Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - SAR saga over for Nets?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

OT - SAR saga over for Nets?

Chad Ford reports the Blazers sign and trade Abdur-Rahim for a 2006 lottery protected first round pick. Steal for the Nets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2110920

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Great News .. thanks BB

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I realize the East got better... but comparing this team to the Nets Finals teams

Kidd v Kidd (a little older, but still played as well as he ever did once he got back last year... a little worse on man to man D)
    Kittles v. Carter
    Jefferson v. Jefferson (obviously RJ's better now... improved jumper and FT)
    Martin v. SAR
    Collins v. Krstic (21 year old 7 foot center, 18 ppg in playoffs)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The starting lineup is officially crazy right now. Everybody is healthy and there might be a championship trophy in East Rutherford... wow, we will have two in one Meadowlands complex with the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even though the Nets gave up a 1st... if they stay healthy, the pick should be in the mid-20's in a thin draft next year (no HS'ers)

Plus, this allows them to sign some bench help with the MLE

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out: Kenyon Martin, Kerry Kittles, Rodney Rogers, Lucious Harris, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, Alonzo Mourning.

In: Vince Carter, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Antoine Wright, Cliff Robinson, Jacque Vaughn, the Clippers lottery pick next year

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't seem to open that link. Can someone paste it?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The New Jersey Nets have found their replacement for Kenyon Martin. And he's coming at a real bargain.

A team source said the Nets and Blazers agreed in principle to a sign-and-trade that will get them Shareef Abdur-Rahim on a six-year contract worth roughly $38 million.

In return, the Nets will send a lottery protected 2006 first-round pick to the Blazers.

It's a great deal for the Nets.

The Nets refused to pay Martin, their last power forward, a max contract last summer and eventually traded him to the Nuggets for three future first round picks. The Nets used some of those picks to acquire Vince Carter from the Toronto Raptors at midseason. Now they'll use the trade exception they received from the Martin deal to acquire Abdur-Rahim.

Abdur-Rahim might be coming at less than half the price of Martin, but he isn't half the player. Abdur-Rahim, who is 28, has averaged 19 points per game and 8.1 rebounds per game for his career. Last season he struggled through injuries, but still managed 16.8 ppg and 7.1 rpg. Martin has averaged 12.4 ppg and 5.1 rpg for his career and had 15.5 ppg and 7.3 rpg for the Nuggets last season.

Since the Nets will land Abdur-Rahim with their trade exception, look for new owner Bruce Ratner to keep spending money. The Nets still own their full mid-level exception. The Nets have been in serious talks with free-agent guard Keyon Dooling with part of their mid-level exception. However the Nets are getting serious competition for Dooling's services from the Magic. The Nets are looking for a combo guard who can help Jason Kidd keep his minutes down to about 30 a night.

The Nets also have reached agreement with forward Clifford Robinson, a person within the league told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Contract terms were not available.

Free agent deals cannot be officially announced until the league's new collective bargaining agreement is signed, something expected to occur within the next week.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Even though the Nets gave up a 1st... if they stay healthy, the pick should be in the mid-20's in a thin draft next year (no HS'ers)

Plus, this allows them to sign some bench help with the MLE
    Keyon Dooling is right on the cusp of signing with the Nets ... could happen any minute

Also, Nets own the clippers 1st RD Pick next year ... UN-PROTECTED ... and that is a likely lottery pick

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    everyone is potential allstars. and maybe a sixth man award winner with their new rookie. i was mad that they past up on syracuses PF but rahim is much better and once an allstar. Krystic played like an outstand player the last 20 games RJ can maybe make the allstar team

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ONE MORE THING

What Portland really wanted was Meli Ilic ... this years 2nd RD Pick ... 7 footer with a huge upside

Thorn loves him so much that he absolutely refused to part with him ... it was Thorn who opted to send them a 1 {likely a very late 1} as opposed to Ilic, who they have been demanding all week

Ed Stafanski even said Ilic would have been a possible "lottery pick" had he waited another year to enter the draft

