Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Islanders

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Islanders

im ecited aboout them. i wanted to get the feel on how all of you guys think their going to do

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll miss Peca.

I think you'll spend 3 days a week loving Satan, and the other 4 hating him.

I think Zhitnik eats minutes for the defense, but he's a step too slow and will cost you a few late game interference penalties (that is if the league actually enforces the rules like they claim they will every year)

I think you might have a Vezina Trophy winner between your pipes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember right, the Isles play a trap style offense, which may give them problems with the new rules, unless they decide to switch styles, even then there will be an adjustment period. I think their biggest problem will be the depth of the Southeast division. Every team except the Crapitals have a ligit shot at the making the playoffs which will make it tough for the Isles to make the playoffs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zhitnik's good, but you'll miss Aucoin defensive abilities (and your goalie). Satan's good but Peca was a true leader !

I don't think it's their year yet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way the NHL is this season (so many unknowns and player moves), every team will have shot at the playoffs, except maybe the Carolina Hurricanes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins44
    The way the NHL is this season (so many unknowns and player moves), every team will have shot at the playoffs, except maybe the Carolina Hurricanes
    Actually I think the Canes finish 2nd in the South East behind the Lightning.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Panthers have a better shot (2nd south east) with all their new players (Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Hill, Stumpel, Cairns, Gelinas) but mainly because of LUONGO !

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex
    I believe the Panthers have a better shot (2nd south east) with all their new players (Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Hill, Stumpel, Cairns, Gelinas) but mainly because of LUONGO !
    I would agree except Luongo is a bit overrated in my opinion. His numbers are pretty middle of the pack at best. Also, he wants out of there in a big way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to welcome him (Luongo) in Montreal !!! No offense, put the Panthers D, not being the best in the league, inflates the Luongo results (numbers)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex
    Zhitnik's good, but you'll miss Aucoin defensive abilities (and your goalie). Satan's good but Peca was a true leader !

I don't think it's their year yet.
    Peca's leadership abilities were so overrated. He was such a great "leader" that there was team turmoil in the locker room for all of his three seasons with the Islanders. There was actually one time where teh team had a huge fight in the locker room before a game and they were throwing equipment at eachother.

The team was divided into clics and factions, AND despite the fact that Peca is no longer the player he once was (Darcy Tucker ruined his career) and that he is no longer worth his salary in a new CBA Milbury knew what he was doing by getting rid of Peca.

As for the Islanders this season. I dont know what to expect of them. I do know they'll score a lot of goals, and as good as aucoin was in the regular season he stunk it up in the playoffs 3 straight years. No huge loss there.

My biggest beef with the Islanders is once again they are small and soft for the eastern conference. A big year by DiPietro and they should be good enough to win the 6th-8th seed.
    Last edited by JetsMan57; 08-28-2005 at 03:21 PM.