Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Embree & Proctor

  1. #1

    Embree & Proctor

    I guess this proves that if you keep moving into buildings that other people abondon, eventually one or two of them will collapse on you.

    What is the deal with Scott Proctor? this pathetic hack threw 17 pitches for a grand total of (count 'em) 3 strikes. Let's give him the 4 pitches for the IBB...that is 13 balls to 3 strikes with an obvious balk thrown in for good measure.

    What exactly is he good at? There must be a reason he's hauling in more than $300K a year.

    Is it his 10 earned runs surrendered in his last 17 innings?
    Is it his ratio of a HR surrendered every 4 IP?
    Or his average of 4+ walks per 9 innings?
    Or is it the comfort of knowing that no matter what the situation, you can be assured that in any situation, any runner he inherits will score...that consistency must give Joe & Mel a warm fuzzy feeling. He completely sucks but at least they know where they stand whenever he trots out from left center.

  2. #2
    couldnt have said it better myself

  3. #3
    He had that good outing as a pinch hit starter last Thursday, but he was brutal yesterday. He wasn't close with Perez, and was worse with Gomes, the final walk.

    I thought hi sintentional walk was closer to a strike then the last 4 he threw to Gomes.

    Disgraceful. Just let them hit the ball.

  4. #4
    Maybe it's just the filter of time, but I don't seem to remember any season in the last decade where we witnessed total clunker pitching performances at the rate we are this year.

    For still unexplained reasons, team hitting is still a hot or cold type of deal...and in the past the Yankees have always seemed to fight through it with a dominant pitching performance to pull them out of the funk...this season, it seems like the pitchers are just driving the team further into the muck

    I understand that the opponent are professionals too trying to win , and from time to time everyone has an off night, but outings like Proctor's mess last night are occurring several times a week...and they all seem to fall more in the total cataclysmic implosion category than just occasional misplaced pitches.

    Pavano, Wright, Leiter, Johnson, Embree, Gordon, F-Rod,Quantrill, Stanton, Sturtze, and now Proctor all are seeming to have catastrophic meltdowns almost weekly.

    Just an observation.

  5. #5
    Torre is a f*cking idiot. He thinks Proctor and Embree are better than FRod. Goddamn moron. TORRE: JUST BECAUSE EMBREE THROWS WITH HIS F*CKING LEFT HAND DOES NOT MAKE HIM GOOD AGAINST LEFTYS. THE RED SOX CUT HIM BECAUSE HE IS A BAD PITCHER NOW. GET IT THROUGH YOUR GODDAMN HEAD THAT JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE THROWS WITH THEIR LEFT HAND DOES NOT MAKE HIM GOOD AGAINST F*CKING LEFTYS.

    This idiot is the most overated manager in the history of sports. He has stolen 4 rings and millions of dollars from this organization - and now this moron is making idiotic decisions that may cost us a chance at that postseason. When this overated and overpaid POS manager gets fired, every Yankee fan should celebrate.

  6. #6
    I think it's fair enough to question some of Torre's moves, but in the end, Torre isn't the one who has to find the strike zone in a jam. What Proctor did (or more accurately failed to do) is pathetic for a highly-paid professional. It's one thing to have an off night, but what Proctor did is simply a heartless implosion. He was scared to death, and showed absolutely zero capacity to step up in the crunch. For a major league pitcher to issue a bases loaded game-winning walk on four pitches, that frankly weren't even close tells me a lot about what the guy is made of.

    Scott Proctor just doesn't have it.

  7. #7
    Just found this quote...

    Pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre believes that once the starting rotation begins to find its groove, the bullpen will have a lighter load to share.

    "We've been going there in the past pretty regularly," Stottlemyre said. "That's one thing that hopefully will help us, if the starters become a little more consistent getting deep in the game. We have some guys out there that have been used a lot, and a couple of them aren't at full strength."


    Would someone check me on this...it is August 18th right? We are 119 games into the season right? At what point does Mel think this is going to happen?

  8. #8
    I hate it that the yankees bullpen is so predictable....its not interesting to watch late innings of a close game when you know they are going to find some way to blow it....Mel is just looking for excuses.....such a disappointment

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffboy
    I think it's fair enough to question some of Torre's moves, but in the end, Torre isn't the one who has to find the strike zone in a jam. What Proctor did (or more accurately failed to do) is pathetic for a highly-paid professional. It's one thing to have an off night, but what Proctor did is simply a heartless implosion. He was scared to death, and showed absolutely zero capacity to step up in the crunch. For a major league pitcher to issue a bases loaded game-winning walk on four pitches, that frankly weren't even close tells me a lot about what the guy is made of.

