Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: NBA Draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Good Post, Jason ... the kid from UConn is a definite possibility

Another kid they may consider is Hakim Warrick ... cause he can really get moving in the transition game with J-Kidd and do some damage on those ally-oops

But can he shoot worth a $hit?
    If the Nets were looking for a bench guy that isnt ready to play now with a chance to be a very athletic guy down the line who can play the 3 or 4 i think they would go for him. I actually dont think he will be there when the Nets choose, but they are looking for someone to help more or less now and Warrick isnt that guy, especially coming off the bench where most of the time he wouldnt play with Kidd and as you said he cant shoot a lick. What the team desperately needs is a guy to play the 4 or 5 to split time with Jason Collins. Collins is suited to start when they need a defensive presence in there against some of the better centers in the NBA, but you get nothing else out of him during these games. He doesnt score. Hes not a good rebounder. He clutters the court on offense. And on and on and on. For the team to win he eventually has to move to the bench especially since Kristic developed so rapidly last season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very hopeful Sean May drops to 15 and the Nets take him. He would fit in perfectly as he would give them some size up front, can run the floor, can rebound and can knock down the 17-18 footer. Add May to the big 3 and the development of Krstic and they have an outstanding starting 5 and barring injuries should be an Eastern Conference contender again after a year off.

I also think Milwaukee will take Marvin Williams w/ the top pick, they will find it's too hard to pass on a talent like that and will take the potential over the proven in Bogut.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this mock draft on NBAdraft.net

2005 Mock Draft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Updated: 6.25.05
    1. Milwaukee Andrew Bogut 7-0 251 C Utah So. 31. Atlanta
    Monta Ellis 6-3 177 PG MS HSSr.
    2. Atlanta
    Marvin Williams 6-8 228 SF UNC Fr. 32. *LA Clippers Julius Hodge 6-7 202 SG/SF NC State Sr.
    3. Portland Chris Paul 6-1 178 PG Wake Forest So. 33. NewOrleans Ryan Gomes 6-8 248 SF Providence Sr.
    4. NewOrleans Deron Williams 6-3 202 PG Illinois Jr. 34. Utah Salim Stoudamire 6-1 186 SG Ariz. Sr.
    5. Charlotte Martell Webster 6-7 230 SG/SF WA HSSr. 35. Portland Mile Ilic 7-1 230 C Serbia 1984
    6. Utah Danny Granger 6-9 225 SF New Mex. Sr. 36. Milwaukee Filiberto Rivera 6-2 175 PG UTEP Sr.
    7. Toronto Antoine Wright 6-6 203 SG Tex. A&M Jr. 37. *Lakers
    Randolph Morris 6-10 266 C Kentucky Fr.
    8. New York Channing Frye 6-11 244 C Arizona Sr. 38. *Orlando Dwayne Jones 6-11 225 C St Joseph's Jr.
    9. Golden St. Charlie Villanueva 6-10 237 PF Conn So. 39. LA Lakers Nate Robinson 5-9 181 PG Wash. Jr.
    10. LA Lakers Gerald Green 6-7 192 SF TX HSSr. 40. Golden St. Linas Kleiza 6-8 245 SF/PF Missouri So.
    11. Orlando Raymond Felton 6-1 200 PG UNC Jr. 41. *Toronto Ronny Turiaf 6-9 238 PF Gonzaga Sr.
    12. LA Clippers Yaroslav Korolev 6-9 220 SF Rus. 1987 42. *Golden St.
    Kennedy Winston 6-6 220 SG Ala. Jr.
    13. *Charlotte Fran Vazquez 6-10 230 PF Spain 1983 43. New Jersey Travis Diener 6-1 165 PG Marquette Sr.
    14. Minnesota Joey Graham 6-6 217 SF Oklahoma St.Sr. 44. *Orlando MickaŽl Gelabale 6-7 190 SF Fra. 1983
    15. New Jersey Hakim Warrick 6-8 215 SF/PF Syracuse Sr. 45. *Philly Ian Mahinmi 6-9 230 PF France 1986
    16. *Toronto Andrew Bynum 7-0 280 C UConn HSSr. 46. Indiana
    Jason Maxiell 6-7 240 PF Cincinnati Sr.
    17. Indiana
    Francisco Garcia 6-7 190 SG Louisville Jr. 47. Minnesota David Lee 6-9 230 PF Florida Sr.
    18. Boston Roko Ukic 6-5 185 PG Croatia 1984 48. *Seattle Bojan Popovic 6-3 190 PG Serbia 1983
    19. Memphis Sean May 6-8 260 PF North Carolina Jr. 49. Washington Daniel Ewing 6-3 180 PG Duke Sr.
    20. *Denver M. Andriuskevicius 7-3 240 PF Lith. 1986 50. Boston Matt Walsh 6-6 205 SG Florida Jr.
    21. *Phoenix Johan Petro 7-0 260 C France 1986 51. *Utah Dijon Thompson 6-8 209 SG UCLA Sr.
    22. Denver
    CJ Miles 6-6 210 SG TX HSSr. 52. Denver
    Louis Williams 6-2 175 SG GA HSSr.
    23. Sacramento Rashad McCants 6-4 201 SG UNC Jr. 53. *Boston Angelo Gigli 6-10 220 SF/PF Italy 1983
    24. Houston Ike Diogu 6-8 255 PF Arizona St. Jr. 54. *New York Sean Banks 6-7 207 SF Memphis So.
    25. Seattle Chris Taft 6-10 260 PF/C Pittsburgh So. 55. Seattle Brandon Bass 6-7 252 PF LSU So.
    26. Detroit Ersan Ilyasova 6-9 209 SF Turkey 1987 56. Detroit Tre Simmons 6-6 200 SG Washington Sr.
    27. *Utah Jarrett Jack 6-4 198 PG Georgia Tech Jr. 57. *Phoenix Donell Taylor 6-6 180 PG/SG UAB Sr.
    28. San Antonio Luther Head 6-3 179 SG Illinois Sr. 58. *Toronto Stefano Mancinelli 6-8 216 SF Italy 1983
    29. Miami Wayne Simien 6-8 256 PF Kansas Sr. 59. *Atlanta Marcin Gortat 7-0 240 C Poland 1984
    30. *New York Andray Blatche 7-0 230 PF CT HSSr. 60. *Detroit Eddie Basden 6-5 210 SG Charlotte Sr.

