Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Would media focus on grieving moms who back President Bush? Lib Editor Faces Reality

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Would media focus on grieving moms who back President Bush? Lib Editor Faces Reality

[B]Would cameras focus on grieving moms who back President Bush?

By HARRY REYNOLDS, Opinon Page editor [/B]

The anti-war protests outside President Bush's Crawford ranch won't help those serving in the military in Iraq.

A common assumption by our enemies is the United States doesn't have staying power.

What we perceive to be great victories in the first and second Gulf Wars does not impress terrorists and insurgents in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Nor Iran, for that matter.

What happened in Somalia in the wake of the ambush in which a number of American soldiers died followed by our quick exit from that country sent a message to our enemies:

If we hang on long enough, kill enough soldiers, focus a lot of media attention on protesters, give full vent to every setback, and ignore every gain, the Americans will quit.

[B]Unfortunately, they may be right. We've become a nation expecting war to be easy, quick and bloodless.[/B] (he must lurk around here and read bitonti's posts....)

Beyond doubt, the perception greatly enhances the conviction on the part of our enemies valid or not that Americans will turn and run once the cameras focus.

Dangerous, that assumption; in its soil, the seeds of disaster grow. If we do not dispel terrorists, nations harboring terrorists, and totalitarian governments of their quite understandable mantra, we run grave risk of becoming ducks in the proverbial shooting gallery.

Bush's refusal to meet publicly with the woman who sparked the protests doesn't seem right, viewed from the perch of self-indignation, and fueled by self-righteousness.

Cindy Sheehan of Vacaville, Calif., showed up outside the Bush ranch on Aug. 6. Sheehan began her protest in memory of her 24-year-old son, Casey, killed in Iraq last year.

Monday night, the Secret Service agents and sheriff's deputies arrested an apparent protester of the protests. The man claimed he fired his gun in preparation for dove hunting.

Sheehan commented on the incident, saying, "I think we knew of the risks when we came down here. I'm surprised we haven't had more of that since we're in Bush country."

Which may have upset some Texans who live in Bush country and, more particularly, those who have loved ones serving in Iraq, or in graves.

A signature mark of many war protesters can be found in their singular arrogance; they brandish "peace" as the solution to any war.

More disquieting, barely concealed contempt for Bush and the place he calls home, openly displayed.

Contempt rises, as it often does, from such a self-indulgent belief, contempt bordering on condescension.

In 2004, the president met with grieving families, which included Sheehan's.

One wonders what would have happened in World War II had our view been shaped by around-the-clock TV coverage of mothers who felt compelled to demand that the United States call home its troops because their sons had been killed in combat.

The protests against Bush caught the media's attention in August, when Washington, D.C. is basically shut down.

Many presidents have taken vacations in August. In any case, presidents are entitled to relax sometimes. Even then, they are on call 24-hours a day; they shoulder the burdens of the nation wherever they go.

We elect them to lead. If the president does something a constituent likes, he is right. If, on the other hand, the president does something a constituent does not like, he is wrong.

We insist our presidents make decisions based on what what we, as individuals, believe to be in the best interest of the nation.

All 290 million-plus Americans cannot run the country. It would be sheer chaos; anarchy would reign.

Bush and I don't agree on much, but there is one characteristic of this president that demands respect.

The man does not run the country by the polls. He does what he was elected to do lead.

He is bound to make mistakes, sometimes; no president has completed his tenure with a perfect score.

Bush has plenty of faults, and I'll be glad to see a Democratic president in office after he leaves.

But, the Democrats have to start staking out strong positions on domestic and foreign policy. That's what beat John Kerry: no fresh ideas.

The Bush Administration made a lot of mistakes in Iraq, starting with a lack of a coherent plan for dealing with that country after the war.

Approximately 1,800 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq, thousands others wounded.

Still, when compared to many of the wars in which America has been engaged some for far less compelling reasons than Iraq the toll is rather low.

While one feels compassion for Sheehan, her son volunteered. He was not drafted. He didn't complain.

Few soldiers who died protested the war before death laid its claim. And few among the wounded have declared their mission wrong.

History will be the final judge. If Iraq evolves into a democracy, however flawed, it will help stabilize an area that poses a danger to the world.

If Bush is to meet again with Sheehan, he should also meet all the other mothers who have lost sons and daughters to the war.

But, would it be accorded the same intense media coverage Sheehan has received?

Not likely.

[url]http://www.jg-tc.com/articles/2005/08/18/opinions/harry_reynolds/ophr45.txt[/url]

(why do I call him a lib editor?? Read his other articles)

-------------------------------------------------------

Here's a litmus test for the media to see if they'll cover both sides of this story:

[B]Supporters of U.S. Involvement in Iraq Plan Caravans to Texas [/B]

The anti-war protest by a Vacaville mother outside the president's Texas ranch is galvanizing some who support the country's continued involvement in Iraq. One of those is a serviceman's mother who feels now more than ever the country must stand strong behind the troops.

Roseville resident Deborah Johns' son William is a Marine stationed in Iraq. She sympathizes with Cindy Sheehan, the anti-war protester who lost her son to enemy fire 16 months ago. However, Johns believes a pull-out now would negate what troops are fighting for in Iraq. She takes exception to Sheehan's protest and plans to do something about it.

