Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Court rules atheism a religion

Court rules atheism a religion
    Decides 1st Amendment protects prison inmate's right to start study group
    Posted: August 20, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A federal court of appeals ruled yesterday Wisconsin prison officials violated an inmate's rights because they did not treat atheism as a religion.

"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

The court decided the inmate's First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, called the court's ruling "a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence."

"Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion," said Fahling.

The Supreme Court has said a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion.

Fahling said today's ruling was "further evidence of the incoherence of Establishment Clause jurisprudence."
    [url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45874[/url]

If athiesm is a religion, does the banning of Christian and Jewish symbols (such as Nativity displays, the Menorah, and the Ten Commandments) from public places constitute an unconstitutional endorsement by the State of athiesm as a religion?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]

If athiesm is a religion, does the banning of Christian and Jewish symbols (such as Nativity displays, the Menorah, and the Ten Commandments) from public places constitute an unconstitutional endorsement by the State of athiesm as a religion?[/QUOTE]

Sure sounds like it; thanks 7th Circuit Court! :cool:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0060760508.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99][IMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0060760508.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

go shoot yourself so you can see your precious jesus faster, and shoot bush while you are at it

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Jetsin05, time for you to say bye bye

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn"t your signature a little too big?

[QUOTE=jetman67]Jetsin05, time for you to say bye bye[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Isn"t your signature a little too big?[/QUOTE]
    The image is 100% compliant. The large print portion of my signature is temporary to support the new stadium proposed for Queens.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

He was on my ignore list, so I wont notice it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

:eek: pwned by the Master! :yes: :byebye: :applause:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]Court rules atheism a religion
    Decides 1st Amendment protects prison inmate's right to start study group
    Posted: August 20, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A federal court of appeals ruled yesterday Wisconsin prison officials violated an inmate's rights because they did not treat atheism as a religion.

"Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being," the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

The court decided the inmate's First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.

Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, called the court's ruling "a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence."

"Up is down, and atheism, the antithesis of religion, is religion," said Fahling.

The Supreme Court has said a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being. In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion.

Fahling said today's ruling was "further evidence of the incoherence of Establishment Clause jurisprudence."
    [url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45874[/url]

If athiesm is a religion, does the banning of Christian and Jewish symbols (such as Nativity displays, the Menorah, and the Ten Commandments) from public places constitute an unconstitutional endorsement by the State of athiesm as a religion?[/QUOTE]

somewhere, my man george carlin has gotta be laughing.

sabbath day, lords name, strange gods...

spooky language..............

SPOOKY LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! designed to scare and control primitive people..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    DONT DO IT JMAN! 05 is a good poster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16]somewhere, my man george carlin has gotta be laughing.

sabbath day, lords name, strange gods...

spooky language..............

SPOOKY LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! designed to scare and control primitive people..[/QUOTE]

You do seem a little nervous about this subject, 16. I saw how you threatened to report SD to the authorities when he offered to pm you.
    [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97452&page=3[/url]

ROFLMAO!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]You do seem a little nervous about this subject, 16. I saw how you threatened to report SD to the authorities when he offered to pm you.
    [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97452&page=3[/url]

ROFLMAO![/QUOTE]
    lmfao. hey, i think priests are great as much as the next person does, but when sd talks about wanting to "help me out", you can damn well bet im printing a copy of that out in case at 5 am in the morning somebody in a gastineau jersey is ringing on my doorbell.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess this means I'm religious.

An interesting stat from prison is that the fastest growing religion is Sun Worshipers because they are allowed time outside to stare at the sun.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Atheism (The belief that there is NO God at all) is indeed equivalent to a religion IMO, although only very slightly.

Agnosticism (loosely defined (by me) as neither belief nor non-belief due to insuficient information) is the only "belief structure" that I feel is truly non-religious and not required to back their belief-struture with some kind of faith in there being a God or not. An aganostic like me doesn't really care, and sure doesn;t think he (or she) knows for sure. To me, that is open mindedness at it's best, but I know many, on boith sides, don;t like such a viewpoint.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Atheism (The belief that there is NO God at all) is indeed equivalent to a religion IMO, although only very slightly.

Agnosticism (loosely defined (by me) as neither belief nor non-belief due to insuficient information) is the only "belief structure" that I feel is truly non-religious and not required to back their belief-struture with some kind of faith in there being a God or not. An aganostic like me doesn't really care, and sure doesn;t think he (or she) knows for sure. To me, that is open mindedness at it's best, but I know many, on boith sides, don;t like such a viewpoint.[/QUOTE]

[img]http://www.houdeart.bc.ca/images/prints/fencesitter.jpg[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15]I guess this means I'm religious.

An interesting stat from prison is that the fastest growing religion is Sun Worshipers because they are allowed time outside to stare at the sun.[/QUOTE]
    george carlin also seemed to like the thought of worshipping the sun, its easy to do and it doesnt ask for anything in return. also, as you well know, joe pesci is a good alternative as well, hes the type of guy that gets **** done. there actually is evidence that he gets **** done because for years carlin prayed to god to shut up his neighbors annoying dog, never happened. carlin sent joe pesci over there and he shut that dog up quick. as carlin said, its amazing what you can do with a simple baseball bat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15][img]http://www.houdeart.bc.ca/images/prints/fencesitter.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

Whatever Section. :rolleyes: I've been called it before by much better debaters than yourself. I'm secure in my viewpoint, since my view doesn't say DEFINITELY yes or no, because no one, not a single person on this whole planet, can prove it one way or the other.

Personally, I wonder about folks who believe 100% unquestionably, one way or the other, without even a shred of actual evidence.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Whatever Section. :rolleyes: I've been called it before by much better debaters than yourself. I'm secure in my viewpoint, since my view doesn't say DEFINITELY yes or no, because no one, not a single person on this whole planet, can prove it one way or the other.

Personally, I wonder about folks who believe 100% unquestionably, one way or the other, without even a shred of actual evidence.[/QUOTE]

I was alluding to certain individuals who like to call you that when you don't side with one extreme or the other.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15]I was alluding to certain individuals who like to call you that when you don't side with one extreme or the other.[/QUOTE]

Then throw me a smiley next time Section. Remember, I'm sensative. Sitting on these fences all day is giving me a sore ***. :D