Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Two more positive tests?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Two more positive tests?

There have been rumors that two major stars have tested positive for steroids. Michael Kay was talking about it around 6pm EST today on 1050. He said he had heard the names but would not say them. One from the AL and one from the NL. He said that if it is true that it would be crushing for MLB. I believe he said one was a future HOFer and the other probably was too.

Has anybody heard any rumors about who the two players are? The way Kay was talking about it, it seems as though he felt these would be huge names and would be very dissapointing for the fans. He actually sounded depressed over it. I wonder if these two are local guys.

I am not going to throw names out there, wouldnt want to start up a blown up internet rumor, but this could huge.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't heard that and in fact, Selig was on PTI the other day and said that there were no positive steroid tests coming up. He said there was one questionable test, but that it was a young player. And, he has no reason to lie about that, so I'll take his word for it.

Lets do some guesses though. Mine is:
    Manny Ramirez and Albert Pujols.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allright, I just read through a huge thread on this on nyyfans.com and you are right, Michael Kay definitely said these things.

So, lets break this down. What player, if caught is 1. A sure HOF'er and 2. would bring baseball to its knees.

First name that comes to everyones mind:

Roger Clemens - and there supposedly are some rumors.

What other players fit this criteria?
    A-Rod
    Jeter
    Pujols?
    Bonds?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny that you guys mentioned those names.Wth the exception of Bonds (I figured he was old news) and Manny (Just didnt think of him) those are the names I thought of.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't heard anything about it but my guesses would have to be Bonds and Soriano. I hope I'm wrong in Sori's case. I sure as heck hope it's not a Yankee (Shef?)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you would not have said the "young player" fact, I would have said Bonds and Sheffield.

Throw in that factor, and it could still be Bonds, or Clemens from the NL. If that is correct, and the other player is from the AL, and is a young player, and a possible HOF guy, that makes it tougher. This eliminates the Manny's and Sheffield's of the world. It would be a Tejada type. I doubt Tajeda is on anything, as he looks quite small. This leaves some guesses---

Ortiz?
    Chavez?
    Garrett Anderson? (again, does not look it!)
    Soriano?
    Vernon Wells?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    If you would not have said the "young player" fact, I would have said Bonds and Sheffield.

Throw in that factor, and it could still be Bonds, or Clemens from the NL. If that is correct, and the other player is from the AL, and is a young player, and a possible HOF guy, that makes it tougher. This eliminates the Manny's and Sheffield's of the world. It would be a Tejada type. I doubt Tajeda is on anything, as he looks quite small. This leaves some guesses---

Ortiz?
    Chavez?
    Garrett Anderson? (again, does not look it!)
    Soriano?
    Vernon Wells?
    The way I've heard that Kay was talking about it it sounds like a much bigger name than Soriano or Chavez or Wells. I doubt Anderson's taking them but Ortiz is a possibitly. Goes from mediocre hitter with the Twins to yearly MVP candidate with the Red Sox...interesting. I'm betting Clemens is one though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my mind there are only 4 guys (maybe 5) who if were caught taking steroids would bring baseball to its knees. Unfortunately, 3 of those guys are Yankees.
    Roger Clemens, A-Rod, Derek Jeter, and Mariano Rivera are the top 4. Pujols would be next but I don't think that would "Bring baseball to its knees."

So, I think if it is actually true that the news would bring baseball to its knees, I think it would have to be one of those 4. I've got money on Clemens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I havent heard anything new in a while. If this is a true story, I would hope to hear something soon.

I would have to disagree about Mariano. Yankee fans would be crushed, but I dont think he would have the same impact league wide as the others you mentioned.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by helbigjet
    I havent heard anything new in a while. If this is a true story, I would hope to hear something soon.

I would have to disagree about Mariano. Yankee fans would be crushed, but I dont think he would have the same impact league wide as the others you mentioned.
    Yeah, you might be right. If Mariano tested positive (and in no way do I think that this is even a possibility), I would be absolutely crushed. I would, without a doubt, take at least a year off from baseball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Yeah, you might be right. If Mariano tested positive (and in no way do I think that this is even a possibility), I would be absolutely crushed. I would, without a doubt, take at least a year off from baseball.
    With the season Mo is having (Cy Young candidate), it would be a crushing blow to Baseball. Consider his career also, almost unreal for a relief pitcher.

However, if he is taking them, he should get a refund. They haven't helped him grow bigger at all. Compare his photo to his 1996 one. Looks almost the same, except for his face, which has some wrinkles on it now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the season Mo is having (Cy Young candidate), it would be a crushing blow to Baseball. Consider his career also, almost unreal for a relief pitcher.

However, if he is taking them, he should get a refund. They haven't helped him grow bigger at all. Compare his photo to his 1996 one. Looks almost the same, except for his face, which has some wrinkles on it now.
    Yeah, I'm not worried about it at all. He would be the most devestating guy to be named in my mind though.

As for the CY candidate, I have been saying that I think he should win it if he doesn't blow another save. Unfortunately he did so I have to stand by that.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    In my mind there are only 4 guys (maybe 5) who if were caught taking steroids would bring baseball to its knees. Unfortunately, 3 of those guys are Yankees.
    Roger Clemens, A-Rod, Derek Jeter, and Mariano Rivera are the top 4. Pujols would be next but I don't think that would "Bring baseball to its knees."

So, I think if it is actually true that the news would bring baseball to its knees, I think it would have to be one of those 4. I've got money on Clemens.

I've thought for quite a while that Clemens is a strong possibility. His age, his current performance, how hard he throws, a for sure HOF'er.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So when is the news coming out?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So when is the news coming out?
    I remember hearing that a big name was caught in May or something like that. I assume that was Palmeiro and we just found out about that recently. My guess is they are going through the whole process and we won't find out for a while.