Nets are building a heck of a team .. the PRESENT and FUTURE looks bright
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-21-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Was that re-posted today? I think it's an old story. Like 2 days or so old. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, the new sticking point is that Portland is holding out for Ilic. I'm pretty sure we're back to square X with this deal.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 07-21-2005 at 09:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Was that re-posted today? I think it's an old story. Like 2 days or so old. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, the new sticking point is that Portland is holding out for Ilic. I'm pretty sure we're back to square X with this deal.
    No. It's 95% the same story... the important part is that it says Portland agreed to a sign and trade, which the story didn't mention earlier.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    ONE MORE THING

What Portland really wanted was Meli Ilic ... this years 2nd RD Pick ... 7 footer with a huge upside

Thorn loves him so much that he absolutely refused to part with him ... it was Thorn who opted to send them a 1 {likely a very late 1} as opposed to Ilic, who they have been demanding all week

Ed Stafanski even said Ilic would have been a possible "lottery pick" had he waited another year to enter the draft

Nets are building a heck of a team .. the PRESENT and FUTURE looks bright

Yes, just like Krstic... (would've been a lottery pick if he was eligible last year) That's what smart teams do... if you have a low 1st rounder and aren't enamored by any picks - take a less known Euro with upside and keep him at home to develop... now that's value! it's also a luxury in the NBA, something you can't do in the NFL obviously

Ilic is supposed to be a more athletic, less polished Krstic... all he really needs to be is a solid 7 foot backup (how many teams have one solid 7 footer? we might have three) and he was definitely Portland's GUY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Star Ledger broke this story this morning that the whispers were the Nets ageed to send a protected pick to the Blazers to just get the deal over with to make sure Rahim followed through on his trip to the Nets. Im sure this was also pushed through by the fact that Orlando offered Dooling 3 million per year and the Nets want to make a move on him ASAP. Rahim is a steal for the Nets.

Overall this is probably the best starting 5 in the East. Kidd, Carter, Jefferson, Rahim and Kristic/Collins is better than Detroits, Indianas, and Miamis starting 5. Its better than the Kidd, Kittles, Jefferson/Van Horn, Martin, Collins unit that made the finals twice and took the Pistons 7 games. If Dooling signs that is a solid bench as well which should be Vaughn, Dooling, Collins/Kristic, Robinson, Wright, Mercer, and Plaininic. Getting rid of Z and just bringin in a body would probably be a good move, but Im not sure anyone is out there now anyway(they could bring Jabari Smith back and are looking at Chris Crawford).

Rahim and Carter could be a great combo. Rahim is great in the post and gives the Nets the first real scoring option down low that they have had in the Jason Kidd era. This should open up things for Carter and eliminate the double teams he will see during the year, especially when Kristic is also in the game. With Brown leaving Detroit the Nets are probably going to be second only to Miami in the preseason odds to make the finals from the East.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So they basically caved in for the deal they were refusing 2 days ago? Cool! Guess this guys didn't have time to write another article. It's almost word for word the same story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So they basically caved in for the deal they were refusing 2 days ago? Cool! Guess this guys didn't have time to write another article. It's almost word for word the same story.
    I wouldn't call it caving... they got a steal

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they figured they had Portland in a bind but Portland just did not care, which is not a huge surprise since they are building so young they are mainly interested in picks and not extra cash to use for a deal down the line. I think the Magic offer to Dooling is what scared the Nets into doing this and just wanting to get it done. There were also rumors of another deal on the table for Rahim in a sign and trade(I think with the Kings) where Rahim would have made substantially more money. I guess since the Blazers were willing to allow the pick to be lottery protected it was enough for the Nets(who should not be anywhere near the lottery next year barring collapse or a devastating injury) to finally make the deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    I wouldn't call it caving... they got a steal
    Sorry, I was rushed at work. What I meant was that PORTLAND caved in. They were said to be holding out for Ilic. This writer sure seems to want to push his story. I just hope he's right.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    NY TIMES

Knicks Get the ink, but Nets have the much better team

By HARVEY ARATON

WHILE Lawrence of Long Island kept on the lookout for paparazzi yesterday out in the Hamptons, Lawrence of Teaneck marched a potential benchwarmer through workout paces and chaperoned a free-agent reserve point guard on a guided tour of northern New Jersey.

While Lawrence Harvey Brown was keeping New York's long-suffering fans holding their breath, Lawrence Adam Frank was making the former Atlanta forward Cris Crawford suck wind between the lines and breathlessly trying to sell Keyon Dooling on trading in South Beach in Miami for Exit 16W on the New Jersey Turnpike.

