Thread: OT:Shareef Abdur-Rahim trade on hold

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

OT:Shareef Abdur-Rahim trade on hold

I saw before there are alot of Nets fans on this board and ive seen prior posts about Shareef Abdur-Rahim, so im posting this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2124298

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New Jersey Nets' trade with the Portland Trail Blazers for forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim has been put on hold after questions arose during his physical examination, the Nets said Thursday.

The Nets did not disclose the nature or cause of the questions.

The 29-year-old Abdur-Rahim missed 22 games with the Blazers last season after undergoing surgery in mid-January to address loose particles in his right elbow.

New Jersey agreed to a six-year deal last month with the veteran forward, who has averaged 19.8 points and 8.1 rebounds during his nine-year career with Vancouver, Atlanta and Portland.

Nets president Rod Thorn was scheduled to address the issue Thursday afternoon at the Nets' practice facility. The team has until Aug. 12 to complete the trade.

Hall Of Fame
    This flat-out blows. I can only hope that something went wrong with the diagnosis or something like that, and Shareef is healthy, and we can move on with the trade. If not, we are in serious need of a PF, and that is harder with Stromile Swift off the market

He played after the surgery. I don't think this is a big issue.

If he cant play this is terrible news for the Nets. There is nobody left out there even close to his level. Hopefully its just nothing or maybe they simply change the deal in order to take him(i.e. no draft picks since Portland and Rahim are also in a bind with this news).

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Now the Post is reporting that he doesn't want to play here. Looks like we may have lost him.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Now the Post is reporting that he doesn't want to play here. Looks like we may have lost him.
    According to the Post he is set to be a Net today:

"By LENN ROBBINS

August 8, 2005 -- The roller-coaster courtship between Shareef Abdur-Rahim and the Nets seems to be headed toward a happy ending, and both sides can only hope the marriage is more stable than the dating process.

Spurred on by yesterday's exclusive story in The Post in which Abdur-Rahim upset by the Nets' handling of medical concerns that arose in his physical said he no longer wanted to join the franchise, the team is expected to announce today it is going through with the deal.

Abdur-Rahim, 28, who was courted heavily by the Nets, was disillusioned by the team's last-second decision to seek additional medical opinions about scar tissue in his right knee.

When his feelings were published in yesterday's Post, Nets star Jason Kidd, coach Lawrence Frank and Thorn called Abdur-Rahim to rebuild the relationship, sources told The Post.

"Shareef is a good guy, and No. 1, he's a professional," said Thorn. "I understand there's some anxiety and trepidation when the possibility of not ending up with the team you chose arises. We feel we have all the information we need to make a decision within the next day or two."

The Nets have reason to be cautious since they are investing six years and $38 million in the deal. They sent copies of his MRI to three leading orthopedic surgeons and now must decide if they want to complete a sign-and-trade deal with the Trail Blazers.

In addition to sending Portland a protected No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft, the Nets are shipping their $4.9 million trade exception to the Trail Blazers. They lose that exception at midnight tomorrow, so time is of the essence.

"The real reason for me coming to New Jersey is I feel like we have a real good chance to compete for a championship," Abdur-Rahim said last night by telephone. "I don't think that's changed. I just wish things had been handled better, with me in mind.

"But it is what it is. I know I have a lot of basketball left in me. I thought that's one of the reasons the Nets came after me as hard as they did. I don't want them making a decision they're not comfortable with. I'm a grown man; if this goes through, I signed a contract and will work hard to earn it." "

Glad to see it looks to be over. Im surprised it took this long and I wonder if they were gauging interest in the Wolves actually moving Garnett and waiting until the last second to pull the trigger on this deal.

Actually, i'm still hearing that it may not get done.

I do think the Nets will end up going through with the trade. The alternatives out there are not promising. If they renege on Shariff, they will not be the elite team in the East that they will be with him.

The Nets did indeed not go through with the trade. Im really surprised that they didnt give it a shot. I also think they mishandled the whole situation because stringing Rahim along was really not the proper thing to do. Still should be the favorites to win their division, but this knocks them way down back into the pack of teams trying to make it through one series.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I don't think they handled it poorly. The failed physical caught them completely by surprise and they wanted to take the time to consult more doctors. Shame about that because the guy they wound up with will never measure up to what SAR can do. Also they sent the exemption to a team in the same division.

With Rahim, the Nets were a top flight team. On par with the Pistons, and just a shade behind Miami. Now, they have dropped back towards the middle of the pack of playoff contenders.

I am surprised the Nets did not go through with this. I am sure the memory of being burned by Morning is emblazoned in their minds, but this is different, IMO.