Thread: OT: Knicks cut the Junkyard Dog!

OT: Knicks cut the Junkyard Dog!

Would someone please tell me why, why, why, WHY we cut the JYD and kept Mo Taylor? Taylor is absolutely friggin useless! Hell, we could have cut Taylor or Shandon over JYD.

Not cutting Houston is understandable, as he has said if he's not healthy by Oct. he will retire, but at least Williams brought a bad-a*s mentality to the locker room. Taylor has been nothing short of a complete bust since being a first round pick a few years ago.

Word has it that JYD wanted to retire anyways, if that's true, or we weren't clearing a roster spot for another player (and who's out there anyways?), this absolutely makes no sense at all.

All League
    Rumor has it that the NYK are offerring him a job with the organization....so, maybe the health issues were a real concern? Maybe he was going to retire anyway so the Knicks save the $20 mill he was owed against the luxury cap.

Don't Taylor and Anderson have expiring contracts next summer too?

Veteran
    4 points, 4 rebounds...7 mill. a year...great D but not enough I guess...I will miss him, he reminded me of a kinder, non-jump-shooting oakley.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    Rumor has it that the NYK are offerring him a job with the organization....so, maybe the health issues were a real concern? Maybe he was going to retire anyway so the Knicks save the $20 mill he was owed against the luxury cap.

If he was going to retire I think they could have found a way to buy out the deal to get some type of salary cap and luxury cap relief. Im surprised they did not cut Rose instead. Rose has three years on his deal, whereas JYD only has 2, and he makes about the same money. The players coming off the cap after this season for the Knicks are Hardaway and Thomas, which is close to 30 million off the cap.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81

i hope he stays within the jets organization

Seems like he will.

The word is that the Knicks are offering him a community relations job, and this will also allow him to continue his charity work, which i understand he spends a lot of time with. Something called the JYD Foundation, or something like that.

His body is shot. Tremendous hustle, but his body has had it. Good move by the Knicks, especially if A. Houston does retire if he can't make a go of it. That could save the Knicks the Luxury tax on his contract also, and insurance will pick up close to 30 million of the remaining 40 million +.

Net savings: over 80 million between Houston and JYD. Cutting Houston only saves 40 million.

YOu are so Right!!!

Yup.. He was a hard player he was the one that gave us desire even to see the knicks play...

CUT
    Houston
    Penny
    Thomas

WE still need a Center to help out our rookie I say get Dampier... from Dallas trade for him....
    And get Van Horn back...

Quote Originally Posted by rocajf
    Yup.. He was a hard player he was the one that gave us desire even to see the knicks play...

CUT
    Houston
    Penny
    Thomas

WE still need a Center to help out our rookie I say get Dampier... from Dallas trade for him....
    And get Van Horn back...
    Dampier has shown last season that he was a $12 million waste of money. His signing would have reminded everyone of the Layden days when Weatherspoon, Anderson, Eisley and company received contracts way above their worth.

Van Horn? He plays no defense, and Brown is not the type who will tolerat him.
    Besides, in the NBA, you don't cut just to clear a spot. You still have cap and luxury tax issues, and still can't use the cut money to sign someone else. It isn't like the NFL.

Why do the Knickerbockers sign a bunch of role players?

Do what the bulls did and draft a bunch of hard nosed players.

GO BULLS!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Dampier has shown last season that he was a $12 million waste of money. His signing would have reminded everyone of the Layden days when Weatherspoon, Anderson, Eisley and company received contracts way above their worth.

Van Horn? He plays no defense, and Brown is not the type who will tolerat him.
    Besides, in the NBA, you don't cut just to clear a spot. You still have cap and luxury tax issues, and still can't use the cut money to sign someone else. It isn't like the NFL.
    The Van Horn trade was a mistake for the Knicks since they got back junk, but I would never revisit him again. That said, Brown dealt with him in Philly and would probably take him compared to Tim Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423
    The Van Horn trade was a mistake for the Knicks since they got back junk, but I would never revisit him again. That said, Brown dealt with him in Philly and would probably take him compared to Tim Thomas.
    I would take Tim Thomas in a contract year over Van Horn in a contract year. Thomas has the skills to at least improve. With Van Horn, what you see is what you get.