLE. Why do the Nets offer more appeal than, say, San Antonio, where he could get PT and basically garauntee himself a ring. With simple mathematics alone, they dont. However
    For - Reef and Kidd have a little bit of a connection. Both were Golden Bears, Cali boys, and, I think, teammates. Players who play with Jason Kidd once want to play with Jason Kidd again.
    NJ is also a fairly large market near the chicest city in the world. He can earn back all his money and more in endorsements, and have a taste of the celebrity and nightlife you only get by playing in this area. His wife may have a say in that too.
    Though the gap has lessened substantially, the East is still a more guard oriented, smaller, conference. Reef isnt old but he isnt young for an NBA player, and not banging with the wests much larger and imposing PFs as often has some advantages. Plus he gets to humiliate the knicks 4x a year, which is always a good draw.

    Basically, even though NJ doesnt offer the best of anything, it perhaps offers a wider array of benefits than any other team in contention for him would. If he decides to go for the MLE, we are as good a choice as any.
    Here's the move, HB ...

    TODAY we offer Swift and Rahim the same contract ... the highest we can go for a Starting PF ... and we tell each man that we offered the same money to each of them, and we will sign the first one to take it

    And then we tell both men that if neither takes the offer in 24 Hours, we will also offer Donyell Marshall a contract ... then it becomes the first of the three to take the offer

    That's how you Get something done ASAP ... ahead of the pack
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-01-2005 at 01:13 AM.

  18. #178
    That would be the perfect thing to do, only I would one up it and offer all three the same on the same day
    Thorn and Stefanski shouldnt be sleeping much tonight. A couple of men should have those contracts pre drawn, strike while the iron is hot. The teams that CAN offer more money than us, generally have some of there own to take care of, ala Redd/Allen/Chandler et al. The only two teams that can make a real splash real early are the Hawks and the Hornets, and um, I think Reef may be tired of playing for terrible teams. We also have a ton of UDFAs that look promising, Roberson was a nice start, but Lawrence Roberts/Randolph Morris/Dwayne Jones et al could also be compelling, I hope we get one of them. As an aside, where did you see the roberson news, I cant find it anywhere.

  19. #179
    Frank and Rahim are tight!!!!!



    And it should be noted, Fred Kerber called the Antoine Wright selection the nite before the draft ... only person on earth who nailed that one on the nose


    PS. Roberson confirmation at the bottom of this column



    NY POST

    IN JERSEY, COULD BE NEW SHAREEF IN TOWN

    By FRED KERBER


    When he was laboring in the NBA's Land of the Lost — a/k/a Vancouver — Shareef Abdur-Rahim struck up a close working relationship with an assistant on coach Brian Hill's staff.

    That assistant was named Lawrence Frank.

    According to Abdur-Rahim's attorney, that friendship between the player and the man who's now the Nets' head coach could prove invaluable to the Nets on the free-agent market.

    "That could be a huge factor," Aaron Goodwin, who last year tried to broker a trade to get Abdur-Rahim from Portland to the Nets, said yesterday. "I would say the Nets' chances [of signing him] are good. He likes the Nets. A year ago we tried like heck to get something done."


    Abdur-Rahim is one of the prized targets for the Nets as free-agent negotiations officially opened at 12:01 a.m. today. With the moratorium in place over ratification of the new collective-bargaining agreement, teams will not be able to sign free agents for three weeks.

    After drafting swingman Antoine Wright, who heads an impressive summer league roster that starts play in Las Vegas on Wednesday, the Nets want to address their size need through free agency. Abdur-Rahim, Donyell Marshall and Stromile Swift are the top three on the Nets' wish list.

    "We are going to address our frontcourt issues as quickly as we can," said team president Rod Thorn.

    Abdur-Rahim, also expected to be courted by the Spurs, Heat, Wizards and Knicks, made $14.6 million last season but will take a massive cut. He wants a winning situation — his nine seasons have produced a 216-492 record (.305) despite career averages of 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds. The only winning he has known was a 17-15 stint with Portland after an in-season trade from Atlanta.

    The Nets have the $4.9 million mid-level exception for teams over the salary cap and another $4.9 million trade exception acquired in the Kerry Kittles deal. That trade exception, desirable because teams over the cap need not take a player, must be used by July 29, one year from the Kittles trade.

    And the Nets, who established depth as a priority, will look beyond power forwards. Even with Jacque Vaughn back, the Nets want to add depth at point guard. They could consider Miami's Keyon Dooling, who'll opt out of the last year of his contract ($807,506). Another to look at is Milt Palacio. Utah swingman Raja Bell also is on the depth wish list.

    "We've targeted since the offseason guys that we think can help us get back to the elite level we were at," said Frank. "We need to continue to bolster our depth. It's not about necessarily where you're not happy with what you have. But we need to get more or better. Where we've consistently gotten hurt is ... playing Jason [Kidd], Vince [Carter] an unbelievable amount of minutes."

    The Nets formed their summer roster with two guys they truly felt would be drafted, Clemson forward Sharrod Ford and Florida guard Anthony Roberson.

    They landed experienced NBA guys with 6-foot-11 Ken Johnson, late of Miami, and 6-10 journeyman Jelani McCoy. Other familiar names are Awvee Storey, with the Nets last year, and 6-7 Sam Clancy, an '02 Sixer draft pick.
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-01-2005 at 02:16 AM.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

    The Nets have the $4.9 million mid-level exception for teams over the salary cap and another $4.9 million trade exception acquired in the Kerry Kittles deal. That trade exception, desirable because teams over the cap need not take a player, must be used by July 29, one year from the Kittles trade.
    BTW, this indicates that the Nets "CAN" use that trade exception money on a FA, but they must do so by July 29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us