While Brown was chilling by the ocean, mulling the challenge of coaching Stephon Marbury and the 33-victory Knicks, Frank barely had a moment to contemplate a stunning roster makeover that could make the Nets a major player in a strengthened Eastern Conference.

"Our front-office people have done a great job of identifying our needs and giving us a chance to get back to the elite level," he said after a long summer day trying to tie up loose roster ends.

While Isiah Thomas tries another shakeup to make the Knicks matter, Rod Thorn has from one summer to the next brilliantly steered the Nets through an organizational earthquake.

While the Knicks' owner, James Dolan, has presided over the deconstruction of a once-proud franchise, Bruce Ratner has delivered on his promise not to gut the Nets as they assume lame-duck status in New Jersey, on their way to a planned relocation to Brooklyn.

"We will have a good team but talk is talk and doing is doing," Ratner told me last summer in the face of a full-frontal news media assault after the bean-counting decision to trade Kenyon Martin to Denver, about 20 minutes after he purchased the team.

One year later, thanks mostly to Thorn's continued wizardry as the Nets' chief executive and the truly brainless trading of Vince Carter by Toronto to New Jersey, how's Ratner doing? Unavailable to pat himself on the back yesterday as he maintains a low profile to focus on the bidding for the Atlantic Avenue rail yards - where he intends to build his basketball arena and a zillion new apartments - Ratner let his basketball people do the talking.

"I've got nothing but good things to say about him," Thorn said in a telephone interview. "He's a really good guy, he's accessible and he's allowed us to do just about everything we've had to put together what looks like, on paper, a pretty good team."

A year ago, Martin's departure marked the official breakup of a two-time finalist, Jason Kidd was determined to follow Martin's lead and even Thorn was said to be exploring his options.

"Our star player wasn't real positive about the future of the team, Alonzo Mourning wasn't a very positive influence on Jason or anyone," Thorn said. "It just didn't look very good."

Then came the Carter steal, the recovery of Kidd from knee surgery, the accelerated development of the rookie center, Nenad Krstic, the late-season run to qualify for the last playoff position in the Eastern Conference and, most recently, the apparent recruitment of Shareef Abdur-Rahim to be the starting power forward.

Whether Abdur-Rahim, who is not the athlete Martin is but is more skilled and statistically accomplished, is an upgrade at the position is debatable, but that's not the most pertinent question. This is: a year ago, would Thorn have traded Martin - who, separated from Kidd, was no maximum-salary player last season in Denver - and a broken-down Kerry Kittles for Carter, Abdur-Rahim and the Los Angeles Clippers' first-round draft pick next June that is not lottery protected?

"That one has some possibilities," Thorn said.

As the Nets tie up loose roster ends, as the Knicks wait on Brown, here, then, are potential matchups for the first meeting of the cross-river rivals next season.

Point guard: Kidd versus Marbury. Shooting guard: Carter versus Quentin Richardson. Small forward: Jefferson versus Tim Thomas. Power forward: Abdur-Rahim versus Michael Sweetney. Center: Krstic or Jason Collins versus Jerome James.

And then, of course, there would be the bench battle of the suburban Lawrences.

Brown must be factored into this seemingly one-sided competitive equation, if he takes the job, which I am guessing he will. "My gut thing is I truly believe I need time off," Brown said when we spoke by telephone Wednesday night. "That said, I'm not getting any younger." Doctors have advised him to get on with his life, bladder condition notwithstanding, and life for Brown is coaching basketball, making players and teams better than they were.

Brown will be 65 in September. Frank turns 35 next month. When they squared off in a tense, seven-game series in May 2004, Frank, as a novice head coach, irritated Brown with his energy and audacity, which made me wonder if Brown saw in Frank a reflection of his more youthful self.

"We've had several amicable conversations since then," Frank said. "I respect him so much. If he does go to the Knicks, they've got one of the all-time greats."

The Knicks will also have the glamour, the buzz, at least until the Nets get across the river. But Frank has Kidd, one of the game's great point guard, and the explosive and complementary talent around him. Frank has by far and away the better team in the New York metropolitan area, even if reporters and the paparazzi are two bridges and a long ride away to the east, chasing Lawrence of Long Island.