Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Pro-war kin take down crosses at Sheehan site: OMG! Deceased kin support the war!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Pro-war kin take down crosses at Sheehan site: OMG! Deceased kin support the war!

[B]Pro-war kin take down crosses at Sheehan site
    By Joyce Howard Price
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    August 25, 2005 [/B]

Military families disturbed by a sea of crosses erected by anti-war protesters near President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, have removed crosses bearing the names of their fallen children and transferred them to another site to show support for American troops in Iraq.

Anti-war protesters "never asked for my permission to put up a cross for my son for their cause," said Gary Qualls, whose son was killed in Iraq. "They are not respecting our sons and daughters."

The rival cross camps are evidence of a growing public backlash against the anti-war campaign of California activist Cindy Sheehan, who blames Mr. Bush for son Casey's death in Iraq and has called for immediate U.S. withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Gregg Garvey's son, Army Sgt. Justin Garvey, 23, was killed in Iraq in July 2003. On Tuesday, Mr. Garvey of Keystone Heights, Fla., removed two crosses bearing the name of his son that were posted at the Sheehan demonstration site -- dubbed "Camp Casey" -- outside the Bush ranch. "I also picked up crosses of two colleagues [of his son], after their parents gave me permission to remove their crosses as well," Mr. Garvey said yesterday.

The crosses were erected by a group called Veterans for Peace as part of Mrs. Sheehan's protest that began Aug. 6.

"One by one, [Mrs. Sheehan's] crosses are coming down," said Mr. Qualls, whose son, Louis Qualls, 20, was a Marine reservist killed in Fallujah last fall.
    Mr. Qualls, an Army veteran from Penwell, Texas, said he has removed three different crosses bearing his son's name from the nearly 600 erected on the narrow road leading to Mr. Bush's ranch. Each time he removed a cross, protesters replaced it, he said.

Last weekend, Mr. Qualls transferred the crosses to a site in downtown Crawford that's been nicknamed "Fort Qualls." Mr. Garvey moved his son's crosses there as well. By yesterday afternoon, friends and relatives of 13 other fallen soldiers had followed suit.

"More are on the way," Mr. Qualls said, based on the number of e-mails, letters and phone calls of support he has received.

Also, starting today, about 500 yard signs that say "Support Our Troops" and "Bush Country" will be placed on property directly across from Camp Casey by a group called GrassFire.org.

"We will also unfurl a huge American flag" to fly at the site, which is being called "Camp Reality," said Steve Elliott, president of GrassFire.org. He said his group has collected 400,000 petitions supporting both Mr. Bush and U.S. troops.

In a telephone interview yesterday from Fort Qualls -- outside the Yellow Rose souvenir shop in Crawford -- Mr. Qualls called Mrs. Sheehan's group "left-wing extremists." Her supporters include filmmaker Michael Moore and "gay rights activists, peace organizations and radical feminists," Mr. Qualls said.

"Everything they want to do is contrary to what I taught my son," he said. "Our fallen heroes deserve nothing but pure honor and respect."

Julie Curtis-Win of Fort Hood, Texas, executive director of the Texas Military Family Foundation, was at Fort Qualls yesterday, having been asked to go there by some of the 500 Fort Hood soldiers deployed to Iraq last week.

"They wanted me to go to say we support our troops and that America is one. So we're up here trying to do the right thing," said Mrs. Curtis-Win.

During the past three years, she said, about 100,000 troops from Fort Hood have been sent to Iraq or Afghanistan. On Tuesday, some mothers of Fort Hood soldiers killed in Iraq removed their crosses from Camp Casey and transplanted them at Fort Qualls. Mothers who found duplicate crosses bearing their sons' names at the anti-war site took the extras home, Mrs. Curtis-Win said.

She condemned the placement of the crosses at Camp Casey as "very, very disrespectful."

A pro-troop "You Don't Speak for Me, Cindy" tour, organized by a conservative group called MoveForwardAmerica.org, that began in California is due to arrive in Crawford this weekend.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]A pro-troop "You Don't Speak for Me, Cindy" tour, organized by a conservative group called MoveForwardAmerica.org, [/QUOTE]

These people are a bunch of skanks who have sided with wacko Right groups like MoveForwardAmerica. They are a PAWN of the RIGHT. They dont care about the troops, these parents have a political agenda. They are dishonoring the troops who disagree with the war, they are affecting those troops morale... THEY MUST BE SILENCED AT ALL COSTS!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]These people are a bunch of skanks who have sided with wacko Right groups like MoveForwardAmerica. They are a PAWN of the RIGHT. They dont care about the troops, these parents have a political agenda. They are dishonoring the troops who disagree with the war, they are affecting those troops morale... THEY MUST BE SILENCED AT ALL COSTS![/QUOTE]

Do you ever lose bladder control when you post?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    political agenda, they just want their 15 minutes of fame. what a bunch of pieces of ****. trying to sabotage our troops who disagree with the war.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something I overlooked the first time I read this:

There are [B]multiple[/B] crosses with the same name on it? Well, well, well - if that doesn't show the true agenda of the Loony Left, I don't know what does. Make it look like there are more dead than there really are?

