Thread: David Wright - catch of the year?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

David Wright - catch of the year?

anyone see it?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unbelievable catch

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I missed it and wasn't going to watch SC or ESPNEWS because of that Yankee game...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If anybody can get video, that would be great... but I'll probably catch it on Sportscenter. Wright is going to be a star in this league...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was sick. he's probably made 2 of this years top 10 catches.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Unreal Catch!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    unbelievable. Easily the best catch of the year. Full extension, over the shoulder layed out, barehanded ???

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The video is on the mets web site in case anyone wants to see it. It probably won't go down as a great catch because he doesn't play for the yankees and he's not Derek Jeter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i was watching the game, the announced said something to the effect of, that's probably the best catch i've ever seen, ever.

that's a bit of an exaggeration

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80
    i was watching the game, the announced said something to the effect of, that's probably the best catch i've ever seen, ever.

that's a bit of an exaggeration
    Name one better

Kevin Mitchell, barehanded in the outfield? Wasn't a diving grab, and he was facing the ball the whole time.

Willie Mays, the basket catch? Great play, going away from the plate, but he used his glove.

Any of the astounding diving catches made by Andruw Jones, Eric Byrnes, Griffey Jr., etc? Again, they used their gloves.

Torii "Spiderman" Hunter? Gloved.

DJBOMBER
    Yeah it was unbelievable!!!!!! That is the 3rd great catch he made this season. Twice he dove into the stands but this one was the best. And yeah if he wore a different jersey you would see it a lot more. I hope Wright will be the Mets Jeter for years to come. He seems to have everthing we love in a player, hardnose,loves the game,great with fans. I went to the Mets/SD game a couple of weeks back and he threw at least 20 balls to the fans in the outfield. He seems like a great kid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    pretty nifty catch and I realize you Met fans need something to cheer about but come on now....it was off a broken bat blooper that was just floating, not too hard to go barehanded with a fluffer like that....alll this carrying on I expected a bit more

but it was a nice catch, nothing unreal

see video here

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see what is great about it, it's a good catch but great is stretching it. It was a weak falling pop up, catching it bare handed was not that difficult, this was not kevin Mitchell back in the late 80s catching a deep drive in foul territory in LF.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Name one better

Kevin Mitchell, barehanded in the outfield? Wasn't a diving grab, and he was facing the ball the whole time.

Willie Mays, the basket catch? Great play, going away from the plate, but he used his glove.

Any of the astounding diving catches made by Andruw Jones, Eric Byrnes, Griffey Jr., etc? Again, they used their gloves.

just because it was bare handed doesn't make it harder than using his glove. the ball was floating. i'm not taking credit away from wright. it was an amazing catch, but i think it's harder to catch a ball going full speed than just falling down from the sky.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's been the man lately. with that web gem last night he's bound to win an award from espn. now tonight he's got 6 RBIs, this kid is the real deal. I have mlb extra innings and everytime the mets are on the road and the game is televised by the other team the annoucers mention him as a future star. Him and Reyes are gonna produce for a long time

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Name one better

I don't think it's fair to disqualify them just because they used their gloves. They have to or else there is no way they would catch them because they were hit too hard. The ball that Wright caught was hit soft enough so he could do that. Still, it was an amazing play and certainly one of the best I've seen.

I think my favorite defensive play besides Jeter going into the stands (overrated? if only every player gave the amount of effort he does) is that diving play Edmonds made when he was with the Angels. Remember when he made a diving catch with his back towards the infield? That was incredible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was an absolutely amazing play. AMAZING! Yes, catch of the year. No doubt about it in my mind.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisthegreat
    I don't think it's fair to disqualify them just because they used their gloves. They have to or else there is no way they would catch them because they were hit too hard. The ball that Wright caught was hit soft enough so he could do that. Still, it was an amazing play and certainly one of the best I've seen.

I think my favorite defensive play besides Jeter going into the stands (overrated? if only every player gave the amount of effort he does) is that diving play Edmonds made when he was with the Angels. Remember when he made a diving catch with his back towards the infield? That was incredible.
    I remember that one. Edmonds is at the top of the list in career highlight catches.

Wright made a super play, but it was a blooper, off the bat of a lefty hitter, towards the opposite field. Great catch, but not an all time great. But that's not taking anything away from it.

Mays in the WS was as clutch as it gets, and he covered a lot of ground to get there. But I thought the best part was the throw he made right after the catch towards the infield. On a line, straight and true.

A. Jones alwaays has a few choice ones, and so does Hunter. Mitchell's was a beaut, although I am a bit fuzzy on that one.

Besides May's catch, the 2 by Agee in 1969 WS against the Birds, in the same game, were super fabulous.