Thread: Progressive My Arse

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Progressive My Arse

Last week when purchasing a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

[B]Teaching Math In 1950 [/B]
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

[B]Teaching Math In 1960[/B]
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

[B]Teaching Math In 1970[/B]
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

[B]Teaching Math In 1980[/B]
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

[B]Teaching Math In 1990[/B]
    A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

[B]Teaching Math In 2005[/B]
    Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producción es $80
    Last edited by shakin318; 08-25-2005 at 12:11 PM.

:clapper:

[QUOTE=shakin318]

Because of the [B][U]evolution[/U][/B] in teaching math since the 1950s:[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean the "Intelligent Design" of Math??? :P

Actually, all kidding aside, your point is right on and accurate, sadly.

don't even bother comparing our students to the best that India or japan have to offer - the results will bring you to tears.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]don't even bother comparing our students to the best that India or japan have to offer - the results will bring you to tears.[/QUOTE]

Whatever the reason for the decline in our educational system (and we could debate that for years), you're right. People laugh when Jay Leno interviews grown people on the street and they think New Jersey is the capitol of New York. I get sick to my stomach.

[QUOTE=shakin318]Whatever the reason for the decline in our educational system (and we could debate that for years), you're right. People laugh when Jay Leno interviews grown people on the street and they think New Jersey is the capitol of New York. I get sick to my stomach.[/QUOTE]

I read an op-Ed (actually posted it on this forum [url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94767[/url])

about a guy who was Indian and very successful in America - he was at the bottom of his class in Bombay - when he got here he was instantly in the top of his class - he realized that if he had to move back to Bombay for business reasons, his kids (which were in the top of their American classes) would have to be enrolled in remedial math and science if the family moved back - and maybe they would never catch up.

[QUOTE=shakin318]Last week when purchasing a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

[B]Teaching Math In 1950 [/B]
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

[B]Teaching Math In 1960[/B]
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

[B]Teaching Math In 1970[/B]
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

[B]Teaching Math In 1990[/B]
    A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

[B]Teaching Math In 2005[/B]
    Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producción es $80[/QUOTE]
    im getting the feeling that this isnt actually your story but rather just a joke you heard from somebody and decided to post it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=shakin318]
    [/QUOTE]

lol! But shame on you for making a lower lifeform cry. :tsk:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16]im getting the feeling that this isnt actually your story but rather just a joke you heard from somebody and decided to post it.[/QUOTE]

You should be seeing these questions in about 3 weeks.

[QUOTE=quantum]You should be seeing these questions in about 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]
    thats right, im the crem de la crem of the crop. i remember hearing a few years back that if you take calc in high school that you're automatically in the top 1% of students no matter how you do.