Thread: A family to be proud of

Jets Insider VIP

A family to be proud of

By DEBORAH ORIN Bureau Chief

August 25, 2005 -- WASHINGTON President Bush yesterday spotlighted a brave military mom whose husband and five sons have served in Iraq a clear contrast with anti-Bush protester Cindy Sheehan, who's demanding a pullout.

"There are few things in life more difficult than seeing a loved one go off to war. Here in Idaho, a mom named Tammy Pruett . . . knows that feeling six times over," Bush said as the crowd broke into applause for her.

[B]Bush quoted her as saying: "I know that if something happens to one of the boys, they would leave this world doing what they believe, what they believe is right for our country. And I guess you couldn't ask for a better way of life than giving it for something you believe in."[/B]

Pruett has four sons serving in Iraq with the Idaho National Guard; her husband and another son came back from Iraq last year after helping train firefighters in the city of Mosul, Bush said.

"America lives in freedom because of families like the Pruetts," Bush said.

"An immediate withdrawal of our troops, as some have called for, would only embolden the terrorists and create a staging ground to launch more attacks against America and free nations."

Then Bush vowed: "So long as I'm the president, we will stay, we will fight, and we will win the war on terror."

He also linked the war in Iraq back to 9/11, saying terrorists hope to "force us to retreat" so they can find a new base to train for attacks on America as they once trained in Afghanistan.

Shining the spotlight on Pruett as a kind of anti- Sheehan was part of a strong Bush push-back against anti-war activists after weeks of vacation where he said little while support for the Iraq war declined.

A day earlier, Bush told reporters that an immediate pullout as Sheehan, whose son Casey was killed in the war, has demanded "would weaken the United States," adding that "she doesn't represent the view of a lot of the [military] families I have met with."

-----------------------------------------

Stuff lilke this restores my faith in this country....especially the bolded part. :cool:

so when Bush uses the experiences of a war affected family for political reasons it's fine and even encouraging. When Cindy Sheehan does the same thing she's a skank.

thanks for clearing that up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not at all - he's just showing that not all "war families" feel the way Sheehan does.

How do you actually feel about the story - partisan stuff aside?

[QUOTE=quantum]
    How do you actually feel about the story - partisan stuff aside?[/QUOTE]

If they can believe in the cause then I say good luck to them. It's always better to think positively in a situation like that then think negatively.

In the end it will be more about results than resolve. There's no question American citizens will run through a wall if Bush wants them to - the question comes will it all be worth it? What is the goal?

[QUOTE=quantum]By DEBORAH ORIN Bureau Chief

August 25, 2005 -- WASHINGTON President Bush yesterday spotlighted a brave military mom whose husband and five sons have served in Iraq a clear contrast with anti-Bush protester Cindy Sheehan, who's demanding a pullout.

"There are few things in life more difficult than seeing a loved one go off to war. Here in Idaho, a mom named Tammy Pruett . . . knows that feeling six times over," Bush said as the crowd broke into applause for her.

[B]Bush quoted her as saying: "I know that if something happens to one of the boys, they would leave this world doing what they believe, what they believe is right for our country. And I guess you couldn't ask for a better way of life than giving it for something you believe in."[/B]

Pruett has four sons serving in Iraq with the Idaho National Guard; her husband and another son came back from Iraq last year after helping train firefighters in the city of Mosul, Bush said.

"America lives in freedom because of families like the Pruetts," Bush said.

"An immediate withdrawal of our troops, as some have called for, would only embolden the terrorists and create a staging ground to launch more attacks against America and free nations."

Then Bush vowed: "So long as I'm the president, we will stay, we will fight, and we will win the war on terror."

He also linked the war in Iraq back to 9/11, saying terrorists hope to "force us to retreat" so they can find a new base to train for attacks on America as they once trained in Afghanistan.

Shining the spotlight on Pruett as a kind of anti- Sheehan was part of a strong Bush push-back against anti-war activists after weeks of vacation where he said little while support for the Iraq war declined.

A day earlier, Bush told reporters that an immediate pullout as Sheehan, whose son Casey was killed in the war, has demanded "would weaken the United States," adding that "she doesn't represent the view of a lot of the [military] families I have met with."

-----------------------------------------

Stuff lilke this restores my faith in this country....especially the bolded part. :cool:[/QUOTE]
    that bush has a political agenda.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti]If they can believe in the cause then I say good luck to them. It's always better to think positively in a situation like that then think negatively.

In the end it will be more about results than resolve. There's no question American citizens will run through a wall if Bush wants them to - the question comes will it all be worth it? What is the goal?[/QUOTE]

Run through a wall? Is that a code-phrase for "blindly following like sheep"? :rolleyes:

I don't suppose you have any respect for them for following their beliefs...?

[QUOTE=quantum]Run through a wall? Is that a code-phrase for "blindly following like sheep"? :rolleyes:

I don't suppose you have any respect for them for following their beliefs...?[/QUOTE]
    i have no respect for people that are just trying to further their political careers by getting their 15 minutes of fame but at the same time lowering troops who dont support the war's morale and at the same time helping out the terrorists because these people are showing the terrorists that there is so much dissention here.

[QUOTE=quantum]I don't suppose you have any respect for them for following their beliefs...?[/QUOTE]

I respect them more for following their beliefs then i do extremist muslims that blow themselves up following theirs.

Also when i said run through a wall that's a good thing. great motivators get their charges to run through a wall for them. I have heard it said about Herman Edwards for example.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti]I respect them more for following their beliefs then i do extremist muslims that blow themselves up following theirs.

Also when i said run through a wall that's a good thing. great motivators get their charges to run through a wall for them. I have heard it said about Herman Edwards for example.[/QUOTE]

Nice tie-in ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[B]Some moms support war effort[/B]

I am the proud mother of two Army soldier sons. Both of my sons joined the military shortly after our country was attacked on Sept. 11, 2001. My oldest son served a tour in Iraq in 2003, and my second son is serving in Afghanistan ("Iraq pullout would weaken America, president says," News, Wednesday).

Every day that my sons are gone, I am afraid they may not come home alive. When they told me they wanted to join the Army I was a bit apprehensive, to say the least. But both assured me this is what they wanted to do, to serve our country, especially now. With tears in my eyes, I proudly let them go. We all knew what could happen.

I watch the news constantly, and I pray for the soldiers we have lost as well as their families. Both of my boys have lost buddies in this war, but they are proud of them and know they wanted to serve.

I am disgusted when I hear and read about Cindy Sheehan and her protest against our president. She does not speak for me, my sons or the rest of my family and friends. I'm sorry Sheehan lost her son, but when she and other protesters trash our president, they do not speak for anyone but themselves.

All of our military soldiers are heroes. I support them, our country and President Bush.

-Tammy Pruett, whose husband and five sons have served in Iraq.

hey who cares if we win the war - just please don't put crosses in the ground! THAT we cannot abide!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti]hey who cares if we win the war - just please don't put crosses in the ground! THAT we cannot abide![/QUOTE]

bit - if I go to a pro-Bush rally, and hold up a sign that says "JetsInsider Political Forum Posters Love W!", how would you feel?