"It absolutely mushroomed, but that's our liberal media," said Johns. "They continue to like to hear the negative and not the positive that's going on." Johns is organizing what could be hundreds of others to participate in a caravan leaving San Francisco on Monday. The caravan is destined for Crawford, Texas, in a gesture of support for President George W. Bush.

Johns believes it's important to demonstrate her support for the course Bush has chosen. "If God took my son and called him home, I would continue to stand behind my military men and women and I would continue to support my president of the United States," she said.

Sheehan's protest has also been fodder for conservative talk radio, which is urging listeners to join a number of caravans being organized by Move America Forward, a conservative Sacramento-based organization that, according to its website, is dedicated to supporting the troops and the fight against terrorism.
    --------------------------------------------

Here's the link:

[url]http://www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp?id=12639[/url]

Watch the video...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [i]"Dangerous, that assumption; in its soil, the seeds of disaster grow. If we do not dispel terrorists, nations harboring terrorists, and totalitarian governments of their quite understandable mantra, we run grave risk of becoming ducks in the proverbial shooting gallery."[/i]

Is it just me or does the authors writing style seem Yoda-esque?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15][i]"Dangerous, that assumption; in its soil, the seeds of disaster grow. If we do not dispel terrorists, nations harboring terrorists, and totalitarian governments of their quite understandable mantra, we run grave risk of becoming ducks in the proverbial shooting gallery."[/i]

Is it just me or does the authors writing style seem Yoda-esque?[/QUOTE]

Seriously...go write a poem dude...pfft.

Poerty - who needs it? I took a poetry class in college and was amused by it. It's just a bunch of self-indulgent people wrapping their neuroses in pleasant costumes if you ask me. I can count the number of good poems ever written on the fingers of one hand.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Poerty - who needs it? I took a poetry class in college and was amused by it. It's just a bunch of self-indulgent people wrapping their neuroses in pleasant costumes if you ask me. I can count the number of good poems ever written on the fingers of one hand."

Thats pretty funny. I took a class on Shakespear and felt the same way. I can't believe I spent good money to study fiction. Poetry & fiction are nothing more than hobbies. Might as well have taken a course in model trains or building one of those tiny ships in a bottle.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY][B]Unfortunately, they may be right. We've become a nation expecting war to be easy, quick and bloodless.[/B] (he must lurk around here and read bitonti's posts....)
    [/QUOTE]

they don't have to be easy quick or bloodless they just have to be for a reason that makes sense.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Seriously...go write a poem dude...pfft.

Poerty - who needs it? I took a poetry class in college and was amused by it. It's just a bunch of self-indulgent people wrapping their neuroses in pleasant costumes if you ask me. I can count the number of good poems ever written on the fingers of one hand.[/QUOTE]

Poetry is lame
    Retarded ramblings open to strange interpretation
    Wannabe writers
    Anal expressive through mental masturbation

Now I'm deep, and when I wear my cardigan, impressionable college chicks will dig me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    of course you guys don't appreciate poetry -

how many poets appreciate NFL football?

meatheads and poets don't mix that doesn't mean one side sucks the other side rules. People are just different.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]of course you guys don't appreciate poetry -

how many poets appreciate NFL football?

meatheads and poets don't mix that doesn't mean one side sucks the other side rules. People are just different.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, bit's right. Let's try to be more open-minded.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I'm always right
    and you suck.

Wow, expanding my horizons is actually pretty fun!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bitonti -

I can confidently state that 99% of people who are into poetry are not people I would ever want to hang out with, aside from temporary flings with chicks who are English majors (most of them are easy, am I wrong?). Guys who are into poetry generally refuse to drink cheap beer even if offered it for free, wear scarves in September, listen to music like Leonard Cohen, Bauhaus and Siouxie and the Banshees, smoke clove cigarettes and have nappy hair.

English majors are a funny lot - convinced that English is actually a difficult, challenging subject. Please....
    Last edited by jets5ever; 08-18-2005 at 04:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wasn't defending poetry or poets just stating a fact - we might be on different sides of the fence politically but we can all agree male Poets are pansies (and female English majors are in fact easy - but also crazy!)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]i wasn't defending poetry or poets just stating a fact - we might be on different sides of the fence politically but we can all agree male Poets are pansies (and female English majors are in fact easy - but also crazy!)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are crazy as hell. I hear you dude...I am a meat-head, no argument here. Pumped for the Jetsies tomorrow night. The home Testaverde jersey is being cleaned as we speak (type)!

Chad better step up this year man, all kidding aside. He better be as good as people think he is. We haven't had this good of a shot since 1999. C'MON!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]
    Chad better step up this year man, all kidding aside. He better be as good as people think he is. We haven't had this good of a shot since 1999. C'MON!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

i am an optimist by nature but i think this year will be a long and tough road. Nothing is handed to anyone in the NFL and as they say "the other side gets paid too" - for as great of a shot the Jets have (and i agree on paper it all looks great) the road to the super bowl is long and you have to get lucky with injuries. 31 teams fall short every year and they don't all suck. Im not making excuses but let's be honest for the Jets to get to Detroit they are gonna have to beat the patsies at least 2 and maybe 3 times. That's a tall order.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like poetry, appreciate it, too. My favorite writers Bukowski, Steinbeck, Hemingway - poets all.

Why are we talking about this, anyway?

[B]Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening[/B]

[I]Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village, though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it's queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there's some mistake.
    The only other sound's the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep. [/I]

- Robert Frost

I wouldn't care to know the guy who could take the time to really read that and not appreciate it.