Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Clemens

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Clemens

    The guy is unbelivable - He's currently having the best season by a pitcher in 30 years. And it hasn't gotten that much press - The ERA IS RIDICULOUS - I don't care how many wins Carpenter has, If Clemens finishes the season with an ERA under 1.5 - He wins Cy Young -

    I don't care if he only wins 15 games - Guess he isn't retiring at the end of this year either

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. Right now, he is definitely the NL Cy Young award winner.

    By the way, Mariano Rivera is the AL Cy Young award winner.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Agreed. Right now, he is definitely the NL Cy Young award winner.

    By the way, Mariano Rivera is the AL Cy Young award winner.
    Agree on both counts. I do hope that Roger gets to at least 18 wins, to go along with that microscopic ERA. Anything less would not "lool good", even though it would be a function of the team he plays for.

    Mo is the Cy Young candidate in the AL, as really no starter is dominating. I thought Halliday would be the choice, but his injury should cost him, IMO. Santana has not pitched like a Cy Young candidate, and the 2 White Sox pitchers, Galand and Buherle, have done very well, but not outstanding. Bonderman is a tad behind them. So, Mo is the choice, IMO.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    bangor, maine
    Posts
    2,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clemens should win Cy, but i bet he'll get screwed over

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackout806
    Clemens should win Cy, but i bet he'll get screwed over
    Yeah, but if he gets screwed over it will be for the exact same reason he won it last year - because of the W-L records. RJ should have won the award last year and Clemens should win it this year.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist
    The guy is unbelivable - He's currently having the best season by a pitcher in 30 years. And it hasn't gotten that much press - The ERA IS RIDICULOUS - I don't care how many wins Carpenter has, If Clemens finishes the season with an ERA under 1.5 - He wins Cy Young -

    I don't care if he only wins 15 games - Guess he isn't retiring at the end of this year either

    your right, i think clemens only get like 3.0-3.5 runs a game
    carpenter gets well over 5

    clemens is also a strikeout machine (well who doesnt know that)
    and he plays in a hitters park
    clemens is well deserved of CY #8

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Yeah, but if he gets screwed over it will be for the exact same reason he won it last year - because of the W-L records. RJ should have won the award last year and Clemens should win it this year.
    True. And iff he does, 8 Cy Young awards.

    Very impressive. Very.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are rumors that he will be suspended for 10 days.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    There are rumors that he will be suspended for 10 days.
    These ar still rumors, so no point in accepting them as fact......yet.

    But, if they are true, I guess that it was not all that great of a workout regiment Roger has.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    These ar still rumors, so no point in accepting them as fact......yet.

    But, if they are true, I guess that it was not all that great of a workout regiment Roger has.
    Exactly. And these rumors are nothing substantial. I hope it's not true.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Exactly. And these rumors are nothing substantial. I hope it's not true.

    One of his worst starts of the season tonight. With rumored suspensions coming tomorrow can you say distraction

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrud
    One of his worst starts of the season tonight. With rumored suspensions coming tomorrow can you say distraction
    I think the bad start had more to do with his bad back.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont know about the whole steriod thing... he's known for his workouts, can the media just think that a player is good because of hard work? i dont think you can knock clemens until he gets tests results back.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius
    i dont know about the whole steriod thing... he's known for his workouts, can the media just think that a player is good because of hard work? i dont think you can knock clemens until he gets tests results back.
    His workouts are legendary. Pettite can attest to that. So can Hideki Irabu, alas, the Fat Toad.

    The story I remember is that back in ST of 1999, during Clemens first season, earlu in camp, he went for a jog with Irabu after practice. They were in a park in the Tampa area somewhere. They were jogging around a track. The distance Clemens wanted to go was 5 miles, and he somehow talked Irabu into going with him. The story goes that after the first turn around the track, Clemens looked around and noticed he was alone. Then he heard some type of commotion. It seems Irabu collapsed behind him, and was being attended to by some others in the area.

    So much for Irabu ever being in shape. Clemens shortly thereafter found a friend in Pettite, and they were as tight as anything thereafter.

    But, to still throw 95 after all these years, I guess he is on something.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us