Thread: Don't fly Northwest!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't fly Northwest!

As I'm sure many of you have heard Northwest Airline mechanics have gone on strike the past week. They've employed a SCAB union (IAM) to bring in barely trained and partially knowledged scabs to fix their aircrafts. There have already been many long delays and cancellations due to the idiocy of these scabs. (6 guys to change a tire??)

This subject is very personal to me, as my father, who's been a NW mechanic for close to 20 years is now on strike. Northwest's demands are incredibly ridiculous and many speculate that NW chairmen let this happen to break up a real union and bring in SCAB union they know they can control. This will not only affect NW mechanics but other airlines will use this as a basis to break up their unions. The safety of the customers who fly NWA is very uncertain. So I implore you not to fly NWA. Thanks!

~Rob Donigian (Jetlag)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetlag]As I'm sure many of you have heard Northwest Airline mechanics have gone on strike the past week. They've employed a SCAB union (IAM) to bring in barely trained and partially knowledged scabs to fix their aircrafts. There have already been many long delays and cancellations due to the idiocy of these scabs. (6 guys to change a tire??)

This subject is very personal to me, as my father, who's been a NW mechanic for close to 20 years is now on strike. Northwest's demands are incredibly ridiculous and many speculate that NW chairmen let this happen to break up a real union and bring in SCAB union they know they can control. This will not only affect NW mechanics but other airlines will use this as a basis to break up their unions. The safety of the customers who fly NWA is very uncertain. So I implore you not to fly NWA. Thanks!

~Rob Donigian (Jetlag)[/QUOTE]
    that blows, good luck to your dad.

btw, did tex actually say that?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16

btw, did tex actually say that?[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

No, he didn't I just enjoy busting his chops.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetlag]Thanks.

No, he didn't I just enjoy busting his chops.[/QUOTE]
    ****. i wouldve really looked forward to that, o well..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob out of respect for our friendship i promise not to fly Northwest.

The shame here is that big labor is so effed up they won't stand with their brothers. I've heard it said that the union that represents these mechanics are considered "raiders" taking members away from other unions. It sounds messy but hopefully it get resolved in a positive fashion. In general the airline industry is a nightmare.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Northworst was a crappy airline already and now this?

who wants to go to Minnesota anyway?

Good luck to your dad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Rob out of respect for our friendship i promise not to fly Northwest.

The shame here is that big labor is so effed up they won't stand with their brothers. I've heard it said that the union that represents these mechanics are considered "raiders" taking members away from other unions. It sounds messy but hopefully it get resolved in a positive fashion. In general the airline industry is a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Matt and Piper.
    IAM was the original union. They did a poor job of representing their members which is why they switched to AMFA. Now IAM is the union that is supplying NWA with all of these scabs. Coincindence? My belief is that Northwest views IAM more like a business partner then anything else and one that they can control.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jetlag - out of curiosity, what are Northwest's demands?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Jetlag - out of curiosity, what are Northwest's demands?[/QUOTE]

im not jetlag but this is what I found.

[QUOTE]Of the 9,700 mechanics and other members of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) at Northwest four years ago, more than half have already been laid off. Now the company seeks to cut in half the remaining 4,400 jobs. It is demanding that workers take a 25 percent pay cut, a freeze in pensions, and an increase in subcontracting mechanics’ work. [/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]im not jetlag but this is what I found.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bitonti. I am assuming that Northwest's performance and profitability have been trending downwards steeply over the same period? (I'll check their financials in a bit...).

Hey Jetlag - how has NW been doing these last four years?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If thats what they're saying needs to be done to save the company, [B]AND management has to suffer also[/B], what can you do?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    NW is the only non-stop back to my home town, so until there's another, NW is it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum]If thats what they're saying needs to be done to save the company, [B]AND management has to suffer also[/B], what can you do?[/QUOTE]

I am willing to bet that lower management is and has been suffering, but the CEO is living large with his/her top managers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Thanks Bitonti. I am assuming that Northwest's performance and profitability have been trending downwards steeply over the same period? (I'll check their financials in a bit...).

Hey Jetlag - how has NW been doing these last four years?[/QUOTE]

Many believe the company basically wants to go bankrupt so their CEO's can take the money and run. They've been doing just as well as all the other major airlines, which is not great but able to run.

Basically Bitonti nailed the demands. Plus the mechanics were told that their jobs weren't guarenteed even if they signed off. Anyone looking to get into that industry should certainly reconsider. I must say I'm not as brushed up on the subject as I should be, especially since my father is the union rep but basically their not getting a fair deal. Hell my father even told me that the union would have signed off on a cut in pay but the other stuff including a cut in most medical and not having guarenteed jobs basically pushed them over the edge. At the end of it my father told me "I'll basically have to pay them $10/hour just to work there."

This strike is huge for the entire the airline industry. If they lose, other airlines will follow suit. This could get ugly.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Thanks Bitonti. I am assuming that Northwest's performance and profitability have been trending downwards steeply over the same period? (I'll check their financials in a bit...).

Hey Jetlag - how has NW been doing these last four years?[/QUOTE]

Not as good as they'll do in the next four years, once they get people who'll work for free.

Why do employees expect to be paid anyway?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]I am willing to bet that lower management is and has been suffering, but the CEO is living large with his/her top managers.[/QUOTE]

Probably - thats why they need to include shared pain in the agreement.