Thread: OT: O's fire Mazzilli

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    While we're at it, Yankees should fire Torre and wake this Yankee team up....

Streakiest team I've ever seen. Give the job to Stick Michaels or give Girardi a chance....team's stopped listening to Joe.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar

Streakiest team I've ever seen. Give the job to Stick Michaels or give Girardi a chance....team's stopped listening to Joe.
    That is truely the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I am actually stupider for reading this. You don't fire a manager who has a team full of injuries and 60% of the starting pitching staff on the DL especially one with his track record.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsGoFar

now this is what we true baseball fans call a person who will believe the cover story of anything a writer prints

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsidejetsfan
    That is truely the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I am actually stupider for reading this.
    LOL

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpJet
    LOL
    Hey Terp, where's your kool-aid?

Fire Torre, what are you smoking?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is surprising. Baltimore had started off so great and now they are in a drop dead freefall with no looking back.

Time for the Yanks to pick up the pace and get Boston the hell out of our lives.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsidejetsfan
    That is truely the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I am actually stupider for reading this. You don't fire a manager who has a team full of injuries and 60% of the starting pitching staff on the DL especially one with his track record.
    If you are going to call somebody stupid, you should at least spell correctly. I think you meant "truly" the dumbest thing...

Anyways, can someone please explain to me why Joe Torre is such a great manager? Is it because he has no idea how to use a bullpen? Is it because he completely overuses his best relievers and uses them in blowout situations? Is it because he forgets to pinchrun? I could go on and on and, since I have some time, I will.

2003: Joe Torre opts for using Jeff Weaver instead of Mariano Rivera in extra innings against Florida. Yes, Jeff Weaver, who had a rocky stint with the Yankees and hadn't pitched in about 3 weeks. He was saving Mariano Rivera for a save that might not happen. This notion that you save your closer for a save when you go to extras when you are the away team is stupid baseball. Think about it logically. What's worse: Giving up a run when the game is tied and automatically losing the game or giving up a run in a save situation so you still might win or the game just might continue? We all know the answer to this question and this is why you always use your ace reliever in that situation. That's actually the best time to use yoru ace reliever. Joe Torre does not realize this fact. This also cost us a game against the Orioles this year when Torre unbelievably put in Stanton.

2004: Torre witnesses the biggest collapse in baseball history. In game 5 the Yankees had numerous times to pinchrun and steal when Wakefield was pitching. One of those times was with the very slow Jorge Posada on base. We had Bubba Crosby on the bench (What the f*ck is he even on the team for if Joe isn't going to use him there?). We also had Flaherty on the bench ready to catch. What makes that even more stupid is Joe just witnessed what a fast pinchrunner can do two games in a row. This is not a one time incident with Clueless Joe. Last year in regular season Jorge was on 2nd base in extras and Joe didn't pinch run for him and Jorge was thrown out at the plate. Lost us the game. This year TWICE Bernie has been on base representing the tying run in the 9th (against the Brewers) and in extras (against the Angelse I believe). Both times it takes Joe a full batter to realize that he should be pinchrunning Tony Womack there. What the f*ck took him so long? Was he sleeping? Did someone have to remind this moron what the correct decision was?

Also last year he completely killed Quantrill and Gordon's arm. The guy has no idea how to use a bullpen. He uses his top relievers when the team has big leads all the time and than uses the likes of Wayne Franklin when the Yankees are up by 1 run in the 8th.

The reason Joe won with the Yankees is because they have great teams. The other reason is that when the Yankees won their championships the Yankees had a great bullpen. It's when the bullpen does not have all great pitchers that Joe shows his true colors.

If you look at his in-game decisions, you could make a legit argument that he is one of the most overated managers in sports.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manager's decisions can always be questioned and debated. To me, the only way to judge a Manager is by the overall body of work. Torre has been excellent overall in his tenure as the Yankee skipper.

Was Weaver over-rated? He had superb pitching, and excellent hitting most of those seasons with the Birds. He was actually called a "push-button" manager.

There have been some guys with great reputations who never won (Gene Mauch) and clowns who won (Stengel).

A good test is what can a guy do with a lousy team. A Billy Matrin could do wonders for such a team, but couldn't keep his temper under control. Therefore, he didn't last too long anywhere.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course they can be questioned and debated, but there are certain things that Torre does and you just know they are terrible decisions. Like sending Sturtze back out in a game we were losing on Wednesday after he had already thrown 1 and 1/3rd. 3 reasons why that was stupid: 1. Sturtze is a 1 inning pitcher now and has been great as a guy that only throws 1 inning. 2. He has shown signs of overuse and 3. He would not be available the next day. That proved costly in the next game when Torre went with Embree in a 1 run game. This was also incredibly stupid even though Sturtze was not available because FRod is 1. a better pitcher than Embree and 2. Better against leftys than Embree is. And 3, for good measure, Embree has been horrible this year to put it nicely. Embree should never see a 1 run game but Torre does not realize that.

Anyways, in baseball, talent wins. A great manager is not going to win much with a crap team and a crap manager is still going to win with a very good team. Torre is not a good manager. He is a bad manager and his bad managing has been hidden by managing great Yankee teams. There was a reason he was not thought of as a good manager before he was given the keys to the greatest team in sports.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Torre's use of the bullpen today was a disgrace. He managed to bring in Sturtze, Gordon, and Rivera in a game we were leading 6-0 going into the 8th. Torre has now killed Sturtze's arm. He needs a long rest but Torre is too stupid to realize that, just like he was too stupid to realize it with Quantrill last season. Gordon isn't that far behind. His arm will be dead come October just like last season.

Torre is the most overated manager in sports history and he's proving it again. Torre has already stolen 4 rings and millions of dollars from this organization, does he really have to kill the relievers arms too? What a f*cking joke this guy is. A complete f*cking joke.