Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Cameron for Sheffield ??

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be the biggest trade between the 2 ever.

I heard it a bit differently:

Sheffield, fringe minor leaguer (like a Mitch Jones/Andy Phillips) and Womack, for Cameron, Cairo, Heilman, and a minor league OF. I did not hear Diaz mentioned.

Just a rumor though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    This would be the biggest trade between the 2 ever.

I heard it a bit differently:

Sheffield, fringe minor leaguer (like a Mitch Jones/Andy Phillips) and Womack, for Cameron, Cairo, Heilman, and a minor league OF. I did not hear Diaz mentioned.

Just a rumor though.
    Yea right in your dreams met fans. NO WAY Steinbrenner takes a step back, especially when we aren't even getting young players in return.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a met fan, I would not even trade cameron straight up for sheffield, forget about the package mentioned above. Sheff is definitely the better player, but he's 36, forget this trade, man I really hope it doesn't happen. The Mets are kidding themselves if they think they can contend this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the best hitters in baseball for Mike Cameron? George would have to be pretty to do that. Don't get your hopes up Mets fans. If we wanted a good CF who can't hit we could just play Bubba Crosby.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard on a radio in Chicago that this trade may happen Is George out of it??????? Why trade Gary Sheffield for Cameron who sucks. Why do the Yankees like Cameron so much????? the guy is bad. He strikes out too many times.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do the deal for Cameron, Diaz and Milledge or Petit.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 06-29-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I would do the deal for Cameron, Diaz and Milledge or Petit.
    Sheff, Womack, Quantrill, for Cameron, Diaz, Heilman, Cairo.

WOrth considering.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i heard the rumor is cameron and cairo for sheffield. either way it doesn't seem to make sense for the yankees.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    i heard the rumor is cameron and cairo for sheffield. either way it doesn't seem to make sense for the yankees.
    No, it does not. Yanks need to get back some kind of pitching help. And they will be short an OF, unless they get back someome with Cameron. Womack isn't going to cut it, and Bernie can't play there anymore.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would never do this in a thousand years, and im a met fan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428
    i would never do this in a thousand years, and im a met fan.
    If the deal was just Cameron for Sheff, it would only make sense for the Mets if they wanted to win this year or next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mets are not ready to win this year or next year, they should not make this trade, I will be very disappointed if this trade goes down. Its funny how both Met and Yankee fans both don't like this trade at all. I do not want the Mets to fall in the trap of the Yankees and get older players. Sheff is 38, Cameron is 32. Certainly don't want to give up any young prospects in this trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the deal was just Cameron for Sheff, it would only make sense for the Mets if they wanted to win this year or next year.
    if the mets were smart, they would know that unfortunately this year is not their year. personally, would like to keep the team the way they are, but im not the GM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmets
    The mets are not ready to win this year or next year, they should not make this trade, I will be very disappointed if this trade goes down. Its funny how both Met and Yankee fans both don't like this trade at all. I do not want the Mets to fall in the trap of the Yankees and get older players. Sheff is 38, Cameron is 32. Certainly don't want to give up any young prospects in this trade.
    Well, this trade isn't going to happen so it doesn't matter, but just to clear up a fact: Sheffield is 36 and won't turn 37 until after the season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428
    if the mets were smart, they would know that unfortunately this year is not their year. personally, would like to keep the team the way they are, but im not the GM.
    If I was a Met fan, I would want to trade Cameron for good young talent. His value won't get much higher than it is now. I also wouldn't have signed Beltran to the deal he got because CF was not a great need when you already had Cameron. Instead, use the money on Delgado and Kent or something along those lines.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I trade for Albert Pujols, Barry Bonds, Mike Piazza, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens, Coco Crisp, and any other all star or young people.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, thanks to Sheffield's mouth, this deal isn't happening anyway. Add in the fact that the Yanks are rumored (NY Times) to have released/traded Stanton and Quantrill, and this further muddles the situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I was a Met fan, I would want to trade Cameron for good young talent. His value won't get much higher than it is now. I also wouldn't have signed Beltran to the deal he got because CF was not a great need when you already had Cameron. Instead, use the money on Delgado and Kent or something along those lines.
    Agreed they should trade Cameron for YOUNG talent. I like the Beltran signing still, the outfield has been great with him in center and Cammy making a great transition to right. They tried to sign Delgado even after signing Beltran, so it wasn't an either/or situation. Delgado went to Florida even though the Mets gave him a better offer. He was convinced by Leiter what a bad place NY was to play. Truthfully, it is, the Mets have to overpay for any player they get, we are the worst fans, people are already booing Beltran, they boo Matsui before he even gets to the plate and does anything. If you are going to come to NY and have to deal with such awful fans, players figure they might as well go to the Yankees since they'll overpay the entire team and have a better chance at winning.