Please - someone explain that one. And bring your tap dancing shoes. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's hilarious to me that all the right wing posters are focusing on Sheehan and the crosses meanwhile everyone else is focusing on the fact that Iraq is a total s--thole on it's way to being an Islamic theocracy.

Way to have those priorities straight. Oh yeah Bush went to Iraq for all the right reasons. The planning? Flawless! The bring em on and mission accomplished comments? genius. And this lack of an exit strategy? Beautiful.

Bush should right the sequel to Il Princpi he's that dynamic of a leader. No really.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could make the same argument about Bosnia and Kosovo.

[QUOTE=bitonti]it's hilarious to me that all the right wing posters are focusing on Sheehan and the crosses meanwhile everyone else is focusing on the fact that Iraq is a total s--thole on it's way to being an Islamic theocracy.

Way to have those priorities straight. Oh yeah Bush went to Iraq for all the right reasons. The planning? Flawless! The bring em on and mission accomplished comments? genius. And this lack of an exit strategy? Beautiful.

Bush should right the sequel to Il Princpi he's that dynamic of a leader. No really.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=inchadwetrust]You could make the same argument about Bosnia and Kosovo.[/QUOTE]

you could... except Clinton didn't lose a single US life. I have alot more patience for military exercises that are free of US bloodshed.

To be honest I believe every "war" since WWII has been illegal undeclared by congression act of war - and unnecessary.

But that's neither here nor there.

It's real a shame that Bush supporters are content holding their leader to the standard of "better than Clinton" - you could have a fungus in the oval office that would have a better foreign policy than Clinton. The guy was clueless. That doesn't mean Bush is a genius just cause he's better than Bubba. It's a ridiculously low standard.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [B]Mason (TX) mom against 'peace mom'
    San Angelo Standard Times ^ | August 26, 2005 [/B]

Sue Ann Wood might talk to Cindy Sheehan if she meets her this weekend in Crawford.

What she would tell her is ''not for polite ears,'' Wood said. Wood, who like Sheehan lost a son in the Iraq war, said she understands the California woman's pain but doesn't agree with the so-called ''peace mom'' camped outside President Bush's Crawford ranch.

Wood's son, Marine Lance Cpl. Mathew Puckett, of Mason was killed in September in Iraq. Wood went to Crawford last weekend to protest what Sheehan is doing and plans to return Saturday.

Wood, who said she doesn't follow the news of the war much, grew upset when someone told her Puckett's name had been placed on a cross used by anti-war protestors. She immediately decided to go to Crawford. Wood, who had lived in Masonwhen her son was killed, has since moved to Austin.

Mason is 104 miles southeast of San Angelo.

''My son and family do not believe the way she feels,'' Wood said. ''He died for this country and believed in their cause.''

While in Crawford, a fellow Bush supporter found Puckett's cross and took it to Wood. She removed her son's name from the cross and took the cross back to the anti-war protestors, she said.

Wood said Sheehan and other protestors are dishonoring the men and women serving in the military.

''I miss my son every day and grieve every day,'' she said. ''I just personally think she is a traitor. I don't approve of her views and I don't appreciate her views. She's wrong.''

Wood, who met President Bush at Camp David in December, said her son told her he believed in the war.

Wood said she still supports the war ''100 percent.''

''As far as I'm concerned, every young man and woman that even registers and goes into the military is a hero,'' she said.

Sharon Westbrook, mother of Pfc. Jason Poindexter, a San Angelo Marine who also died in September in Iraq, said her son, as well as Sheehan's son, chose to fight in the war. Westbrook also disagrees with Sheehan's protests, but doesn't want to go to Crawford because anti-Sheehan protestors will only draw more media to her, she said.

''I want to make a stance, but I want to do it somewhere else,'' she said. ''I don't agree with her, but my heart goes out to her. Part of me wants to believe she is stuck in the anger stage.''

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]it's hilarious to me that all the right wing posters are focusing on Sheehan and the crosses meanwhile everyone else is focusing on the fact that Iraq is a total s--thole on it's way to being an Islamic theocracy.

Bush should right the sequel to Il Princpi he's that dynamic of a leader. No really.[/QUOTE]

If anyone is ignoring the real issues, its not the Right, whether on this board or national politics: we're looking for real debate, not emotional appeals designed to derail any action whatsoever.

(kudos on the reference, though!)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum]If anyone is ignoring the real issues, its not the Right, whether on this board or national politics: we're looking for real debate, not emotional appeals designed to derail any action whatsoever.

(kudos on the reference, though!)[/QUOTE]

Real issues? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Section109Row15]Real issues? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The ones bit raised.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know what? The thing that bugged me most about this article was the news that the Sheehan camp was replacing the named crosses that parents had removed. That's an utter and appalling lack of respect. If they wanted to put up blank crosses, to represent numbers, that would be one thing - but using the names of fallen soldiers against their famillies' wishes? Unbelievable.