Thread: New Rules for 2005-06

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

New Rules for 2005-06

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Rule Changes For 2005-06 Season
    SHOOTOUT: Following a scoreless five-minute overtime, three players from each team participate in a shootout. Each team takes three shots. The team with the most goals after those six shots wins. If still tied, the shootout will advance to a sudden death format. If a game is decided by a shootout, the final score will give the winning team one more goal than its opponent, based on the score at the end of overtime.
    LINES: Two-line passes are now legal as the center red line will be ignored for offsides purposes.

- The blue lines will be moved closer together to create an additional four feet in each of the offensive zones. That reduces the size of the neutral zone to 50 feet from 54 feet.

- Goal lines will be moved two feet, to 11 feet from the end boards.

- The width of the blue lines and red line was unchanged.

- The tag-up offsides rule returns, allowing play to continue if offensive players who preceded the puck into the zone return to the blue line and tag it.

GOALIES: The dimensions of goaltender equipment will be reduced by approximately 11 percent. In addition to a one-inch reduction (to 11 inches) in the width of leg pads, the blocking glove, upper-body protector, pants and jersey also will be reduced in size.

- Goalies using oversized equipment will be given a two-game suspension. Their teams will be fined $25,000 fine and the trainer will be docked $1,000.

- Goalies may play the puck behind the goal line only in a trapezoid-shaped area defined by lines that begin six feet from either goal post and extend diagonally to points 28 feet apart at the end boards.

ICING: A team that ices the puck can't make a line change before the ensuing faceoff.

- Touch icing remains in effect but linesmen will be given more discretion to wave off infractions if they are deemed the result of a long, attempted pass.

INSTIGATION PENALTIES: A player who instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game will receive a game misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of suspension would double for each additional incident. The player's coach will be fined $10,000, a penalty that would double for each recurrence.

OFFICIATING: Zero tolerance on interference, hooking and holding-obstruction.

- Goalies who play the puck behind the goal line but outside the designated puck-handling area will be called for delay of game. Goaltenders will be penalized for delay of game if they freeze the puck unnecessarily.

- Any player who shoots the puck directly over the glass in his defending zone will be penalized for delay of game. Previously only goalies were penalized for the infraction.

UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT: The league will review and assess fines to players who dive, embellish a fall or a reaction, or who fake injury in an attempt to draw penalties. The first such incident will bring on a warning letter; the second will result in a $1,000 fine; the third will result in a $2,000 fine; and the fourth will result in a one-game suspension.

- Public complaints or derogatory comments toward the game also will result in fines.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line here is if you are a fan of hockey and think this is good then your an idiot... it is terrible.... You think teams played the trap before... Just wait....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure why you think this would enhance a trap. Without a red line and with a smaller neutral zone, I think this would produce more breakaways and more opportunities to keep the puck in the offensive zones creating more pressure on the defense. The only down side I can see is coaches abusing line changes and sending players out without fearing a two-line pass. I'm a hockey fan for 27 years. Let me know what I'm missing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect112row36
    I'm not sure why you think this would enhance a trap. Without a red line and with a smaller neutral zone, I think this would produce more breakaways and more opportunities to keep the puck in the offensive zones creating more pressure on the defense. The only down side I can see is coaches abusing line changes and sending players out without fearing a two-line pass. I'm a hockey fan for 27 years. Let me know what I'm missing.
    I agree. I see this as opening up the game and letting the skilled players do their stuff like in international play. Teams such as The Wild who can only play the trap will be in trouble. This will definately benifit teams that play a wide open style.