Thread: OT: how about Mike Jacobs with the Mets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: how about Mike Jacobs with the Mets

guy comes up and in his first 13 ABs has 4 HRs and 9 RBIs batting .538.

I know it's too early to tell but this guy looks like he's here to stay.

btw, Mets are winning 18-4, another almost flawless outing by Jae Seo

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the guy looks VERY disciplined at the plate........he seems calm and tough..the type that can handle new york...and he has had a magical head start........he's def a keeper

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was at the game tonight....kid is the real deal IMO. Has the patience and presense to be a player.....GO METS AND JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    mets suck

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doug Mientkiewicz meet the bench !

Mike Jacobs is off to a stellar start, hopefully he doesnt get over confident and continues to play well and provide the missing bat at 1B.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm a yankee fan, but i have to admit...
    ... the kid has a nice swing

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    he looks really good lets hope willie keeps him on first base and doesn't send him back to the minors

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sufferingjetsfan
    he looks really good lets hope willie keeps him on first base and doesn't send him back to the minors
    I was just looking up his stats from AA...he was hitting .321 with 23 HR 93 RBI, so although he won't keep up this pace, he is definitely a hitter with a future and not a flash in the pan.

I also think his natural position is at catcher, so that is encouraging knowing that we'll have a hole to fill back there next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my co-workers who loves minor league ball says that while he is a very good hitter, he is average at best behind the plate. I say keep him on 1st, and find a FA catcher in the off season. If they think Castro can be an everyday player back there, thats even better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by helbigjet
    One of my co-workers who loves minor league ball says that while he is a very good hitter, he is average at best behind the plate. I say keep him on 1st, and find a FA catcher in the off season. If they think Castro can be an everyday player back there, thats even better.
    the other night in the booth they were saying that he doesnt even really think of himself as a catcher...and as much as i like doug mienlakjf;dsalkj, i say jacobs plays until he stops performing, nuff said...because since he came up the mets are all of a sudden putting it all together, at least for those few games...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's got a big lefty, Strawberry swing. I watched the game and was practically hoping for the D-backs to throw him high heat, see what he could do with it. We know he know he can hit the low stuff. Exciting addition to the Mets and not out of, excuse the term, left field. 25 HRs in Binghampton, is that right? Mets are stacked.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As a Mets fan of 40 years, I'm trying not to get too excited. But there's lots to like about this kid's swing, power, and glove at 1b. Kind of reminds me of John Olerud with more pop.

However, let's see how he handles the better pitchers and if he can adjust to the inevitable high and tight chin music he's going to get now that he's feasted on the low-and-in stuff. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this club has a keeper.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer
    Doug Mientkiewicz meet the bench !

Mike Jacobs is off to a stellar start, hopefully he doesnt get over confident and continues to play well and provide the missing bat at 1B.
    Is Doug the next Wally Pip?

Is it just me, or does this kids swing remind you a bit of Chipper?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can just tell by his swing, that he will have a long, prosporous career in the majors.

just imagine if he keeps this up, and we bring up anderson hernandez next year for second base, we can posibly have our future infeild set for many years to come. all we would need is a catcher(cough... ramon hernandez... cough)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428
    you can just tell by his swing, that he will have a long, prosporous career in the majors.

just imagine if he keeps this up, and we bring up anderson hernandez next year for second base, we can posibly have our future infeild set for many years to come. all we would need is a catcher(cough... ramon hernandez... cough)
    isnt pudge rodriguez a FA thie year?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    maybe, not sure

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    At his age, Pudge is not a long term answer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    No. He signed a 4 year deal last season. He has 2 more years after this one. By the way, IMO, this guy was definitely taking steroids before this season. He no longer is "Pudge" as he lost about 30 pounds in between seasons and his power is way down. Not to mention, he was named in Canseco's book.