    Scott Proctor just doesn't have it.
    I blame Scott Proctor too. But, our manager is getting paid $6 million dollars a year to make good decisions. His decisions are horrendous. Proctor should have never been in that position. The fact that Leiter is in the rotation instead of Small is a joke and it hurts the teams chances to win. Joe Torre is the most overated and most overpaid manager in the history of sports. The guy has stolen 4 rings and millions of dollars from the organization - now he is going to single handedly kill our postseason chances.

  10. #10
    Last night. 4th inning. Yanks up by a 1-0 score. Man on 3rd, 1 out. Torre brings the inf. in. At that point, with Wright settled down, this was not the textbook move. But Joe did it anyway, and Cano threw out the runner at home. Smart move by a man who is constantly under fire.

    Perhaps attitudes will change when the Yanks get into the post-season, and make some noise. Is Joe responsible for Randy looking like a $16 million theif? Is Joe responsible for Pavano, Brown and Wright being hurt for so long? Is he responsible for the horrible folks they give him for the pen, forcing him to use Sturtze, Gordon and Mo every day to have a shot at winning?

    I am not the biggest Torre backer, but I can't finger him for this season. He has made moves that didn't work out (Embree to Kornerko) but they were the right moves. But the pitching staff was not anywhere close to what it should have been.

    That has been the Yankees major problem. If Randy was close to Randy, even with Pavano, Brown, Wright hurt, the Yankees are at least 2 up on Boston. At least. Just on that one guy.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Last night. 4th inning. Yanks up by a 1-0 score. Man on 3rd, 1 out. Torre brings the inf. in. At that point, with Wright settled down, this was not the textbook move. But Joe did it anyway, and Cano threw out the runner at home. Smart move by a man who is constantly under fire.
    Because we were up by only 1 run and their guy was pitching well, I think it was the right move and the move that all managers would have made.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Perhaps attitudes will change when the Yanks get into the post-season, and make some noise. Is Joe responsible for Randy looking like a $16 million theif? Is Joe responsible for Pavano, Brown and Wright being hurt for so long? Is he responsible for the horrible folks they give him for the pen, forcing him to use Sturtze, Gordon and Mo every day to have a shot at winning?
    No. No. Yes, he is responsible for that. Last night he used Sturtze in a game we were winning by 6 runs. He constantly has used Sturtze and Gordon in blowout games. That is the reason they have been overused. He also severely underuses other relievers that should be pitching more and should always be in those blowout games. FRod has a proven track record and should be pitching more.


    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    I am not the biggest Torre backer, but I can't finger him for this season. He has made moves that didn't work out (Embree to Kornerko) but they were the right moves. But the pitching staff was not anywhere close to what it should have been.
    Embree to Konerko was the wrong move. Konerko may not have hit leftys well this year, but he has throughout his career. Those are the numbers you have to look at in that situation - not to mention the fact that Embree is a bad pitcher and should never be in close games.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    That has been the Yankees major problem. If Randy was close to Randy, even with Pavano, Brown, Wright hurt, the Yankees are at least 2 up on Boston. At least. Just on that one guy.
    And if Joe knew how to use a bullpen we would be at least 2 up on Boston.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Because we were up by only 1 run and their guy was pitching well, I think it was the right move and the move that all managers would have made.
    It was the right move. And no, most managers would not bring the inf. in during the 4th inning of a 1 run game, where you have at least 6 more innings at the opposing pitcher. Score 1 for Torre.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    No. No. Yes, he is responsible for that. Last night he used Sturtze in a game we were winning by 6 runs. He constantly has used Sturtze and Gordon in blowout games. That is the reason they have been overused. He also severely underuses other relievers that should be pitching more and should always be in those blowout games. FRod has a proven track record and should be pitching more.
    F-Rod pitches like he is trying to throw as straight as possible. His pitches are not moving this year. Same story as when he was with the Giants, and why they gave up this young, fire-throwing arm. He has no control in the strike zone. Torre is stuck with using the big 3, just like he was stuck last year with Quan, Gor, Mo.


