Thread: Staten Island Nascar Track?

Banned

Staten Island Nascar Track?

Oh jeez everybody is getting a new arena and stadium... yankees, nets, mets, devils, giants except the jets now there is a possibility for a nascar track in staten island for a city that couldent give 2 1/2 $#!t$ about auto racing oh jeez

[URL=http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/05/28/bc.car..nascar.statenisl.ap/]Here[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Neck Car does NY????

That article is over 12 months old, so is the story.

All League
    This issue hits close to home for me. I live about a 1/4 mile away from the future trailor stop. Bring the Jets to Staten Island and screw this redneck crap.

[QUOTE=Jetsrush]This issue hits close to home for me. I live about a 1/4 mile away from the future trailor stop. Bring the Jets to Staten Island and screw this redneck crap.[/QUOTE]

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Nascar brings alot of corporate money and sponsorship to the table. A typical sellout football game has what 60 to 70k people... its nothing for a Nascar race to draw over 100k people!!!!! And basically every race sells out. They are taking a race away from one of the traditional good old boy tracks (Darlington I believe) cause its not a big enough venue. I think the track accomodates around 60 or 70k people... thats not big enough? Vegas has a track, Charlotte, Chicago, Michigan, California... you think NY does not want to get in on this? Poconno Pennsylvania SELLS OUT BOTH of its races EVERY YEAR. Granted, the Giants and JETS can say they sell out, but how many other NFL teams can be counted on to sellout year in and year out? Big corporate money sponsors those cars, and they are not just trying to advertise to Americans in the southeast states. Last I heard, Nascar was the most watched sport... yes, more than football and baseball.

It may have started out as a bunch of good old boys from the south, but it has expanded into a multi-million, if not billion, dollar juggernaut (sp?).

One of the few (if not only) sports where the competitors are EXPECTED to meet people, EXPECTED to be friendly and courteous, and EXPECTED to meet with fans and be accessible. Makes for a friendly atmosphere and really draws attention to family values and loyalty.

Not to preach, but any state would be stupid not to want to get involved and get a race or two around one of its major metropolitan areas... lots of loot to be made.

Alabama has the biggest, fastest track. (Talledega Superspeedway... 2.5 miles long... speeds of over 190 MPH on horsepower restricted cars)

You think NY would draw a gigantic crowd if they constructed a bigger track, with higher banked walls, and ultimately higher speeds?!?!?!?!?!?

NY Superspeedway... racing at night under a lighted raceway!?!?!?!?!?
    Advertising would cost a fortune, and companies would pay it. Air time during the telecast would cost a fortune, and companies would pay it.

I can see the ticket sales now.....

I can see the traffic on the West Shore expressway, S.I. expressway, Richmond avenue, etc. Would make a already detoriating Island 1000x worse.

Now, I am not saying the track should be built on Long Island, but I think NY is wise to want to get involved somehow.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jet Addict SouthFL]I can see the traffic on the West Shore expressway, S.I. expressway, Richmond avenue, etc. Would make a already detoriating Island 1000x worse.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Plus S.I is a very congested residential place and the sound of these cars is going to piss off alot of people.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Jetsrush]I agree 100%. Plus S.I is a very congested residential place and the sound of these cars is going to piss off alot of people.[/QUOTE]

if i'm not mistaken, they want to build it in the middle of nowhere on an old gas field.

Either way, i'm happy i'm moving away because the is the last thing staten island needs. i understand the argument about having 100k people at an event, but how many NASCAR events can there be at one location. if i'm not mistaken, only one. so how would one 100k event work out better than 8 60-70k events?

[QUOTE=Narra]if i'm not mistaken, they want to build it in the middle of nowhere on an old gas field.

Either way, i'm happy i'm moving away because the is the last thing staten island needs. i understand the argument about having 100k people at an event, but how many NASCAR events can there be at one location. if i'm not mistaken, only one. so how would one 100k event work out better than 8 60-70k events?[/QUOTE]

I am not saying the one oevent at 100k people would be better than 8 events with 60-70k people, just that NASCAR events usually draw upwards of 100 people, with some going well over 100k people. (Daytona, Brickyard, Talladega, Charlotte)

The drawback is that these tracks do usually only get one or two big races a year... there are only so many weekends, and they only race so many of those weekends out of every year. There is alot of competition for tracks as well... last I heard Atlantic City wants to build one in response to the Vegas track. What I am saying though is that it would make alot of money the weekend it would be open for the race...