If May drops to the Nets I'll do cartwheels and somersaults........and for a big man, that's not easy!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Knicks as so many have stated get rid of Allan Houston,who will replace him as the pure shooting Guard.Please don`t say Crawford and expect to be taken seriously.What prospect either state side or overseas can the Team snag with that 2nd round pick or the 30th pick who is a Pure spot up shooter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quentin Richardson will be the guy to replace Houston

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrud
    Quentin Richardson will be the guy to replace Houston
    He`s a scorer,not a Pure shooter.The problem with Scorers is they need a lot of shots for their stats to look decent.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The SI mock has Sean May falling to the Nets at 15. That would be incredibly lucky...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm praying for May at 15 for us. He is a proven winner, and has an NBA pedigree. He also brings a post game that is non-existent on our team. We needed a big body, and he is one of the tops that is hopefully available. Imagine a starting lineup of Kidd, Carter, Jefferson, May, and Krstic. Unstoppable. If he is taken I would look to Warrick or Villanueva.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Heat will take everyone in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The craziest thing just happened on ESPN.com to me. They had a chat with Andrew Bogut, and my question was actually taken. Here it is:

Scott (New Jersey)
    Andrew, your qualities in passing and shooting make you a very unique big player, as compared to more of the dominant power guys. How do you see your attributes sizing up to the likes of Shaq and Ben Wallace?

ANDREW BOGUT (UTAH)
    I I'm more versatile than those big guys with big bodies. But Shaq is no doubt one of the greatest players of all-time, and Ben Wallace is such a great defender. I think my strength is probably versatility as a big man, I can shoot, but my ball handling and passing game is solid.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan Gomes to the Knicks at 30

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245

I'm praying for May at 15 for us. He is a proven winner, and has an NBA pedigree. He also brings a post game that is non-existent on our team. We needed a big body, and he is one of the tops that is hopefully available. Imagine a starting lineup of Kidd, Carter, Jefferson, May, and Krstic. Unstoppable. If he is taken I would look to Warrick or Villanueva.
    I'm with you all the way, Bullitt ... reason I projected Diogu is because I do not believe Sean May will still be on the board at 15 ... I know some mocks have him on the board in that spot, but I don't believe it will actually happen

BUT IF IT DOES ... I'm with you Guys all the way on May

PS. That Starting 5 would be sweet!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you all the way, Bullitt ... reason I projected Diogu is because I do not believe Sean May will still be on the board at 15 ... I know some mocks have him on the board in that spot, but I don't believe it will actually happen

BUT IF IT DOES ... I'm with you Guys all the way on May

PS. That Starting 5 would be sweet!!
    I don't know if Big Ike will be around at 15 either. Maybe Warrick or Villanueva are possibilities.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245
    I don't know if Big Ike will be around at 15 either. Maybe Warrick or Villanueva are possibilities.