    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Embree to Konerko was the wrong move. Konerko may not have hit leftys well this year, but he has throughout his career. Those are the numbers you have to look at in that situation - not to mention the fact that Embree is a bad pitcher and should never be in close games.
    Sorry. I disagree with you here. I don't care what a guy has done in his career. This season, Korneko is not hitting lefties. End of story. This was the correct move.

    If we look at what a guy has done in his career, then Randy should be 16-6 now, and the Yankees should be 2-3 games ahead of Boston, and the World would be lauding Joe for keeping his team on top, in spite of losing 4 of hi stop 6 starters for extended periods of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    And if Joe knew how to use a bullpen we would be at least 2 up on Boston.
    Based on the lack of quality there, I think he's done quite OK. You say that Sturtze pitched with a 6 run lead. Well, he also has not pitched since last Wednesday, or Tuesday, so he was well rested. Notice that Mo and Gordon did not pitch last night. And if the score is again 6-0 going into the 8th (fat chance with Leiter there), then F-Rod and or Small will be there. Mark it down.

  13. #13
    JeffWeaverFan.

    I disagree with your previous post. But I still fully respect your opinions, and always look forward to reading them.

    On both this site and the other one.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    It was the right move. And no, most managers would not bring the inf. in during the 4th inning of a 1 run game, where you have at least 6 more innings at the opposing pitcher. Score 1 for Torre.
    For the sake of argument, I'll agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    F-Rod pitches like he is trying to throw as straight as possible. His pitches are not moving this year. Same story as when he was with the Giants, and why they gave up this young, fire-throwing arm. He has no control in the strike zone. Torre is stuck with using the big 3, just like he was stuck last year with Quan, Gor, Mo.
    I just disagree here. I see a lot of movement on FRod's pitches. Either way, I'm not arguing that FRod should be in close games, just in games we have leads of 4 or more runs in. Torre might be stuck with the big 3 in close games (as most teams are), but that means that he should never go to them in games we have comfortable leads in.



    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Sorry. I disagree with you here. I don't care what a guy has done in his career. This season, Korneko is not hitting lefties. End of story. This was the correct move.
    This season he has had only 102 AB's against leftys. It was less at that time. That is way too little of a sample size when the guy has a history of hitting leftys very well. It's like having Embree face Manny Ramirez because he hasn't been hitting leftys well this year - even though he crushes leftys in general. Also, although his batting average against leftys isn't great, he still has a great SLG percentage against them of .529. Either way, another point about that is Alan Embree should not be in close games. He is a bad pitcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    If we look at what a guy has done in his career, then Randy should be 16-6 now, and the Yankees should be 2-3 games ahead of Boston, and the World would be lauding Joe for keeping his team on top, in spite of losing 4 of hi stop 6 starters for extended periods of time.
    This comparison doesn't work. Randy has gotten old. Konerko is still young and him not having a good batting average against leftys for 100 AB's this season is not grounds to have a lefty face him.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Based on the lack of quality there, I think he's done quite OK. You say that Sturtze pitched with a 6 run lead. Well, he also has not pitched since last Wednesday, or Tuesday, so he was well rested. Notice that Mo and Gordon did not pitch last night. And if the score is again 6-0 going into the 8th (fat chance with Leiter there), then F-Rod and or Small will be there. Mark it down.
    It's the fact that he should be using the lesser quality guys in blowout games. I know Sturtze has had a long rest of late, but he still has been overused. The more rest he gets the better. If he can rest for 2 weeks, rest him for 2 weeks. The fact is is that Sturtze had to be used in a tight game yesterday and did not look as sharp as he did the day before - when he was well rested.

  15. #15
    After closely watching F-Rod last night, again, I do not see anything with his pitches that tells me he can be trusted. There is no movement. He throws hard, but straight. And his location is not real good.

    Now, Enbree does not seem to be any better. The guy they need is Matt Smith, who has been lights out since someone in the Yankee braintrust finally figured out that he is solid for 2-3 innings, then implodes, so let's make him a relief pitcher.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    JeffWeaverFan.

    I disagree with your previous post. But I still fully respect your opinions, and always look forward to reading them.

    On both this site and the other one.
    Yes, I feel the exact same way.

    As for Matt Smith, I've heard good things about him but it's not going to happen - at least this year. Maybe in the September callup he can be given a shot.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Yes, I feel the exact same way.

    As for Matt Smith, I've heard good things about him but it's not going to happen - at least this year. Maybe in the September callup he can be given a shot.
    Probably right, although I do hope he gets called up this Sept. We shall see.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us