Thread: The War in Afganistan: Uzbek Vote to Expel U.S. Troops

The War in Afganistan: Uzbek Vote to Expel U.S. Troops

[QUOTE][B][U][SIZE=5]Uzbek Vote to Expel U.S. Troops[/SIZE][/U][/B]

Friday, August 26, 2005; Posted: 5:12 a.m. EDT (09:12 GMT)

From CNN.com

The U.S. had backed calls for a probe into a government crackdown on protesters in May.

TASHKENT, Uzbekistan (AP) -- The Uzbek upper house of parliament Friday backed the government's order that the United States withdraw troops from this Central Asian nation.

The 93 Senate members present at the session voted unanimously for a resolution that backs the government's July 29 order giving the United States six months to vacate Karshi-Khanabad, [U]an air base in the country's south that has been crucial for the U.S.-led anti-terror operations in neighboring Afghanistan[/U].

Observers said the order could be connected to a U.S. decision to join international demands for an independent investigation into a bloody crackdown on unarmed demonstrators in an eastern Uzbek city in May. One of the senators accused the United States of fueling extremism.

"We know that fundamentalist moods arise wherever U.S. bases appear. Enemies of the United States appear wherever there is a U.S. military presence, and we don't want to be caught in between," Kashkadarya region governor Nuritdin Zainiyev said before the vote.

The head of Senate's foreign relations committee and the country's former foreign minister, Sadyk Safayev, said the withdrawal of U.S. troops was demanded by Kashkadarya's people because of alleged environmental damage caused by the base's activity, including increased health problems among people and water and air pollution.

He also said U.S. troops must leave because the active stage of operations in Afghanistan was over.

The United States and other Western countries harshly criticized Uzbekistan for its use of force against unarmed civilians in Andijan on May 13 and called for an international investigation, which the government has rejected.

Uzbekistan issued the demand for the U.S. withdrawal last month just hours after hundreds of Uzbeks who had fled to Kyrgyzstan after the Andijan uprising were relocated to Romania, a staunch U.S. ally, by the United Nations refugee agency.[/QUOTE]

Thoughts??

Jets Insider VIP
    They got mad cuz the US criticised them - maybe they should behave better?

the ridiculously small coalition of the willing just got a little bit smaller.

the really sick thing is that they were the ones that abandoned us not the other way around. The US talks a big game about human rights but we were whistling dixie while this atrocity went down.

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/14/AR2005051400501.html[/url]

maybe 20 years from now when it becomes politically viable to invade uzbekistan we will condemn their actions.

[QUOTE]Enemies of the United States appear wherever there is a U.S. military presence,[/QUOTE]

We have enemies?

F' em.

We should probably kill or capture as many of them as we can before they kill any more Americans working in tall office buildings.

As for the uzbeks- dont come to us for any more fuc%$# aid. The gloves came off on 9.11. Never forget.
    Last edited by Jetcane; 08-26-2005 at 07:27 PM.

What !!!!!! The Uzbeks turned against us ! I can not believe this! Tell me it aint so! These guys were our allies in the war on turrrrrrurrr. They turned over so many turrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrists who weve imprisoned in gitmo. Im in shock! I guess that is what happens when you back a dictator who boils his own people alive!

Whos gonna turn on us next? Pakistan? Saudi Arabia? Naaaaaaah ! They are true allies in the war on turrrrurrr.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just read something in today's paper that said the real reason behind the expulsion was pressure exerted by China and Russia. For one thing, they didn't want any observers during their joint military exercise "Peace Mission 2005" (what a crock of a name that is!).

[QUOTE=quantum]Just read something in today's paper that said the real reason behind the expulsion was pressure exerted by China and Russia. For one thing, they didn't want any observers during their joint military exercise "Peace Mission 2005" (what a crock of a name that is!).[/QUOTE]
    Do I believe yours or the cautious, thoughtful, and rational kennyo7's theory? Hmm.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Do I believe yours or the cautious, thoughtful, and rational kennyo7's theory? Hmm.[/QUOTE]

As a guide, I count exclamation points: he has far more than me. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=quantum]They got mad cuz the US criticised them - maybe they should behave better?[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it.

What about your thoughts, Fish?

Or are you just playing proctor again?

[QUOTE]Do I believe yours or the cautious, thoughtful, and rational kennyo7's theory?[/QUOTE]

You should believe mine! I speak to God directly and he told me that the leadership of uzbekistan was pure evil. Thats why in many prior posts I have stated that we can not trust a country with such an atrocious human rights record. Boiling people alive is not appropriate in a civilized nation.. When I said thhis all the right wing nut jobs on this sight criticized me. They responded that the Uzbeks ARE our allies and despite there own murdering of their people , we should play nice with them since they allowed us to use their nation for bases. I said be careful, Saddam was once considered a friend and now we are wasting our resources in trying to replace him. You all scoffed at this and said its ok to be friends with terrorist countries like Uzbekistan so long as they help us now. I said you can not trust them. I guess I was right. Thank you Jesus for showing me the truth so that I can shine your wisdom on those living in the dark like sackdance!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]You should believe mine! I speak to God directly and he told me that the leadership of uzbekistan was pure evil. Thats why in many prior posts I have stated that we can not trust a country with such an atrocious human rights record. Boiling people alive is not appropriate in a civilized nation.. When I said thhis all the right wing nut jobs on this sight criticized me. They responded that the Uzbeks ARE our allies and despite there own murdering of their people , we should play nice with them since they allowed us to use their nation for bases. I said be careful, Saddam was once considered a friend and now we are wasting our resources in trying to replace him. You all scoffed at this and said its ok to be friends with terrorist countries like Uzbekistan so long as they help us now. I said you can not trust them. I guess I was right. Thank you Jesus for showing me the truth so that I can shine your wisdom on those living in the dark like sackdance![/QUOTE]

We did criticize them for what they're doing and they threw us out, and yet you're still not happy. I give you another reason why they asked us to leave and you respond with this silly crap. And you wonder why people think you don't have 2 brain cells to rub together? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Piper]That's pretty much it.

What about your thoughts, Fish?

Or are you just playing proctor again?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I don't know what "playing proctor" means, although knowing you, I can make an educated guess.

I don't have any particular opinion on this one in terms of my position vis a vis the greater topic of the War, as I haven't really looked into the details of it.

It was news, was relevant to our (this boards) ongoing discussion of the War in Iraq and on Terror, and thought it worthy of being posted.

Nothing more, nothing less.

[QUOTE=quantum]We did criticize them for what they're doing and they threw us out, and yet you're still not happy. [/QUOTE]

untrue. The USA stood by and watched silently while the Uzbeks butchered their own people. We needed their airfields so we said nothing. This isn't something that happened 25 years ago it happened about 3 months ago. But don't worry like I said I am sure 25 years from now when we want to invade Uzbekistan for whatever reason, THEN we will talk about their atrocious human rights violations, just like we didn't say peep when our buddy Saddam was gassing his own people.