Thread: Knicks sign a Center

Knicks sign a Center

The Knicks reportedly signed Jerome James to a 5 year 29 million dollar contract. Probably highly overpriced for a guy who is a reserve, but he can give the team a year or two starting until Frye is ready to play. The only negative here, again is the cap, because 29 million for a guy who averages 15 minutes a game isnt a great business move.

It starts out as the MLE, so it isn't to detremental capwise.

But he's overpriced, for sure. What does he add, except maybe some size and girth for 15 minutes a night. He does play some defense though, and he will block shots.

Veteran
    i like the sign

Banned
    The Knicks suck more than my NBA Live 2005 game, which freezes more than a winter in the North Pole.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    It starts out as the MLE, so it isn't to detremental capwise.

But he's overpriced, for sure. What does he add, except maybe some size and girth for 15 minutes a night. He does play some defense though, and he will block shots.
    I think the only problem I see capwise is that down the line its a detriment for the team. While its a not a huge salary, its a bad one if there are any dreams of signing a guy like Lebron. I cant imagine there ever being a market for him if the Knicks were looking to dump salary. That said I think its a good move for the team if they dont have those plans. Just being in the East should see some improvement in production and the Knicks have basically zero size for their team and this helps them with that. The Knicks are a major work in progress but I think this is a far better signing than the Rose and Taylor trades they made last season.

Quote Originally Posted by norm428
    i like the sign

they should've at least tried Swift first

All Pro
    I do not like this signing at all... he had three good games this post season and oal of a sudden he's a 6MM a year player? I think not. He averaes less that 5 ppg and 3 rpg a game. That's piss poor.

Swift would have been a much better pickup. Or even trade for Kwame...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    I think the only problem I see capwise is that down the line its a detriment for the team. While its a not a huge salary, its a bad one if there are any dreams of signing a guy like Lebron. I cant imagine there ever being a market for him if the Knicks were looking to dump salary. That said I think its a good move for the team if they dont have those plans. Just being in the East should see some improvement in production and the Knicks have basically zero size for their team and this helps them with that. The Knicks are a major work in progress but I think this is a far better signing than the Rose and Taylor trades they made last season.
    Knicks have no shot at LeBron in 2 seasons unless they trade Marbury. Otherwise, Hardaway, Timmy Thomas and Houston dropping off the cap does not help enough. But trading Steph, and not taking back any long term deal, would do it.

Knicks have no shot at LeBron in 2 seasons unless they trade Marbury. Otherwise, Hardaway, Timmy Thomas and Houston dropping off the cap does not help enough. But trading Steph, and not taking back any long term deal, would do it.
    Im not sure. James is a free agent in 2008. Thomas, Hardaway, Houston, and Shandon Anderson(who the Knicks are still paying for against the cap I believe) all are off by 2007 which would be a savings of 58 million dollars in salary and they should have only 38 million in contracts guaranteed by then. Marbury could be tradeable by then since he should only have a year left on his deal. But the James and Q deals tie up more big salary that offseason which could make it tougher to do with keeping Marbury, though maybe you could use one guy in a sign and trade. I really think the whole trick to the Knicks futrue right now is standing pat and not making anymore trades specifically a rumored Tim Thomas or Penny Hardaway for Shawn Marion deal. The Knicks have been getting fleeced by the Suns for years now taking bad deals and it has to stop.

All Pro
    TT and Penny for Marion? I just dont' see this happening... why would the Sun do this?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyJetsPhanatic
    TT and Penny for Marion? I just dont' see this happening... why would the Sun do this?
    It would be one or the other not both. They want the guys because both have expiring contracts and they already brought in Kurt Thomas who can just take Marions spot. The Suns need the money freed up because of the deals they will be giving Stoudamire and Johnson.

Im not sure. James is a free agent in 2008. Thomas, Hardaway, Houston, and Shandon Anderson(who the Knicks are still paying for against the cap I believe) all are off by 2007 which would be a savings of 58 million dollars in salary and they should have only 38 million in contracts guaranteed by then. Marbury could be tradeable by then since he should only have a year left on his deal. But the James and Q deals tie up more big salary that offseason which could make it tougher to do with keeping Marbury, though maybe you could use one guy in a sign and trade. I really think the whole trick to the Knicks futrue right now is standing pat and not making anymore trades specifically a rumored Tim Thomas or Penny Hardaway for Shawn Marion deal. The Knicks have been getting fleeced by the Suns for years now taking bad deals and it has to stop.
    Between Sweetney, James, Marbury, Crawford, Richardson, Rose, as well as Ariza, and the drafted kids, we will be well over the cap in 2008, without removing Marbury from the roster. Taylor and the guys you mentioned will be off the books by the end of 2007, but that's not enough.

Between Sweetney, James, Marbury, Crawford, Richardson, Rose, as well as Ariza, and the drafted kids, we will be well over the cap in 2008, without removing Marbury from the roster. Taylor and the guys you mentioned will be off the books by the end of 2007, but that's not enough.
    I think Sweetney will be gone by that season. Thats his first year he can test free agency and even if the Knicks keep him hes probably only going to be making in the area of 5 million per season. Ariza, Frye, Robinson, and Lee will all be making low salaries since they should still be in their rookie year deals. The cap rises a bit every year and the Knicks should have some tradeable commodities at that point including someone like Malik Rose and possibly Quentin Richardson. Without trades and the James signing the Knicks could probably be right around the cap in 2007. The Knicks best bet to get Lebron is to hope he accepts a qualifying offer from the Cavs, and then in the next season make a run for him and if James wants out that is probably what he is going to do.

I think Sweetney will be gone by that season. Thats his first year he can test free agency and even if the Knicks keep him hes probably only going to be making in the area of 5 million per season. Ariza, Frye, Robinson, and Lee will all be making low salaries since they should still be in their rookie year deals. The cap rises a bit every year and the Knicks should have some tradeable commodities at that point including someone like Malik Rose and possibly Quentin Richardson. Without trades and the James signing the Knicks could probably be right around the cap in 2007. The Knicks best bet to get Lebron is to hope he accepts a qualifying offer from the Cavs, and then in the next season make a run for him and if James wants out that is probably what he is going to do.
    I looked around the 'net for salary info, couldn't find much that seems reliable, but whatever is out there leads me to believe that to get significantly under the cap in 2 seasons, requires the removal of Marbury's salary, and no substancial return of bad contracts. In other words, no trades of any kind where we take back a Malik Rose type contract.