Villanueva will be a total bust. Gomes will be 10x the pro

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a heads up for the nite owls who are interested in the NBA draft

NBA draft preview tonite on ESPN 2 ... one hour preview starts at midnite

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually think May wil be around when the Nets pick, I just dont think they would take him. Id be worried about him looking like a balloon in a year or two. He works really hard and seems to have that basketball smarts that so many guys dont have, but my feeling on him is a good college player that maybe can be an ok pro at best. Im not sure his post up game is going to translate into pro success. He's too slow to guard the three and too short(and probably slow) to guard the 4. He would probably be a better rebounder than anyone on the Nets, however. I would think hes a risky pick who could end up being a very good pro or just nothing more than a bench player.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

I actually think May wil be around when the Nets pick, I just dont think they would take him. Id be worried about him looking like a balloon in a year or two. He works really hard and seems to have that basketball smarts that so many guys dont have, but my feeling on him is a good college player that maybe can be an ok pro at best. Im not sure his post up game is going to translate into pro success. He's too slow to guard the three and too short(and probably slow) to guard the 4. He would probably be a better rebounder than anyone on the Nets, however. I would think hes a risky pick who could end up being a very good pro or just nothing more than a bench player.
    Jason, if May, Diogu, Warrick and Villanueva were all on the board at 15, who would you choose for the Nets?

PS. If Fran Vazquez is there as well, would you take him over any of the four?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diogu > May... slightly better post skills, a monster rebounder, was the only option on his team and still produced, and has a longer standing reach/wingspan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, if May, Diogu, Warrick and Villanueva were all on the board at 15, who would you choose for the Nets?

PS. If Fran Vazquez is there as well, would you take him over any of the four?
    I'd probably take Villanueva. Ive never seen Vazquez so I really have no idea about what he brings to the table other than what I read online. It sounds as if there is little chance he would fall to 15.

Now I have to admit to being a bit biased about Villanueva since I watched him a few times in high school and followed him before college. I think he would have been better off waiting another year at UConn, but I think its been his dream to be in the draft since 2002. I really like his passing ability to go along with his height and good ball handling skills. He would be a nice fit for the Nets and give them some height down low that can rebound and block shots. I think he would be very well suited to be a good bench player, for a unit that hasnt really had that spark since Jefferson started, until(if) he is ready to contribute as a starter. His biggest detriment seems to be his attitude, but Im not sure if he is lazy and feels he can just get by on his ability or if he just has been lost on his NBA dream the last 2 years. Given the Nets chemistry I think he would not be a problem to work with in the NBA.

Diogu is probably more ready to start now than Villanueva. He has better range and is a more complete scorer right now. Id be a little worried about the height, but I think his wingspan measured something like 7'3" so it should not be a problem. He is also a good passer and very strong, which should make him to be able to really use that wingspan effectively and box up guys a few inches bigger than him. He can probably be more of a post presence right now and he is a very hard worker. Id certainly give him major consideration. If he had Villanuevas height I think he would be a sure top 8 pick.

I dont think I'd even consider the other two. Im too worried about Mays weight and I never saw in him that explosiveness I think you need to play down there in the NBA. Warrick is a project and not someone the Nets could use unless they have no intentions of a taking a guy that could make the starting 5 by 2006.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423

I'd probably take Villanueva. Ive never seen Vazquez so I really have no idea about what he brings to the table other than what I read online. It sounds as if there is little chance he would fall to 15.

Now I have to admit to being a bit biased about Villanueva since I watched him a few times in high school and followed him before college. I think he would have been better off waiting another year at UConn, but I think its been his dream to be in the draft since 2002. I really like his passing ability to go along with his height and good ball handling skills. He would be a nice fit for the Nets and give them some height down low that can rebound and block shots. I think he would be very well suited to be a good bench player, for a unit that hasnt really had that spark since Jefferson started, until(if) he is ready to contribute as a starter. His biggest detriment seems to be his attitude, but Im not sure if he is lazy and feels he can just get by on his ability or if he just has been lost on his NBA dream the last 2 years. Given the Nets chemistry I think he would not be a problem to work with in the NBA.

Diogu is probably more ready to start now than Villanueva. He has better range and is a more complete scorer right now. Id be a little worried about the height, but I think his wingspan measured something like 7'3" so it should not be a problem. He is also a good passer and very strong, which should make him to be able to really use that wingspan effectively and box up guys a few inches bigger than him. He can probably be more of a post presence right now and he is a very hard worker. Id certainly give him major consideration. If he had Villanuevas height I think he would be a sure top 8 pick.

I dont think I'd even consider the other two. Im too worried about Mays weight and I never saw in him that explosiveness I think you need to play down there in the NBA. Warrick is a project and not someone the Nets could use unless they have no intentions of a taking a guy that could make the starting 5 by 2006.
    Good Job, Jason ... thanks for the analysis

Sounds too me like I had the right guy at the beginning ... the Nets are a NOW TEAM in need of a PF to complete the puzzle ... one who can be an immediate starter and play well ... and it seems Diogu best fits that criteria

If Vazquez should happen to fall he may fit that criteria as well